Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Parker's article, CRAZY GOOD read, once again

[or...]

I re-read this article I came across here on BB when I started this journey a year ago, and it never ceases to amaze me each time I read it, I find something new I didn't get before!  Today it was the fact I have a burning itch if I don't take Zyrtec.  Yesterday a gal told me how she was actually addicted to Zyrtec because whenever she didn't take it, the itch would start again after about 24 hours. 

My itchy skin started maybe 8 years ago, but it's the benzo wd.  I was in tolerance wd before the year I now have into my taper.  So I was covering up the sx by taking Zyrtec which now I have to deal with that "drug".  That's ok though, at least now I see the light on that one!

I was so grateful to run across a post this a.m. that I felt Parker's article might help the person posting.  When I shared it in a reply to them, I decided to read it again myself and found this part I'd never gotten before, it didn't hit home so to speak:

""The itch of a healing wound is caused by the growth of new cells underneath the old scab. New skin cells would be growing underneath, and as they form a new layer of skin, then the scab becomes more tightly stretched over this zone of activity. This can make it feel itchy. The itch sensation for burn survivors may be a tingling feeling caused by nerves re-growing, or from dry skin caused by the lack of natural oil production since oil glands may have been damaged or destroyed by the burn. As the nerves grow and start to receive and send messages, they may create that itchy feeling. The skin in this area will be a lot less thick than everywhere else, so these new nerve cells will be under a lot more pressure. Itching is a sign of healing." (Mayo Clinic) From Parker's "What is happening in your brain"

This really helped me get through the whole itch thing and ditch the Zyrtec.  It's not going to be easy, I'm starting to itch just thinking about it :laugh:  Other things that got my attention this a.m. in the article as well but the main, and biggest thing is I realize once again, that every single wd symptom I've had is a sign of healing.  I am tapering so my sxs aren't even close to what others are having, but I can't help but think that this article by Parker will help others with whatever they are going through getting off the benzos.  Like me, taking my time, and reading this a little at a time, and re-reading again, has been slow and steady like my taper, but every time, like I said, I find something that helps me so amazingly!  sending hope, love, and encouragement, oregonlady~~Denise :hug:PS If I have to, I'm going to keep saying over and over, I'm healing I'm healing when the itch starts to drive me crazy :classic_rolleyes:

[Ad...]

It’s a great article. Feel like shouting “bring on the symptoms!” although I guess I shouldn’t get over-zealous and just be GLAD to have some symptoms that are an indication of healing.

• Like 1