Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone dealing with benzo belly?

[Ma...]

Hello, I'm in the protracted phase. I'm dealing debilitating benzo belly. My daily symptoms are bloating, tightness in diaphragm area while moving, like walking  around, light activities, nausea, loss of appetite, sometimes quick spasms in my upper stomach/diaphragm area that causes like a hicupp/interruption with my breathing that will cause shortness of breath & triggers my anxiety. Alot of resting during this that I have to lay down. This is very debilitating. 😪

• Like 1

[ns...]

Mark787, I'm so sorry your going thru this.

I have these same symptoms. 

I've only guessed that it's benzo belly but I'm sure it is. 

It's pretty miserable whatever it is for sure but I'm sure it's part of withdrawal. 

I try to eat pretty clean. Exception latey, I've eaten chocolate muffins which only made it worse. But they were good lol

I don't eat sugar normally ever, or caffeine, or unhealthy fats.

I've found that cashew butter and almond butter help, I guess because of the magnesium in them. I have a half sandwich with each twice per day. One with cashew, one with almond.

I also eat broccoli, green beans, baked potatoes and baked chicken mostly. Eggs, avocado bread for breakfast. Sometimes Meatloaf but with any tomatoe products, it only causes more problems. Seems anything that's canned is no good for me.

No deli meats, cheeses either.

Try to eat as clean as you can, get plenty of hydration.

I hope this passes soon as I know how the tightness and bloating and diaphragm pain can be so uncomfortable. I have tremors inside and numbness with this. I'm told by er it's parasthesia but I don't agree. I think benzo belly is it and it will pass when we're out of withdrawal and hopefully sooner!

Try to relax as best you can.

Try not to focus on the symptoms, they only dig in deeper it seems. 

Be compassionate with yourself ok, your healing and you'll get thru this!

Take care 

Ns

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Hi nsindy, 

Thank you for your reply & great information of knowledge. 😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
[Sl...]
On 18/03/2024 at 16:26, [[M...] said:

Hello, I'm in the protracted phase. I'm dealing debilitating benzo belly. My daily symptoms are bloating, tightness in diaphragm area while moving, like walking  around, light activities, nausea, loss of appetite, sometimes quick spasms in my upper stomach/diaphragm area that causes like a hicupp/interruption with my breathing that will cause shortness of breath & triggers my anxiety. Alot of resting during this that I have to lay down. This is very debilitating. 😪

Has this resolved or improved for you? Been suffering immensely for two months and yes totally disabled from this. Bad always but especially in any sitting up or vertical position.

[Bo...]

Hey there, yes this can be very tough struggled with that even cleaning up my diet completely to organic gluten-free sugar-free low histamine, etc. etc.
I used a heating pad on the clock today and night, ginger tablets from the ginger people, but those started not helping after a while, the heating pad was the biggest help and laying down, but that was mainly because I was so debilitated by other

Tiny bit of digize essential oil on tummy can help but mix with some coconut oil and use tiny bit first to see how you do. 
Smaller meals, more frequently throughout the day, blended food if you can put in a blender and sometimes digestive issues, baby food pouches can help when we have very difficult digestive issues and take some work off of our stomachs.

Not drinking water at the same time as our meals, walking if you can after eating. 

Nsindy captured others.

I have had a lot of G.I. problems through this And they do get better eventually. If you need anything checked out or with a functional medicine doctor. because they can really get more of the root issues but just usually it’s issues given the medication’s.

• Like 1

[Ma...]
Posted (edited)
On 28/04/2024 at 09:17, [[S...] said:

Has this resolved or improved for you? Been suffering immensely for two months and yes totally disabled from this. Bad always but especially in any sitting up or vertical position.

For me it has not completely resolved. There are some days my symptoms lessens & other days it can elevate. Constantly dealing with nausea, gagging, bloating, sometimes dull stomach pains,  fullness after very small meals, cant do any physical activities even simple ones, doctor diagnos gastritis. But I know its the benzos (benzo belly). I wont even mention anything benzo's to doctors anymore. These symptoms is always there, so very frustrating. 😫

Edited by [Ma...]

[Ca...]

I've had it throughout my taper. I feel like my spleen is swollen and sometimes when my belly is distended I will have a wrenching spasm in the spleen area. Heating pad helps. Easy walking distracts. I also get the hiccups often.