Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam withdrawal question

[Je...]

I am new to this site so apologize if I’m asking questions that have been asked before. 
I’ve been taking between 1 and 2 mg of clonazepam for over 15 years and am in the process of weaning off this drug. I took .5mg for a week and .25 for a week and stopped last Friday. Today, I’m experiencing numbness in my feet, low heart rate and major foggy head along with vertigo symptoms and tinnitus. I’ve had vertigo attacks in the past and didn’t make the connection of these symptoms with stopping the clonazepam but read posts that mentioned numbness and realized I am probably feeling symptoms of withdrawal. Can anyone confirm they have had these symptoms? Should I start taking a small dose and look at a longer timeline? I’d appreciate any advice as I am miserable and think this may be the cause but not sure how to proceed. Thank you..

[je...]

Hi @[Je...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I am sorry you're having these symptoms. It's quite normal to experience it upon rapid cessation. Since you've been off such a short time I think you have two options. You can either reinstate and go back on to taper off slowly or you can stay off and tough it out. It just depends on how severe your symptoms are and if it's manageable. When I rapidly reduced my dose from 2mg to 0.5mg my symptoms gradually became worse with time and by the two weeks mark I was non-functional. I had to go back up in dose. This is not the case for everyone though. I'm just trying to say there's no shame in reinstating if you're struggling too much. 

Ultimately you're the only person who can determine which course of action is best for you. We'll support you whatever you decide to do.