Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Two symptoms I'm struggling with - Sensitivity to things, and exercise intolerance.

[OD...]

Hi all. First time posting, but have been browsing since I discontinued benzos in the summer of 2022. Overall I have finally begun to see some progress the last few months in terms of symptom reduction, but there are two things that I'm still struggling with quite a bit:

1. I have become incredibly sensitive to things. I can no longer take basic OTC multi-vitamins, Vitamin D, Magnesium etc. as they all give me horrible mood swings, anger, irritability etc. Even things like tea, a small piece of chocolate, or a bit of sugar give me terrible anxiety. This wouldn't be something I'd be too bothered by, except that I am deficient in testosterone, and have been on testosterone replacement for the last ten years. Unfortunately, even at greatly reduced doses, the testosterone gives me the same mood-related effects as the other supplements. Without exogenous testosterone, this means I'm left feeling very lethargic, no libido etc. as my natural production is very low.

2. Exercise intolerance. Even fairly light exertion such as house chores, carrying groceries etc., leave me quite breathless and often even give me really scary heart palpitations. I can do light exercises laying down, but standing up makes it significantly worse, almost like POTS/Dysautonomia.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced either of these two issues and had them resolved over time, at almost two years they are the two most debilitating things I'm dealing with at the moment, though I'm hopeful they will eventually also improve.

[Bu...]

Hello @[OD...],

Welcome to Benzobuddies.

Congratulations on being off benzos!    And I am so glad that you have had some improvements with your symptoms.  

As you may know, we have a great, supportive community here, so I am sure that folks will be along soon to offer some opinions and advice.

We're glad you're here.

At 17 months I still have the exercise intolerance. It can set off panic. I can do one lap around Walmart if I push myself. Although sometimes it induces panic. Still a balancing act. But I've read plenty of long hauler stories and it does get better. Hang in there.

[ne...]

I came off in December of 2022 and still have a lot of physical symptoms but I absolutely relate to yours. I notice that I am SUPER sensitive to any stressors or sickness. I always have symptoms but it flares them. I get exactly like you in #2 in addition to a rush of almost what feels like blood through me with squeezing as well. I guess we just need more time. 

• Like 1

Yes be thankfully for any progress. I remember in acute just getting up and going to the restroom would leave me gasping. (Breathlessness)

Now I may get winded easily , but it's like just out of shape. That benzos breathlessness was horrible. (Good thing I was still psychotic from the benzos at that time. Or I would have went to the hospital  and gotten lobotomized by more chemicals .)

Just keep advancing and rest as much, or more than you think.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
[TH...]

I'm suffering with exercise intolerance at the moment. How does it get better? In the sense of how do you know when it's starting to lift? May sound daft but it feels like it's here to stay. 

• 4 months later...

What other symptoms have you had that have went away? It seems to me that if everything else went away then tis will too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

What other symptoms have you had that have went away? It seems to me that if everything else went away then tis will too.

After bad acute, my symptoms have been pretty consistently the same all physical - stuck in fight or flight high stress, thudding internally, sensitivities to all vitamins etc... exercise intolerant. I am in month 5 and feel way more sensitive now than 4 weeks ago. Dysautomnia is huge now finding that is more and more sensitive. I know being more sensitive is a good sign of healing (phase 3 I think they call it) 

I literally reacted to table salt yesterday (on doctors orders to try that for Dysautomnia) and got a little wave from it. But also realised I got covid march just before June when my WD started so I think the two are interlinked as had long covid symtpoms for 6 months post my first covid in 2022 that eventually healed. Both the valium and covid fucking with my CNS at the same time is what my body is trying to heal from right now. 

The symtpoms that have almost completely gone is all the mental stuff. Monophobia, panic attacks, Insomnia all went start of month 4. Mentally feeling alot better its just the physical left. Physically The cortisol surges do come and go now and the gut ache also comes and goes benzo belly.

Yeah still suffering slightly with the exercise intolerance. I can walk around my town ok, it's the anxiety that kicks in and the heart starts racing that's still there. Bit better but still present. I never do any strenuous exercise, just the bare minimum to get by. 

I've got food intolerances to certain things that I stay away from now. Especially caffeine and sugar mainly. 

I think I'm slowly healing....very slowly. I'm down to 2.25mg now so I'm slowly getting there. I was tempted to try these food intolerance tests you can get on Amazon. See what that comes back with. 

11 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Yeah still suffering slightly with the exercise intolerance. I can walk around my town ok, it's the anxiety that kicks in and the heart starts racing that's still there. Bit better but still present. I never do any strenuous exercise, just the bare minimum to get by. 

I've got food intolerances to certain things that I stay away from now. Especially caffeine and sugar mainly. 

I think I'm slowly healing....very slowly. I'm down to 2.25mg now so I'm slowly getting there. I was tempted to try these food intolerance tests you can get on Amazon. See what that comes back with. 

Thank so much for coming back on and replying.  I'm similar i can do walks and gentle yoga atm. Nothing strenuous and any weight training zings my CNS too much