Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Do many people start to feel better during their taper?

[bu...]

I know we are all different, but im wondering how many people feel better as they taper, or near the end of the taper?  i have read some stories with people mentioning this. It would be cool if there was a section for success stories that were like as so: protracted recovery, Tapering recovery, End of taper ..... 

[Li...]

Hi.  I can say that I didn't.  My symptoms were pretty consistent through my whole taper.  I finished a 4.5 year taper about 3 months ago.  My symptoms still remain the same. 

[An...]

I think some ppl do (esp. if you are being polydrugged) but most people don't start to feel better until they are off and some time has elapsed.

I'm one of those who felt better to the end of tapering. That better doesn't mean well but it was a kind of qualitative leap. A week before i was a suffering mess and then ,hop, a painful human being) And it was really great!)

Edited by [...]

[Kh...]
3 hours ago, [[b...] said:

I know we are all different, but im wondering how many people feel better as they taper, or near the end of the taper?  i have read some stories with people mentioning this. It would be cool if there was a section for success stories that were like as so: protracted recovery, Tapering recovery, End of taper ..... 

once I passed acute due to tolerance and stabilized I felt a little better.  As the taper progressed I did not feel well,  but much better than acute for sure.  I jumped 7 weeks ago and am seeing slow, but steady improvements.  It’s a very long road.  Folks are here to support if ur feeling down. Even venting helps.   🤞 good luck.  

[Ma...]

I know some people do as they hit a certain dose.  It makes sense because you are healing as you taper down. At minute amounts of benzo before jumping, your receptors and GABA systems are recovering.  The whole point of tapering is to allow your brain to adjust/heal as you go and to prevent seizures and severe WD.  For some, that healing becomes noticeable before they are at zero.  Others will not start having noticable improvement until they are off but do eventually improve.  

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 2

[ji...]

i have been tapering for over 3 years now.  the past year ive been feeling good.  last month i was hit very hard with intense symptoms that landed me in the hospital for 2 days.  i am back to feeling good now and hopefully i will stay this way for this last bit of my taper

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[Ca...]

I have been tapering for 2 years and am down from 40 mgs valium and three .5 mg clonapin to 14 mgs of valium. I was at 12.2 but unable to get out of bed so it was suggested to go up to 14. The entire way has been progressively worse for me but I am severely kindled and was 67 when I started.....also I've been on and off of benzos for 25 years. Everyone is different. I am now holding at 14 and plan to do a slower microtaper...it was originally 1.37 mgs a month and then 1 mg a month and now it will either be .5 mg a month or 5 percent....but it will still be a microtaper.

[Bu...]

I started tapering in Feb. of 2023 and it was a lot of ups and downs.  But by late Apr. I felt better and for three glorious days, May 5-7, I was completely normal.  I mean better than I had been for 13 years.  When I made my next cut things became more difficult again, but I always remembered those days as proof that it will get better. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1