Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Is it common for womens periods to make symptoms crank up?

[bu...]

Hi ladies, looking for reassurance. When I get my period and just before, I feel awful, severe fatigue, the pain goes up, anxiety goes up, plus flu-like symptoms, just all WD feels worse, and I just hope this is common so I can stop thinking about it.

kind thanks

[dj...]

I am not a woman, but this crap seems to make us more sensitive to every other bodily process.  So, I’m sure that’s normal.  If we can feel heightened effects of cortisol, I’m sure we can feel heightened effects of progesterone, estrogen and testosterone (I can confirm the latter). 

• Like 1

[Bu...]

hey @[bu...],

This happens to me, too.  It's super annoying.  It is getting better, though, the further I get from my jump day.  Hopefully it will just fizzle out soon.

• Like 1

[bu...]

i went out and did my day instead of staying in with a hot water bottle feeling anxious. I felt like crap, but i had little anxiety and went to the cinema, walked around cardiff city centre full of people and even had moments of calm. still felt like i was dying at times lol but no anxiety what a winnnnn

[Ka...]
11 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

i went out and did my day instead of staying in with a hot water bottle feeling anxious. I felt like crap, but i had little anxiety and went to the cinema, walked around cardiff city centre full of people and even had moments of calm. still felt like i was dying at times lol but no anxiety what a winnnnn

@[bu...] that sounds goods - I’m originally from Cardiff so I think you benefitted from venturing into what is a brilliant city despite feeling crap. That is indeed a win! 

[bu...]
Just now, [[K...] said:

@[bu...] that sounds goods - I’m originally from Cardiff so I think you benefitted from venturing into what is a brilliant city despite feeling crap. That is indeed a win! 

thanks Katrina, i too am from there originally. to go there on a sat and there were protesters there too so it was very busy, i had expected a panic attack but i used my brain tools and it paid off. re wiring my brain a little each day. again :0

• Like 1

[Pa...]

@[bu...], I've been reading about women having increased symptom severity around their periods for years, yes, its very common.  I'm glad @[Bu...] weighed in and mentioned it gets better. 

[Sw...]

Just chiming in to say absolutely yes always more intense near my cycle 

[Bo...]

So much yes… Oh my gosh a lot of women struggle with this and I’ve even been diagnosed with PMDD, severe, severe cramps, lots of crying, really dark thoughts, severe migraines… which I never had any of this or period problems prior to being put on the benzo. Diagnosed with adenomyosis also while on the Klonopin and the radiologist thinks Klonopin caused that because no signs of it prior to the med ,which is similar to endometriosis.

as I got lower on my taper thing started getting better my period but then I’ll didn’t have it for seven months after I stopped Klonopin. I just got it and wowsers. It was horrendous but at least my bodies evening out and regulating again Having it, not that I’m welcoming it back.

Just know that it’ll even out in time more time off benzos and good job getting out and trying to make the best of your day!!

[Rh...]

Yes!!!  100% yes!  My cycles bring on horrendous symptoms which I didn’t have nearly as bad until I came off my meds.  I now have migraines, GI issues, intense insomnia and lots of mental stuff too.  It’s like I’m thrown back into acute each month when my period hits.

im hoping as others mentioned this will sort itself out as more time passes, but I’m also 44 y.o. and I’m sure I’m in perimenopause so I don’t know if I’ll ever be “normal” until menopause.  🤦‍♀️

• 1 month later...
[Be...]
On 23/03/2024 at 15:01, [[b...] said:

Hi ladies, looking for reassurance. When I get my period and just before, I feel awful, severe fatigue, the pain goes up, anxiety goes up, plus flu-like symptoms, just all WD feels worse, and I just hope this is common so I can stop thinking about it.

kind thanks

Yes and I am suffering from it every month. Benzo had really destroyed my system.

• Like 1