Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

OCD and Panic Disorder

[Da...]

Looking for experiences or advice on dealing with OCD and Panic Disorder - Diagnosed Prior to Benzo's and haven't responded to therapy.  I know withdrawing amplifies these conditions, but wondering if anyone has any experience?  My server OCD and Panic Disorder is what caused me to be prescribed Benzos.

[Ma...]

Have you read Claire Weekes book, ‘Hope and Help for Your Nerves’?

It was/is a groundbreaking book explaining exactly what happens in your body in regards to anxiety/panic.

The saying, Knowledge is Power is true. If you understand what is happening it can help you manage your symptoms.

I often say: The train has left the station, I’ll just wait for my physiology to correct itself.

Exposure Therapy is also useful for panic disorder. It’s not easy but it works.

If you’re on Instagram follow the.anxious.truth 

Drew Linsalata has a group you can join that is really helpful.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

I didn't have ocd prior to benzo WD. At least, never knew what it is. OKD happened to me in my 3 month of tapering and i had already learned it might come as a symptom so wasn't in panic over it, just annoyed and tired to exhausted doing unnecessary things which i perfectly realised were really unnecessary. I still have mild fits of ocd from time to time, especially while feeling bad or  at night. Never tried to fight it, just accepted that it had come and would eventually go as the rest of the wd issues.  Just my experience.

• Like 2

[Re...]

@[Da...] I am sorry, I have been dealing with this symptom and I have had this as a kid, too. 

Jenniffer Swantkowski has really useful voice notes on YouTube about dealing with intrusive thoughts and OCD (not the same thing), and managing symptoms in general. 

There is indeed a mental space between your thought and your own reaction to it, this could apply to many other things we suffer from (only if severity has easen a bit, needless to say) . I guess it is the question of practice. 

I agree with @[...]this being like any other symptom, quite distressing, I know.

Jenniffer's videos serve as good distraction, too, not only excellent coping mechanisms. 

• Like 1

[Da...]
8 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Have you read Claire Weekes book, ‘Hope and Help for Your Nerves’?

It was/is a groundbreaking book explaining exactly what happens in your body in regards to anxiety/panic.

The saying, Knowledge is Power is true. If you understand what is happening it can help you manage your symptoms.

I often say: The train has left the station, I’ll just wait for my physiology to correct itself.

Exposure Therapy is also useful for panic disorder. It’s not easy but it works.

If you’re on Instagram follow the.anxious.truth 

Drew Linsalata has a group you can join that is really helpful.

TY :) 

[ne...]

I have had TRUE OCD since 8 years old so I understand the horribleness intimately. Hang in there. I am 14 months off and still have lots of physical symptoms. You can do this; I am now 40 and it's almost like I'm burnt out from being afraid. Maybe that's a good thing with how much it has affected me for so long? 

[Da...]
On 27/03/2024 at 15:30, [[n...] said:

I have had TRUE OCD since 8 years old so I understand the horribleness intimately. Hang in there. I am 14 months off and still have lots of physical symptoms. You can do this; I am now 40 and it's almost like I'm burnt out from being afraid. Maybe that's a good thing with how much it has affected me for so long? 

I am way beyond burnout my I am totally shutdown and disconnected....the dr/dr comes from the OCD...not sure what I will do but can't see a life like this