Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Coming off Lorazepam

[Ur...]

Hi, my psychiatrist has me on Lorazepam for two weeks and wants to just cut me off it cold. Is this a good idea or should I ask for a quick taper off. Any advice would be really welcomed 

Start tapering with what you have. Today.

Be glad you were prescribed only two weeks.  And you're knowledgeable enough to know this site exists. You can read what can happen taking this crap long term.

• Like 3

[Re...]

Hello @[Ur...], how much triazolam are you taking currently? Have you cut the escitalopram too, completely? How long have you been on lorazepam and triazolam and how much are you taking? 

These are important questions, sorry for them. 

[Re...]

@[Ur...]From your post it seems like you have been on lorazepam only for two weeks, so I really encourage you to fill out your history. It does count a lot if you have been taking another benzodiazepine. Our Buddies will be able to help you better if they see a bit more clearly. 

[Li...]

Hello @[Ur...]. Would you consider yourself to be low-risk according to the risk-stratification characteristics identified by Horowitz and Taylor (2024, p. 350):

• No evidence of tolerance to the medication,
  • No evidence of inter-dose withdrawal,
  • Short-term use (weeks),
  • Taking longer half-life benzodiazepines,
  • No or mild withdrawal symptoms in the past on stopping or skipping [missing] a dose, and 
  • No or limited history of benzodiazepines (or other psychiatric medication) use and cessation.

• Like 2

[Ur...]

@[Re...] I am down to 6.25 of Triazolam and I finish that on Monday. I have taken Lorazapam 1mg nine times and .5mg twice. After I come off the Triazolam the doctor wants to just cut Lorazapam which worries me 

[Ur...]

I’m a wood and a scaredy pants when it comes to these ugly drugs 

• Love 1

[Re...]

@[Li...]does have a very nice summary of the points one needs to take into consideration before planning the cessation of these medications. Others have given their thoughts on the other thread, too.

@[Ur...]I have no personal experience when it comes to very short acting benzodiazepines like triazolam, cross dependency, etc. 

You are the judge of this. Follow your symproms during reduction, be careful, and if you encounter problems, taper even slower. Given the short time, I believe everything is going to be okay. 

• Like 1

[ns...]

Ursula, hi, you've come to the right place for your concerns. 

I've been on and off of lorazapam many yrs.

Lorazapam is a very powerful benzo and is very difficult to taper.

If you've only been on it for two weeks, 9 dats, if it were me, I'd drop it like a hot Rock right now and I wouldn't look back!

If you can drop it now without symptoms, do it.

I remember when I missed doses during the first couple months, no big deal. It wasn't until I stayed on it that it hooked me!

Only 9x, that's not very long, you should be ok.

I would be grateful  your doctor is taking you off of this drug. I wish my doctor would have for me! I think he's benzo wise and understands the consequences of the drug and trying to spare you the pain and long journey of withdrawal. 

If you were on a scheduled dose, it would be much harder to taper, especially for a longer period of time. 

You have a chance to escape the long withdrawal process right now.

I hope you're able to stop them and wish you every success!

Take care

Ns