Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Moving during withdrawal. Bad idea? Good Idea?

[Bu...]

Ok folks,  here's the situation.  I live in an apartment.  It is a very nice apartment but it was only supposed to be temporary, about a year.  We moved here from another state and wanted to get our feet under us before looking at buying a house.  We put half our stuff in storage because this place is about 300 sq ft. smaller than our previous place and also doesn't have a garage.  Again, supposed to have been temporary...that was almost 5 years ago.  

Less than a year after the move, Covid hit.  Then real-estate went crazy.  Folks from the nearby city discovered what a lovely, wide-open place it is only an hour-ish south of them and started moving in.  Then word spread that it's a really, really lovely place to live (pandemic or not) and so more people came.  And are still coming.  As a result, the real estate market here has never evened out.  It just keeps going up.  So, now affordable houses are extremely rare. 

Add to this, rent has gone up considerably.  Marijuana was also fairly recently legalized in my state.  Everyone has apparently decide that they must try it and, I guess, smoking it is still cheaper than any other form of it.  So my apartment now occasionally smells like pot.  I am super sensitive to everything, so not a good situation for me.  Add to that the wafting of cigarette smoke from the three apartments that touch ours, ashes from said cigarettes covering my patio like dirty snow, and the sound of what must surely be a small child bouncing between a pogo stick and a trampoline above us, and I am about done.

And to add a little more insult to the Benzo injury, my husband went to our storage locker looking for some books and found brown recluse spiders and a 2 and 1/2 foot long snake skin...

All this to say, there is a house on the market that could work for us.  I used to have what I thought to be a fairly modest list of what I would like in a house:  1 and 1/2 bath, two bedrooms, a dishwasher, central heat and air, a garage or a car port and storage shed.  The  more extravagant "wish list" included things like a fire place, a gas stove, an attached 2-car garage, a basement, a fenced yard.  The list has now been whittled down to 2 toilets (we both had the flu at the same time right after we were married and living in a tiny one-bath apartment, so I just can't budge on that one).  That's it.  That is the only requirement.  So then this house has the requisite number of toilets.   It is also a little weird, but I am perfectly capable of calling that "character" and daring anyone to say otherwise.

My question to y'all:  given all of my current housing and storage situations, is it insane to consider buying and moving into a house during withdrawal?  My insomnia is still very awful and my mental symptoms seem to have revved up in the last month or so, but my physical symptoms are generally improving.  At least for now.

So, thoughts?  Anyone else done anything equally ridiculous during withdrawal...voluntarily?

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Move. Do it. How wonderful to have something to look forward to! Decorating, making it your home, arranging the furniture just the way you like it!! Talking about the perfect distraction-WOW!

New beginnings are the best. Leave the place that harbors memories of benzo w/d and start fresh, create new memories in a clean slate. Do it.

You can’t put life on an indefinite hold until you heal-you just can’t.

Show up in life when an opportunity arises. Show up disheveled, show up with 2 hours of sleep, show up messy and out of breath-just Show Up!

DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

[PE...]

Yeah I agree with the others. And i bet the price will just keep on rising. 

[or...]
23 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Ok folks,  here's the situation.  I live in an apartment.  It is a very nice apartment but it was only supposed to be temporary, about a year.  We moved here from another state and wanted to get our feet under us before looking at buying a house.  We put half our stuff in storage because this place is about 300 sq ft. smaller than our previous place and also doesn't have a garage.  Again, supposed to have been temporary...that was almost 5 years ago.  

Less than a year after the move, Covid hit.  Then real-estate went crazy.  Folks from the nearby city discovered what a lovely, wide-open place it is only an hour-ish south of them and started moving in.  Then word spread that it's a really, really lovely place to live (pandemic or not) and so more people came.  And are still coming.  As a result, the real estate market here has never evened out.  It just keeps going up.  So, now affordable houses are extremely rare. 

Add to this, rent has gone up considerably.  Marijuana was also fairly recently legalized in my state.  Everyone has apparently decide that they must try it and, I guess, smoking it is still cheaper than any other form of it.  So my apartment now occasionally smells like pot.  I am super sensitive to everything, so not a good situation for me.  Add to that the wafting of cigarette smoke from the three apartments that touch ours, ashes from said cigarettes covering my patio like dirty snow, and the sound of what must surely be a small child bouncing between a pogo stick and a trampoline above us, and I am about done.

And to add a little more insult to the Benzo injury, my husband went to our storage locker looking for some books and found brown recluse spiders and a 2 and 1/2 foot long snake skin...

All this to say, there is a house on the market that could work for us.  I used to have what I thought to be a fairly modest list of what I would like in a house:  1 and 1/2 bath, two bedrooms, a dishwasher, central heat and air, a garage or a car port and storage shed.  The  more extravagant "wish list" included things like a fire place, a gas stove, an attached 2-car garage, a basement, a fenced yard.  The list has now been whittled down to 2 toilets (we both had the flu at the same time right after we were married and living in a tiny one-bath apartment, so I just can't budge on that one).  That's it.  That is the only requirement.  So then this house has the requisite number of toilets.   It is also a little weird, but I am perfectly capable of calling that "character" and daring anyone to say otherwise.

My question to y'all:  given all of my current housing and storage situations, is it insane to consider buying and moving into a house during withdrawal?  My insomnia is still very awful and my mental symptoms seem to have revved up in the last month or so, but my physical symptoms are generally improving.  At least for now.

So, thoughts?  Anyone else done anything equally ridiculous during withdrawal...voluntarily?

I hoping and praying myself to be able to move!!  I'm gonna go for it, and hope you do too!!  This apartment has some of the same issues by the way ;) oregonlady PS I worry a little that the chance will come up, and I'll have a panic attack or something, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen. I like what @mary1 said because I feel I could really use a new place and all that goes with learning my way around, and meeting new people.  Fixing my place all up again as I love redecorating etc. ;)

Edited by [or...]

[Bu...]

Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the encouragement and the opinions; I really appreciate both! 

So, it turns out though, that I need to add one more thing to that "needs to have" list, and that is relatively level floors.  This one was like walking in a fun house. Which during withdrawal, is not so fun. :(   Each room was on a different slanted plane.  My husband and our agent reassured me that they thought it was terrible, too.  You couldn't tell from the pictures.  What I thought was a tile floor in the kitchen and dining room, turned out to be really nice looking rolled linoleum (cause you can't tile an uneven floor).

So, back to scouring the listings, but if something good does turn up, I feel better about it.  Thanks Y'all! ❤