Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is anyone experiencing benzo belly?

[Ma...]

Hello, anyone in your protracted phase of symptoms experiencing bad GI issues? To the point it affects your daily physical activities of home, work, school, etc. There are many times I feel disabled and have stay home & rest, like being bedridden. My symptoms are daily nausea, bloating, fullness after eating, loss of appetite, dull pains upper middle diaphragm area, shortness of breath, increased heart-rate, triggered anxiety.

• Like 1

[TH...]

I've noticed when I eat certain foods, it triggers chest pain. I'm ok with bland foods but when I fancy something a bit more tasty, it messes me up for a good few hours after eating. I'm constantly bloated and look pregnant. I think it's a common side effect 

[ns...]
1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

Hello, anyone in your protracted phase of symptoms experiencing bad GI issues? To the point it affects your daily physical activities of home, work, school, etc. There are many times I feel disabled and have stay home & rest, like being bedridden. My symptoms are daily nausea, bloating, fullness after eating, loss of appetite, dull pains upper middle diaphragm area, shortness of breath, increased heart-rate, triggered anxiety.

Mark787

Benzo belly! So sorry your having this!

What a cruel symptom!

I have this I guess, my belly is so tight, bloated as if I'm 6 months pregnant and I'm little! It seems to affect my breathing, put of breath really easy. Feel u

Full all the time. At night in bed its so uncomfortable, can't find a position to get comfortable. Stinging, tingling, spasms all over me when I stand but seems to be connected to this belly thing. My heart pounds, the tightness in my chest and stinging stops me in my tracks and I can't walk far. 

It's odd, when I lay down at night, it starts to relax, not all.the way but some. Then i.can sleep. When I wake up it starts in, but when I'm sitting up and get up, it's not good!

Thought I had pots! Idk

Just withdrawal symptoms I guess

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)

TFC900

Yes, same here, I'm sensitive to alot of foods. I try to stay away from carbs, sugar, junk foods, dairy or I'll get stomach pains & my whole body goes into a tail spin. I'm wondering if benzo belly mimics or cause gastritis, ibs because that's what my Dr. Said I have. I mention benzo belly & he never made any comments on that. 

Edited by [Ma...]

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Mark787

Benzo belly! So sorry your having this!

What a cruel symptom!

I have this I guess, my belly is so tight, bloated as if I'm 6 months pregnant and I'm little! It seems to affect my breathing, put of breath really easy. Feel u

Full all the time. At night in bed its so uncomfortable, can't find a position to get comfortable. Stinging, tingling, spasms all over me when I stand but seems to be connected to this belly thing. My heart pounds, the tightness in my chest and stinging stops me in my tracks and I can't walk far. 

It's odd, when I lay down at night, it starts to relax, not all.the way but some. Then i.can sleep. When I wake up it starts in, but when I'm sitting up and get up, it's not good!

Thought I had pots! Idk

Just withdrawal symptoms I guess

Nsindy

I feel for you. I understand what your going through because I deal with this too. It's so hard to enjoy life when we are suffering from benzo. I notice with benzo belly for me not to many windows with my gut. I guess this is the process we must go through in order for healing to happen. Thanks 👍 

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

[ns...]
1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

Nsindy

I feel for you. I understand what your going through because I deal with this too. It's so hard to enjoy life when we are suffering from benzo. I guess this is the process we must go through in order for healing to happen. Thanks 👍 

Thank u Mark787, 

When I try to describe this strange symptom along with others thar tag among with it. I think of tiny fibers, fibers with nerves at the end all over me. In my muscles and skin, deep inside tissue. Have you heard if sparklers? They are little sticks that we light on the fourth of July celebration and they crackle and pop wit spits of fire to wave. That is what these symptoms remind me of. Strange 

If I can put into a little bit of perspective and describe my symptom, it seems to help, then it doesn't seem to be unknown to me. This seems to help.

I watch trey Jones anxiety on YouTube, I think many of these symptoms are related to anxiety, chemical anxiety but the symptoms are similar. He helps me understand these and has healed completely of many related illnesses, ptsd, health anxiety etc

Maybe he can help u too, I hope.

I don't subscribe to his channel, i Just watch.

Take care 

Be healed soon,

Ns

• Like 1

[TH...]
53 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

TFC900

Yes, same here, I'm sensitive to alot of foods. I try to stay away from carbs, sugar, junk foods, dairy or I'll get stomach pains & my whole body goes into a tail spin. I'm wondering if benzo belly mimics or cause gastritis, ibs because that's what my Dr. Said I have. I mention benzo belly & he never made any comments on that. 

Yeah doctors tend to dismiss things related to benzo withdrawal. Especially here in the UK, most don't have a clue. I also found something called gastrocardiac. Worth a Google. But it's definitely related to withdrawal. I've never suffered with my stomach, always been slim and ate like a pig but unfortunately can't do that now. 

• Like 1

[no...]

Add me I'm tapering and have it too::) it's awful at  this time been like it for a few months now

Nova :smitten:

[Ka...]

Count me in too. I often feel like I’ve eaten barbed wire. Not good. 

[Be...]

I had GI issues through the last year and a half of my taper, that led me to eating a vey bland diet. Poached plain fish, plain baked chicken. baked or boiled potatoes, plain veggies, could not eat cruciferous ones. Oatmeal for breakfast with nothing but psyllium fiber (to keep bowels moving) and milk added. Took an H2 blocker to deal with acid, added Deglycyrrhizinated licorice tablet before dinner, aloe juice before meals, simethicone tablet after. dinner

That all kept the bloat down, relieved the acid problems, but it was such a boring diet. And I lost 25 lbs. At one point, I had problems with histamine, and took an expensive histamine breakdown supplement, and reduced histamine in food.  As I got lower, I was able to stop the supplement. I was able to start eating after I jumped from 2.75 mg of diazepam using NAD+ as an assist. The week I was receiving NAD+ treatment, I ate cheese and potato perogies every day. I was able to handle a PB&J sammie soon after. I just kept reintroducing foods gradually, assessing if I could tolerate it. I was eventually able to add cruciferous veggies again. By Fall of last year, I was almost back to a full diet. 

I did have the acid reflux return a few times, went back on meds, as I took an H2 blocker all through that latter part of my taper. Seems like every 3 - 4 months, it returns. Last time was right before Christmas. I just had it return in time for Easter. :mad: Back on meds, got so bad I added a PPI for 10 days, that usually knocks it down quickly, I'll stop that and stay on the H2 blocker for a bit, and try easing off again. I was actually hoping I was done with this by now, only to have it return with a vengeance.  I'm a little over a week shy of a year off. Some say everything got worse before they recovered. 

I'm still eating Easter dinner and munching on chocolate.  I've learned that no particular food triggers this.  It's not food related, it's functional. The stupid esophageal sphincter is relaxed, because benzos are such great muscles relaxers. So it's not a question of too much acid, but of the acid being able to escape, while normally that stupid sphincter would stay shut. In my case, it's back to it not shutting again, so I need to take meds to knock down the acid I need to digest, so I don't have so much of it escaping. Eventually, it closes again.

• 3 months later...
[Bi...]
On 30/03/2024 at 21:14, [[M...] said:

Yes nearly identical. 

Big meals trigger it and I think cheese also.New symptoms also developed, nightmares and shivering 

I'm ok as long as I don't eat too much