Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Jumping off

I see people saying that they jumped off.

Is ot safe to jump from .25 MG klonopin twice a day?  

No, I wouldn't, that's too much. Try going to once a day first. If that doesn't bother you after three weeks, then stop. 

If you get too sick you'll have to reinstate and taper. Hope you're a lucky one that doesn't get sick.

What is your history of use?

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

[or...]

@[...] imo that's too big an amount to jump from. I tapered my valium to zero, just because I wanted to avoid having to reinstate after an unwise jump. (Some of my buddies jumped at .25 mg of valium but I didn't want to). When I think about it your .25 K, that's equivalent to 2.5 mgs of valium . . . an amount I've NEVER heard anyone on here jump from. If I were you, I'd try to get quite a bit lower in dosage. I understand everyone's eager to be off their demon benzo, but we have to be sensible.:wacko: Best wishes to you.

• Like 2

What do you mean when you say get sick? I'm hanging on with all I've got. 

[Li...]

@[...]

Are you asking if you will get sick if you cold turkey from your current total daily dose of 0.5mg of clonazepam?  

To help you evaluate the likelihood of this, we need to know your medication history.  I know you are under duress so I’ve put together a draft for you to review based on your past posts. Please make any revisions needed.  For example, it would be helpful to know more about the antidepressant (e.g. what AD, what dose, when did you start taking it, are you still taking it?).  It would also be helpful to know how you reduced your dose from 2mg a day in November to your current 0.5mg a day in March. 

DRAFT HISTORY
67 years old female
Took clonazepam as prescribed for 37 years; 1mg in am, 2mg in pm

June 2023 - November 2023: New doctor began reducing dose by 0.5mg every other week. Could not take care of self.  Put in rehab and dose reduced to 0.  Asked to be reinstated to former dose (3mg), but did not tolerate.  Reduced dose to 2mg a day. 

November 2023: Started taking 200mg of Seroquel; also started taking an antidepressant?

March 2024: Taking 0.25mg clonazepam in the am and 0.25mg in the pm; have been tapering Seroquel (current dose is 100mg).  Taking GABA supplements.  Still taking anti-depressant?

[or...]
1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[...]

like everyone else said your current combined dose of 0.5mg is very high and not a jumping dose. To give you an idea, I tapered Clonazepam and I jumped at 0.025mg. Please note the zero after the point. 

I would also not recommend going to once a day. That is a 50% cut which can cause pretty severe symptoms. We generally recommend cuts of no more than 5-10%. 

0.25mg K is actually equivalent to 5mg Valium. :)

Hmmm . . .  good to know. :classic_smile:

[or...]
1 hour ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[...]

like everyone else said your current combined dose of 0.5mg is very high and not a jumping dose. To give you an idea, I tapered Clonazepam and I jumped at 0.025mg. Please note the zero after the point. 

I would also not recommend going to once a day. That is a 50% cut which can cause pretty severe symptoms. We generally recommend cuts of no more than 5-10%. 

0.25mg K is actually equivalent to 5mg Valium. :)

Hmm. Good to know.  At any rate, it's too high. :classic_smile:

• Like 1

Yes I'm taking 200 MG sertraline each morning. The reason I'm so vague is I really don't know.

At first (last June) I  tried very hard to find a doctor who would maintain my dose. I couldn't. 

Each Doctor has said they know what they're doing. I can see now they didn't really.

In December I started with yet another doctor and I just don't remember. It wasn't the very slow tapers that I've read about. 

I've also been given 100 MG gabapentin to take 2 capsules 3x daily and 1 MG tizanadine to take as needed for muscle issues. 

As of Thursday I'm waiting to go for medical detox.  It's expensive and I  have no clue if this is a good solution. I've seen this dr 2x. 

Not feeling very hopeful right now. 9 mo ths of hell and so confused.  

Does anyone have an opinion about medical detox?

Does a yone know a doctor in Texas who could help me?

