Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Changing Doctor

I have had withdrawal symptoms every day. A psychiatrist added sertraline and seroquel to the mix in October. Then gabapentin, tizanidine and metformin by an addiction center doctors (3) who took me down from 2 mg to .5 mg klonopin in months. Tapered me again from .25 2x to .25 and the .125.  It's been 3 days now and I still don't have a prescription.

Here I learned of Dr Jodef and the TaperClinic.  I'm fortunate that I could afford it. Have to wait until Monday or Tuesday for new prescriptions doing the opposite.   Stabilize on klonopin, get off all these added drugs and taper reasonably avoiding the side effects.

I hope this is the best decision for my wellbeing. My goal is to feel "normal again and be able to drive.

Thanks for the recommendation.  It was taper clinic or nothing in Texas. 

[Li...]

@[...]

Congratulations and well done for finding a doctor who is willing to help you and has the knowledge, skills, and experience to do so!

I sure have taken the leap. Have to get through the weekend and Monday. My current dr and her clinic have dropped the ball on getting me medication refill for 3 days. I'm worn out. I have tried everything I know to do.

[Li...]

Oh dear. Are you completely out of clonazepam or do you have enough to get you through the next three days?  If not, does your current doctor have an emergency number you can call?  

Waiting to hear from them.  Somehow they send an incorrect da number

And no, I  don't. Sunday morning would be the last dose and it'll be Easter.  Everything will be closed. 

[Li...]

Good for you for staying on this!  You must be exhausted, but I’m sure you also know that the last thing you need at this point is an abrupt cessation.

If your current doctor hasn’t responded by tomorrow morning, you could try asking your pharmacist if they would intervene on your behalf.

If needed, you could remind your current doctor and/or pharmacist about the FDA boxed warning (see note) for clonazepam:

The continued use of benzodiazepines, including clonazepam, may lead to clinically significant physical dependence. The risks of dependence and withdrawal increase with longer treatment duration and higher daily dose. Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of clonazepam tablets after continued use may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, which can be life-threatening. To reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions, use a gradual taper to discontinue Klonopin or reduce the dosage.

Note: Boxed warnings (formerly known as Black Box Warnings) are the highest safety-related warning the US Food and Drug Administration can assign to medications.

Good info. Finally got a call and I'll have what I require for the weekend.  Ive been sooo angry  and unpleasant for the whole week. 

The support you give to me really helps. It's all I got right now.

Gonna try and get some sleep.

• Like 1

[Ca...]

I just found that taper clinic on line. Please let me know what type of taper schedule he recommends. My current prescriber does not know anything about benzo withdrawal but is willing to follow my suggestions which I received from the Ashton Manual and discussed with Dr Halligan and a benzo coach from the Netherlands. Good luck with his clinic. I hope his protocol works for you. Currently I was in such agony I updosed my valium a number of days in March from 12.2 where I was so I went back up to 14 to try and stabilize before I start tapering again. We are also going to taper only a half of a mg a month. I was tapering 1.37 then 1 and just around 12 mg seems to be a big bump area for me. Unfortunately, I am very kindled from cold turkeys and reinstating.