Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Will appetite and positive emotions just reappear?

[Bi...]

My appetite disappeared at the very beginning of my withdrawal, and I lost a significant amount of weight - I have improved slightly with how much I can eat in one go, though not gained back all the weight I want to yet. How has it been for other peoples appetite - does it just come back out of nowhere, or do you need to make sure you continue to eat enough to rebuild your appetite?

Equally, I have had the same problem with some emotions - though some positive emotions have come back slowly, not all have - like a feeling of love I haven't had yet. Will this just reappear?

Edited by [Bi...]

[Nu...]

My impression is that it's different for everyone. Some seem to make big gains in recovery, including emotions, in a short amount of time and for some it comes slowly.

My feeling is that the best is to accept it as it comes. Don't anticipate anything. Radical acceptance has value, even if that concept is against our nature.

• Like 1

I guess the answer is Yes. My appetite still wanders but i don't mind. It's obviously better and i'm not that skinny anymore as if going to be gone with the wind.

And i'm glad my emotions are back. Sometimes seem too much. Can feel really happy and laugh. I so much missed it:classic_smile:. I can't feel like crying yet though. Just can't. Hope it'll also be back. A good cry brings relief too.

Yes, for me, it all are just coming back by itself. Like a heavy weight pulling out by and by, not that quickly.

[PE...]

I agree with the above. Both are getting back. I had a real problem with eating for a long time.

[WU...]

Appetite is inextricably linked to our sense of taste and I don't know about you but mine is non-existent after 13 months.  The limbic system is responsible and since it is packed full of GABA it explains a lot. I can only eat simple foods with no discernible taste. Basic stuff, eggs, cheese, bread, chicken, fish, meat, vegetables of the plain boiled variety, utterly boring but keeps me going. We just have to wait until those receptors restore themselves and then normal function will be resumed.

Here's a link to some research about taste and appetite, though they are clearly working themselves up to finding the magic drug for weight loss, ha ha, as if we need that !

https://neurosciencenews.com/taste-eating-habits-25251/#:~:text=The research reveals that our sense of taste%2C,critical role in regulating how much we eat.

[Bi...]

Ah fab, thank you all... that makes me feel better. I guess finding things funny and being able to enjoy myself did creep back in without me realising, so have to wait for love and any other emotions to come back like that... and appetite as well, among other things. But useful to know more about it

• Like 1