Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Elevated Liver values during taper

[Jo...]

Hello all, 

I have a question.  I am tapering down from 20 mg of Val…..   Currently at 7.5 daily.  My most recent lab values indicate that liver values are more than double the normal range.  Has anyone either experienced this during taper or have any ideas.  There isn’t anything else going on with me physically and my taper is progressing well so far.  Appreciate any ideas or experiences.  I do have an appointment with my psychiatrist and my GI provider in early April.  

[je...]

Hi @[Jo...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I’m glad to hear your taper is going well. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about liver values so I can’t answer your question. But I know withdrawal can do strange things to the body. Was it a doctor of yours that ordered these tests?

[Re...]

Hello @[Jo...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

Some people have elevated liver values due to their unique physiological properties - I know this because I have people in my family with such findings. In their cases it is not dangerous or pathological. For them, it varies on their metabolic status, too. 

However, I encourage you to discuss this topic with your healthcare provider, and do some necessary check ups. Sometimes there is just no other way round.

I am happy your taper is going so well, nice to hear. Good luck with your appointment in April! 

• Like 1

[Jo...]
6 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[Jo...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I’m glad to hear your taper is going well. Unfortunately I don’t know anything about liver values so I can’t answer your question. But I know withdrawal can do strange things to the body. Was it a doctor of yours that ordered these tests?

I was referred to an endocrinologist for bone density issues. When she did the bloodwork, the liver values were very elevated.  They had been a little high in October when I met with a hematologist but have really jumped since then.  The endocrinologist forwarded the tests to my GI provider so I will be working with her.  I just wondered if this is how my body is registering the taper.  Have been to lots of provides over the past 2 years as I was in tolerance withdrawal and didn’t know it.  Thank you for responding 

[je...]
1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

I was referred to an endocrinologist for bone density issues. When she did the bloodwork, the liver values were very elevated.  They had been a little high in October when I met with a hematologist but have really jumped since then.  The endocrinologist forwarded the tests to my GI provider so I will be working with her.  I just wondered if this is how my body is registering the taper.  Have been to lots of provides over the past 2 years as I was in tolerance withdrawal and didn’t know it.  Thank you for responding 

It's good that you have a doctor to work with going forward. I was wondering if you had any symptoms or you doctor suspected anything wrong and that was the reason for ordering the test. It's so difficult for us to interpret these medical results. I had GI problems for 5 months that mirrored benzo withdrawal and when I finally went to the doctor it turned out to be gluten related. But other people who have the exact same symptoms as me, are in withdrawal. It's just so hard to tell the difference, so working with a medical doctor is always best, but I understand why you would want to check and see if others have had similar experiences.

[Jo...]

Thank you for responding.  My bone density scan indicated osteoporosis so I was referred to Endocrinology for treatment.  They did blood work before starting anything, which I was concerned about anyway. That blood work indicated a sharp spike in liver enzymes that is not normal.  So, I do have appointments with Psychiatrist who is overseeing the taper and GI MD.  I also have had appointment with a psychotherapist who also does clinical hypnotherapy to help me heal in all ways.  We will see what happens going forward.