Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Losing weight during taper?

[ns...]

Before I was on benzos I was little. Always hung around 105 or so.

Then started losing weight after a gallbladder surgery. 

Then on Benzo's I kind of leveled out for awhile. 

With my 1st forced taper/withdrawal I went down to 83lbs. 

I was so unhealthy, Nothing fit me, even my shoes. I was concerned, doctors were also. 

Then I gained a little here and there but never enough!

With this taper I knew I needed to figure out how to at least keep my weight on.

Over time most of my go to foods I couldn't eat anymore and this was becoming a problem!

So I did some Research on healthy fats and a proper diet and went in an all healthy fat, no simple carb, high protein diet.

Minimal sugar. You can't get away from it.

Even though some of the foods like avocado, ketchup, fat milk and butter caused me some grief, I had to include these in my diet.

Nut butters like cashew and almond are high in fat and excellent sources of nutrients. High in b vit, e, calcium, fat, potassium and magnesium. So, I eat nut butter and wheat bread sandwiches for lunch and snack. 4 to 5 meals a day, 2 of them regular meals. Diet Discipline isn't easy but it's helping me with my weight and nutrition. 

Eggs are fattening and full of nutrients as well. B vit etc 

Wheat bread with every meal if your not gluten intolerant.

Fat milk, Every meal 1/2 cup

Russett Potatoes. Potassium c vit, etc

Broccoli b vit, calcium, potassium, magnesium 

Red meat full of potassium, fats and vit

Chicken for protein and full of zinc and other vit.

You get the picture.

I've grown sick and tired of this diet, but, I've gained a wopping 11lbs!

This is so great! I'm feeling better, still symptomatic but health wise, better. I'm getting back into some of my clothes, yay!

If you are losing weight, I know the struggle and I'd encourage you to try this diet Or Discipline yourself to research and eat healthy fats that work for you.  I'd be more than happy to copy my diet down for you if you'd like to try it.

I must admit though, that I've recently cheated and have eaten several chocolate muffins but I know I'm going to pay for this decision. Sugar is out for me,  my symptoms get so intense when I eat sugar treats, it's awhile before I have anymore, but, I still do it, I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, but it's been over 3 dang yrs or more since I've been able to have sweets and I'm a sugar hound! 🤣 so I except the consequences sometimes. 

But seriously, I know how unhealthy we can get during withdrawal and it's so important to catch it before it gets out of hand. 

Ive kind of made eating a habit. I know I need the fat and nutrients so thats something I tell myself, I have to have this and mmmm, I love this stuff!  Not really anymore, but I know what I have to do.

Only problem, I can't excercise to put this fat in its place lol, that stinks. I've always been in really good shape and I'm little, so there's that!

I will eventually get back in shape  though, I know I will.

Just thought I'd share this. Like I said, if you need some ideas, let me know!

Take care, I know, I always say that 😆 

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Correction

[Bu...]

Hey @[ns...],

Congrats on the 11 lbs!  I'm so glad it's working for you!  I always had the opposite problem of gaining weight while on my benzo, so the 13-ish lbs I lost this past year was fine to go. :)  

• Like 1

[ns...]
1 minute ago, [[B...] said:

Hey @[ns...],

Congrats on the 11 lbs!  I'm so glad it's working for you!  I always had the opposite problem of gaining weight while on my benzo, so the 13-ish lbs I lost this past year was fine to go. :)  

Yes I'm sure you don't miss those BurnTheShips lol

It's tough going through this, I just hope I can at least keep these extra lbs on. Time will tell i guess!

I've heard that some lose, some gain. I just hope this helps a little for those who are losing. I hears of one woman who lost over 45lbs, that's crazy, I would blow away!

Anyway, take care

Ns

• Like 1