Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to hold yourself to a slow taper?

I just want to be off the wretched drug, and find myself debating to cut just a tiny bit more than planned or too often.

Granted, I am tapering off Zolpiclone, and relatively short-term, which should be easier than actual benzos, but it am just so conflicted, wanting to stop nooow.

How do you stay strong about doing a slow taper?

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

[kn...]

I've never taken Zopiclone, but I've trying to taper off Diazepam for almost three years now.  I've been obsessive about finishing and suffered pretty badly for it.  Too big of cuts, too fast, and little patience with stabilizing at any level.  It's been especially hard lately, as I've attempted to do the same at a low dosage and gotten very sick.  I've frequented the forums here, especially 'Brighter Side of Life' and tried to read uplifting posts that distract me in a positive way.  Reading, exercising a bit (if you can do it) and distracting yourself with anything that you like doing will raise your spirits and help you keep on.  I've tried to stick to daily routines as well.  Many of us have been at this a long time.  But, I've heard it said through several channels here that the path of your WD pretty much equals your success in feeling better once you make that jump.  That alone has kept me hanging on.  Best wishes.

• Love 1

[ns...]

Hi SIC, it's not easy!

But, you have to consider the alternative. I'm sure you do that and I know from experience how much I want off of this horrid drug, but I have no choice, so I've settled this in my mind and am now focusing on healing. 

I realize complete healing really comes after we finish our taper, but we're also healing with every cut we take.

We're a little closer with every cut and that gives me something to look forward to. 

When I take it, I cringe before each dose. It makes me so miserable, but the alternative was worse! I know,  I tried it!

Had to change my focus, now exercising a little and getting back to baseline in my day to day. 

I allowed myself to stop! To stop living. I can barely walk, but I can walk! So I'm going to walk more.

I'm going to push, rewire my brain to believe in myself again. 

It's so easy to slip into another realm of thought, like, focusing on when we can jump off the drug.

For me, it only set me back.

I'm sitting here numb, tingling, spasmodic and brain fog, but I can still think, enough to stop feeling sorry for myself and put one foot in front of the other and get moving.

I'm sure your not feeling sorry for yourself as I did recently, but don't let yourself go there ok.

Settle in until it's time, know that this is a journey,  and when it's over,  know that you will have overcome the most challenging thing you'll probably ever face, but you did it!

Take care of yourself, be compassionate with you!

Ns

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both. You strengten my resolve. 

I am so close to the finish line, and just had a one week window (is it a window when you are still tapering?). Then for the last few days I have been been worse.

I need to stay strong and do this the right way. 

• Like 1

[PE...]

If you only taking it at night you might come of easy as it's short acting. In the past i stopped and got back on many times with no taper. Yes dreadful insomnia for a few days but that was all.