Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Intrusive thoughts and anxiety

[An...]

I can’t control my thoughts, I am making different scenario’s in my head and believe them, I try and remind myself it is the taper and anxiety but my intrusive thoughts make me believe this is all real has anyone suffered with intrusive thoughts: 

[Pa...]

Hey,

Yeah im dealing with Intrusive thoughts. I am in 11 weeks off benzos. Since the 9 week started i have do deal with it.

• Sad 1

[kn...]

I taught myself to meditate years ago using guided meditations and instructional recordings. One of the things that threw me into behavior health, and ultimately benzos were intrusive, impulsive, and ruminating thoughts.  The benzos helped until they didn't and therapy can only do so much.  Just a suggestion, but it puts my mind in neutral, empties the junk and one half hour is good for several more.  It can be done in any position that is comfortable.  Breathing correctly, eye positioning, etc. are important as well.  Scads of info is available everywhere if it sounds like something that you'd be interested in.  Best to you.  Keep on keeping on.  

• Love 1

[An...]
On 31/03/2024 at 07:47, [[P...] said:

Hey,

Yeah im dealing with Intrusive thoughts. I am in 11 weeks off benzos. Since the 9 week started i have do deal with it.

Yeah it’s so hard, I’m not sure if my head makes up false scenarios or my ptsd doesn’t help. Do you suffer ptsd ? 

[An...]
On 31/03/2024 at 09:00, [[k...] said:

I taught myself to meditate years ago using guided meditations and instructional recordings. One of the things that threw me into behavior health, and ultimately benzos were intrusive, impulsive, and ruminating thoughts.  The benzos helped until they didn't and therapy can only do so much.  Just a suggestion, but it puts my mind in neutral, empties the junk and one half hour is good for several more.  It can be done in any position that is comfortable.  Breathing correctly, eye positioning, etc. are important as well.  Scads of info is available everywhere if it sounds like something that you'd be interested in.  Best to you.  Keep on keeping on.  

Yes I felt like my intrusive thoughts/Ocd anxiety got worse on Benzos as well, but during taper. It’s horrid, as there are other symtoms I’m suffering with, I will try meditation thank you so much 

• Love 1

[Pa...]

@[An...]

It all started about 5 years ago when I started working regularly. Because of all the stress, I didn't sleep properly for about 8 months. I then had a panic attack where I thought I was suffocating. Over the next few months I checked my breathing regularly; I was also afraid of falling asleep until about 6 months ago. It was terrible, anxiety 24/7 to name just one of many symptoms. So I was working with very severe burnout. I then took various antidepressants but with no real effect, only Remerok helped me sleep. I would imagine this event led to PTSD. Since my withdrawal I have had intrusive thoughts, audible hallucinations. The funny thing is that it's always the same. Either a loud scream that I hear in my head or a laugh. Maybe it's just a repressed trauma because of what you've experienced. I don't know it.

[Br...]

Intrusive, looping thoughts and memories are common in withdrawal.  I suffered from this symptom too and I know how miserable it is.  I agree with @[kn...] that meditation is really helpful with this and other withdrawal symptoms.  I highly recommend the Headspace app and I hear really good things about the Calm app too. If you can make meditation a part of your daily routine you're more likely to get the most out of it - the benefit of it is cumulative.  I really found it helps me with shifting my focus away from thoughts and feelings that aren't serving me well (to put it mildly!).  I know Headspace offers a free trial of 2 weeks.  Calm probably has something comparable.

[Pa...]

@[Br...]

I will try that out, what helps me a lot is taking remeron. If i am taking remeron the Intrusive thoughts and audible hallucinations get very quiet sometimes non existent. I dont know why it helps so much but its good for me.

But i need a Lifestyle change for sure. Healthy diet, doing exercise etc.

[Br...]

@[Pa...] - I'm very glad remeron is helping you.  I think you're wise to consider developing healthy habits.  In my view good self care helps give your system the best conditions for healing. Plus you develop tools for coping that you can reach for throughout your life.  Learning how to treat ourselves with love and compassion is so important.

[Pa...]

the most nerve wrecking part its just start random. After i was back at work for 1 week the Intrusive thoughts and audible hallucinations are started.

I agree i think love yourself and beeing good to your Soul is a lesson to learn in Withdrawal.

• Like 1

[Br...]
6 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

the most nerve wrecking part its just start random. After i was back at work for 1 week the Intrusive thoughts and audible hallucinations are started.

This makes me think the symptoms intrusive thoughts and audio hallucinations were intensified by the added stress of being at work.

[Pa...]

It should be. I dont have the problems before. I guess the stress trigger this symptoms for the first time. It was horrible at first, its still very frightening cause it just pop up out of nowhere these symptoms. But to know its Withdrawal make it better.

• Like 1

[An...]

Thank you everyone for your stories and help I guess we have to ride it out