Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Body temperature

[us...]

I went cold turkey 20 days ago being on benzos for 5 years every day and I have weird stuff going on with body temperature. It feels like my brain is always hot.  When I wake up my armpits are sweating, sometimes I'm so so hot but my temperature is 97.7 F  and sometimes it's slighty elevated 98.8 F and suddenly it comes back to normal. When night comes everything just stops. Anyone?

• Like 1

[Re...]

Hello @[us...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

A cold turkey cessation from these medications can be difficult, I am sorry you have been experiencing difficulties. 

I am not sure about elevated temperature being a symptom in withdrawal, I don't have this experience. I hope you can get checked by your doctor and I suggest you do this, it is better to be on the safe side. 

I have read people reporting something similar, please use the "Search" option on the upper right side of the screen. I am sure our Buddies will share if they had similar experiences. 

If you have the time, please fill out your "History". 

Take very good care, 

RR

• Like 1

[us...]

Hello @[Re...] thank you for your reply. I went to the doctor and nothing was found but I will do some more tests. I did use Search and saw some users share the similar experience like unexplained overheating

[Pi...]

I have heat intolerance.  If I go into a store I get hot after 10 minutes and have to leave as I start flushing and sweating.

• Like 1

[kn...]

I know exactly what you're talking about.  I call it 'Fire and Ice'.  I've been freezing to death for almost the entire time of my now 2.5 year old taper.  Sometimes one section of my body feels like its burning up while my legs and lower body are freezing.  My feet get so hot at times that I can't wear regular shoes and socks at all.  I've resorted to buying a couple pairs of Crocs.  Even In cold weather I can wear these and my feet are still very comfortable.  Yes, I've been checked out from my PC and cardiologist to a neurologist and no one can figure out what's going on.  I even had extensive blood work done for auto immune disease presence and was told everything is perfectly normal.  But, I've stabilized a few times and all of this goes away for a time.  It also disappears at night under the covers.  Got to be the benzos.

• Like 2

[Bu...]

Hi @[us...],

I know this one well.  This happened sporadically when I reacted tolerance withdrawal and then came on with a vengeance for the first 3-ish months after I finished my taper.  Now, at 7 months, it is very, very, sporadic.  I'll go for a few weeks without it and then it will pop up again off and on for a week or so.

And my temps did what yours are doing, ranging from the mid 97's to low 99's.  It didn't seem to make a lot of sense.  Hang in there, though, it does get better.

Oh, what benzo were you taking and at what dose? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, [[u...] said:

I went cold turkey 20 days ago being on benzos for 5 years every day and I have weird stuff going on with body temperature. It feels like my brain is always hot.  When I wake up my armpits are sweating, sometimes I'm so so hot but my temperature is 97.7 F  and sometimes it's slighty elevated 98.8 F and suddenly it comes back to normal. When night comes everything just stops. Anyone?

I didn't go cold turkey, it was a lopsided taper but i can relate to sudden sweating. I have a lot of it in my first benzo free months. It didn't depend on my body's temperature. The temperature was 95.4F at night and up to 97.2F during the day. Was scared but it's back to normal now.

• Like 1

[us...]

Hi @[Bu...] I was taking Bromazepam 6 mg everyday for 6 years..I really hope that my temperature is related to benzos

Hi @[...] I would like to have that temperature, right now my chest is burning

@[us...], do you run high body temperature while the chest is burning or it's "just" a sensation of burning? I had a lot of burning everywhere, mostly legs, head and back but my temperature was less than usual. Weird but true. Sure your body must find its balance in the end. Mine has definitely mostly improved :classic_rolleyes:

3 hours ago, [[u...] said:

@[...] It's normal I have 98.2 F it's mostly my chest and back, sometimes my scalp

Then, i think it's similar to my issues and there is nothing to be afraid of. It's going to resolve on its own, by my experience, however awful it feels. Sure it can take some time. My last, in every sence, round of benzo was also daily for 5 years.

Really hope you'll be better rather soon!)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

[Bu...]
12 hours ago, [[u...] said:

I was taking Bromazepam 6 mg everyday for 6 years..I really hope that my temperature is related to benzos

I think it probably is.  Benzos and withdrawal can really cause some weird stuff.  Hopefully it will start to improve soon.