All that I knew last June was that stopping abruptly could mean death. I fear all this up and down on the dose for 9 months is not good.

I've only been here a week and finding out after the fact.

[Li...]

Thank you for providing us with a complete medication history @[...].

Here’s an article by Nicole Lamberson, PA (now interim medical director of the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) about medical detox:

Why Prescribed Benzo Patients Shouldn’t Go To Detox Or Rehab
https://www.benzoinfo.com/2018/04/20/why-prescribed-benzo-patients-shouldnt-go-to-detox-or-rehab/

Given your history, my opinion is that you would be better off finding and working with a doctor or nurse practitioner who is up-to-speed on evidence-based practices for benzodiazepine deprescribing (e.g. The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines, 2024, see link below).  For individuals such as yourself who meet multiple risk criteria, stabilization followed by a slow, symptom-based taper is indicated.  If your current doctor is not aware of the Maudseley Deprescribing Guidelines, I suggest you encourage them to get a copy ASAP.

Here’s a list of benzodiazepine ‘cooperative’ prescribers in Texas from the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition:

Benzodiazepine Cooperative Providers
https://www.benzoinfo.com/doctors/#texas

Link:

The Maudsley Deprescribing Guidelines: Antidepressants, Benzodiazepines, Gabapentinoids and Z-drugs, Print Edition
by Mark Horowitz (Author), David M. Taylor (Author) 
https://a.co/d/4XHwUsZ

• Like 1

[je...]

We don’t recommend detox or rehab centres. Usually people are rapid tapered with adjunct meds to keep them comfortable in the facility only to deal with what is essentially a cold turkey at home. 

If you’re struggling to find a provider who understands benzo withdrawal we can help you. I tapered with only the knowledge I gained from this site and I was functional throughout my taper. My doctor knew nothing about withdrawal. Of course first prize will be to have a knowledgeable doctor but please don’t get discouraged if you can’t find someone. It is possible to taper without. 

[or...]

@[...] I agree with @[je...] that finding someone knowledgeable about benzo withdrawal will be infinitely preferable to going to detox/rehab. I personally have not seen that work out for anyone on here. I  found an NP who knew a bit about benzo withdrawal, but more important, thought outside the box, and basically let me plan my own taper (which pretty much consisted of going as slow as I needed to in order to stay functional). She made sure I had all the valium I needed to do  my turtle taper . . . which worked out fine. Indeed you might find a knowledgeable doc (keep trying) or an enlightened NP, but imo all you need is someone to keep on prescribing your benzo. And to keep checking in with folks on here, of course. :classic_smile:   (Speaking just for myself, I found it best to stay out of psychiatrists' offices as the "help" they gave me in the way of adjunct meds was not helpful at all, and only meant that I had a bunch of other drugs to taper off). Best wishes. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Li...]

@[...]

Given what you’ve shared about your medication history, poly-medication, and destabilized status, you might find this video of interest:

Not feeling very hopeful right now. 9 mo ths of hell and so confused.  

Does anyone have an opinion about medical detox?

Does a yone know a doctor in Texas who could help me?

All that I knew last June was that stopping abruptly could mean death. I fear all this up and down on the dose for 9 months is not good.

I've only been here a week and finding out after the fact.

I'veistened to the taperclinic video and I am so screwed.

Anybody gone to emergency room for this? 

Thank you.  The anxiety is so bad right now. I'll be ok thanks yo y'all. 

[je...]
24 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I hear what you are saying, but I respectfully disagree. You are doing exactly what you need to be doing … becoming fully informed about what’s involved with taking and discontinuing multiple psychotropic medications.  Your case is complex.  I hope your current clinician recognizes this.  If not, in your shoes, I’d look for a clinician that does. 

I agree with @[Li...]. You have a complex case but you've taken the right steps by reaching out and finding the correct information. I think finding a doctor to work with you from the list provided will be the next step. Please reach out to one of those doctors to see if they are able to support you.