Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Working while tapering

[No...]

Hello, Im a 33m and am starting my taper soon off of 20 mgs Valium (been taking daily for 4 months) and not sure how I am going to tolerate it. Im not even sure what my psych is going to recommend as a taper plan..

But anyhow, on top of already being terrified of the withdrawals themselves, I am also really concerned about being able to continue working.

I had 2 part time jobs and lost one of them.

I am reliant on this remaining one now for my income (which is barely enough to get by for now) but they do not offer any paid medical leave for part timers.. It's worth noting that my job is a bank teller and can be extremely  high pressure at most times.

Also wondering wether I should just be completely transparent with my manager and let him know whats going on with me.

With no family nearby who can take me in long term and very little savings, I feel like I have no options in the event that I can't work.

Im trying to prepare for the worst in the event of me being too incapacitated to work during withdrawal (i.e. panic attacks! which I am very prone to.. and withdrawal symptoms)

tldr: During a taper is it possible for me to continue working or am I completely f*****?

Any advice,  reassurance, or tips is appreciated.

Or just any tips on dealing with panic attacks at work would be helpful. Thanks so much

[Ct...]

@[No...] I know @[je...] worked though her withdrawal. Possibly she can stop by to share her experience. Also @[he...] worked through his withdrawal. I am sure there are others that did the same.

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Of course it’s possible to work and many believe it helps as to distract and give purpose to their lives.

Telling your boss, in terms they can understand, is a terrific idea. Just as if, say, you were going through chemo, alerting your boss that you are struggling with a profound health condition and need some leniency and support will be beneficial to everyone.

I would also suggest going to the taper thread here as you will find experts to assist.

Sorry to hear your situation. If you're still having panic attacks while on the meds, that sucks.

You probably have to tell your boss you have panic disorder and are under medical care. You don't have to say you are tapering. No matter what you do, up dose or taper, odds are you will still have to deal with attacks for a while. If your not disabled you should keep a good and fairly open relationship with the boss. Getting disability to quit benzos is close to impossible.

I would cut my current dose a little and be ok with (if at work)taking the difference as a rescue dose when I felt an attack coming. I know I couldn't continue working during a full attack. And going back to work after an attack is very hard because your tired and should actually rest.

Figure out a tapering schedule. Work on non chemical ways to, calm your nervous system overall, and to get through the attacks better. Although it doesn't seem like it now, cognitive healing will fix you in time.

[je...]

I worked throughout my taper. I did have to quit my work half way through but that was due to Long Covid not withdrawal. I never missed a day off work due to withdrawal. If you taper slow enough it’s completely doable. 

Whether or not to inform your employer about your situation is entirely up to you and your work culture. I had a very toxic work environment and never told them. They would not have understood the difference between dependence and addiction. I’m sure they would’ve used the situation to get rid of me as they needed to retrench staff. We never had any support from management. 

You can do this. It might not be easy. But  you are strong enough to do see it through. 

• 2 weeks later...
[he...]

I was able to work, but it was not easy many days. I am thankful I was able to keep my job and that my company flexed with me when I needed them too. They didn't understand it, but they trusted that I was being truthful and worked with me the best they could. I kept thinking I would have to quit one day or be fired, because all I wanted to do was curl up on a couch and sleep, but that day never came.

You may need to find a job you can work remotely, so you can deal with symptoms when they come. Perhaps that is an option. I realized I could still work through some of the nastiest days. It wasn't pleasant by any means, but I forced myself to get up every day and go.

• Like 1