Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I'm planning to take benzos again...

[bi...]

I have been benzo-free for approximately 450 days. The initial 9-11 months post-recovery were relatively manageable, with symptoms present but not debilitating. However, a relapse occurred after consuming alcohol in May, intensifying my symptoms. By August 2023, I had recovered again.

Suddenly, in November, I experienced severe symptoms including agoraphobia, tremors, and heightened nervousness. While these symptoms have improved since then, they still hinder my ability to attend job interviews. I fear losing my apartment if I cannot secure employment.

Considering my circumstances, I am contemplating taking two doses of 0.5mg Clonazepam in hopes of alleviating my agoraphobia and social fears. This is a measure I've never resorted to before.

I'm seeking advice on whether there might be alternative solutions to address my current challenges, or if resorting to medication is my best chance at regaining functionality...

[Re...]

@[bi...] I understand your situation and I am really sorry, I truly can relate. I had to give up my independence and give my apartment back, it took me a while to be even able to do that. 

You have experienced what happens if you drink alcohol already, and you observed an uptick in symptoms in May /August. I wonder what your opinion is, wouldn't taking these possibly do more harm in the long run? 

It is, in my opinion, better to avoid anything that works the same way benzos do. Everything just might come back with revenge and really does not worth the risk.

I have met some people here who had the same issues we have with extreme social anxiety and agoraphobia, and they were able to work. Struggling indeed, but were able to. 

This is going to be an issue for me, soon, too, and I need to find a solution as well. It is the challenge of my life. I decided to wait as long as financially possible, try to widen my strech zone/comfort zone and to find some skills.

When it comes to choosing a new career, I will have to take many things into consideration and just accept, things won't be like they were for a while. And trust me this is a big pill to swallow for me.... 

• Like 1

[bi...]
Posted (edited)

ReubenRalph, when I had an acute panic attack in December, just right after I developed agarophobia, I got Pregabline and since then I'm functioning much better. Pregabaline acts similiarly to Benzos, anyway I started to taper that too.
If Pregabaline helps I think Benzos should too. I can't really wait any longer and probably if I manage to get Benzos again I should be fine or at least better, but the revenge won't miss out...

Edited by [bi...]

[Re...]

@[bi...]I wonder, have you heard about kindling? I have inserted a link so that you can make a well informed decision when you take benzodiazepines again. It also explains why alcohol might make our hardships more difficult. 

• Like 3

[Ma...]

@[bi...] I would sincerely encourage you to find and alternative solution. I understand your predicament and please know by reinstating it MIGHT make things much, much worse. Much.

Many here-myself included-have done so with devastating consequences-primarily protracted.

Pregabilin is for mania, perhaps try Gabapentin, or Trileptal or a supplement.  Research LDN. Hydroxyzine for your anxiety. Remeron for sleep and depression. Propanolol for physical anxiety symptoms. Or therapy to learn new coping mechanisms for your symptoms.

If you reinstate you have to taper eventually and that could not.go.well.

Many, including doctors (who I listened to…like a lamb to slaughter) will say ‘most stay on for life’. Bull. That’s if you don’t get inter-dose withdrawals or hit tolerance. And they say that 2.) Because the doctor is ignorant, 2.) They’re desperate for a solution without fully recognizing the very likely consequences.

Also, if you do reinstate it’s very likely you’ll need to go on a much higher dose to gain stability which means a much longer eventual taper, assuming you do stabilize.

You’ve already experienced healing, that means your body and brain know HOW to heal! Hopefully the healing will begin to happen quicker for you!

These are just thoughts from a random person on an internet message board, so take it only for that and do what is best for you. Only you know your body. Yourself.

Wishing you success in whatever you decide.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

[Pi...]

People take propanol for stage fright or job interviews etc. so this might work.  I have taken a small dose Ativan on a few occasions without a problem.  But it was just a crumb of a pill and the occasions were spaced out over months.

[Da...]
7 hours ago, [[b...] said:

I have been benzo-free for approximately 450 days. The initial 9-11 months post-recovery were relatively manageable, with symptoms present but not debilitating. However, a relapse occurred after consuming alcohol in May, intensifying my symptoms. By August 2023, I had recovered again.

Suddenly, in November, I experienced severe symptoms including agoraphobia, tremors, and heightened nervousness. While these symptoms have improved since then, they still hinder my ability to attend job interviews. I fear losing my apartment if I cannot secure employment.

Considering my circumstances, I am contemplating taking two doses of 0.5mg Clonazepam in hopes of alleviating my agoraphobia and social fears. This is a measure I've never resorted to before.

I'm seeking advice on whether there might be alternative solutions to address my current challenges, or if resorting to medication is my best chance at regaining functionality...

My experience, in the past...any amount did not help which led to a doctor polydrugging me.  I am in much worse shape.  But it is absolutely up to you.  I was given other meds that contributed to my ordeal

[Nu...]
6 hours ago, [[P...] said:

People take propanol for stage fright or job interviews etc. so this might work.  I have taken a small dose Ativan on a few occasions without a problem.  But it was just a crumb of a pill and the occasions were spaced out over months.

I've had success with propranolol. Not sure of the experience of others...

[Nu...]
10 hours ago, [[b...] said:

I went back on in early 2023 and I regret it. The interdose withdrawals were massive and miserable. I'm not sure how I would have tolerated a PRN dose, but this was dosing three days a week (sometimes four or five).

[Bu...]

Hey @[bi...],

I am sorry you're in such a tough spot.  I think everyone has made some pretty good points here. I was wondering if you had considered CBT or some other form of talk therapy.  I had a lot of success with CBT for  social anxiety issues.  It might be worth looking into.  Whatever you decide, let us know how you're doing, and if we can help in any other way.

[Sw...]

@[bi...] I want to ask why do you have this anxiety and fear? 

have you worked on increasing your threshold? 

I really believe things can’t improve if you use drugs to cope. Your brain can learn how to handle social situations and become strengthened and healthier over time without drugs.

Taking these drugs is creating an easy out. But if you want an easy out then you have your answer. 

I hope you make the best choice for your long term health and wellness. If you’re not in severe panic mode or suicidal mode try to push through. 

Edited by [Sw...]