Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Heart palpitations, very scary!

[Lu...]

Curious if anyone has had a similar kind of palpitations I am currently experiencing, started yesterday. 6 weeks out after a Xanax C/T. Feels like my heart is adding an extra beat sometimes in between beats, sometimes a fluttery feeling then a big THUMP. Very alarming. It’s not constant but will happen 2-3 times then go away for a couple hours then happen again. Went to ER yesterday,they did a chest xray and 4/5 separate EKG’s. They weren’t very familiar with benzo withdrawal so they didn’t have an answer for me. But they said most likely benign. Following up with a cardiologist monday. Just curious if anyone has had a similar sensation. Thank you, prayers and healing to all!

[Pa...]

Very scary but normal, Professor Ashton documented this symptom in her manual.  Its good you're getting checked out, stressing about this will increase symptom severity so peace of mind is important. 

Heart and lungs. Palpitations, pounding heart, rapid pulse, flushing, sweating, and breathlessness are usual accompaniments of panic attacks, but may occur without panics. They do not signify heart or lung disease but are simply the expression of an overactive autonomic nervous system. Slow deep breathing and relaxation, as described under panic attacks, can do much to control these symptoms. Do not worry about them: they would be accepted as normal if you were running for a bus, and will do no more harm than if you really were!

[Br...]

@[Lu...] - palpitations are a very common benzo withdrawal symptoms.  They're very nerve-racking and can amp up our anxiety.  I had this too and over time, as I healed, they eased up and stopped.  It can be very reassuring to have them checked out medically.  

Here's a link to ideas for coping with palpitations: https://withdrawal.theinnercompass.org/coping/withdrawal-induced-adrenaline-surges-quick-tips

Yes. This is very common. I had all kinds of heart symptoms. Mostly on the palpitation side. Not the tight chest so much.

I remember one time sitting in an emergency room waiting area while my heart would beat twice then skip a beat for few hours straight. Good thing I was a benzos zombie at the time.

All the heart issues go away after you've been off for a while.

It was a few months for me. But I was a long term user. No thoughts about the heart any longer.

[Lo...]

Palpitations/panic attacks are normal during benzo withdrawal, I can assure you that nothing will happen to you. But if you need to have a medical checkup to rest assured, do it.

• Like 2

[OD...]

I don't get much fluttering, but I do get the random "thump" in the chest here and there... super scary. Anything stimulating (including tea, chocolate, excess sugar, but also over exertion) seems to really trigger it and make it worse for me.

• Like 2

[Lu...]
2 hours ago, [[O...] said:

I don't get much fluttering, but I do get the random "thump" in the chest here and there... super scary. Anything stimulating (including tea, chocolate, excess sugar, but also over exertion) seems to really trigger it and make it worse for me.

I have noticed the exact same, I have to be very careful what I eat and drink now!

• Like 1

[ji...]

ive had many issues with heartbeats, thumping, palpatations, racing,  all through my taper at different times.  it is very common but still very scary.  hope your symptoms ease up soon ~~jill

• Like 1

[Lu...]

@[ji...] I’m so sorry you have had to go through that :( it definitely has redefined the word scary for me, this whole process is so beyond terrifying no one would ever understand! Prayers and healing to you 

• Love 1