Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

new to tapering

[Be...]

Im currently taking 1-2mg of Lorazapam daily, was put on it as I was not coping with the start up side effects of my antidepressant.  My Dr has asked me to up my dose from 10-15mg escitalopram to see if that is going to help with my panic attacks , and then I will hopefully taper off the Lorazapam. ( ive only been taking this for approx 6 weeks).

Im really keen to get of the benzo asap, what would be your suggestions to taper,  switch to a longer acting benzo, or start reducing the Lorazapam 

[Bu...]

Hello @[Be...],

Welcome to Benzobuddies!

I just wanted to say Hello and get your account rolling.  Tapering is not my strength, but I'm sure folks who have some experience with this will be along soon to help you.

We're glad you found us.

[7e...]
1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Im currently taking 1-2mg of Lorazapam daily, was put on it as I was not coping with the start up side effects of my antidepressant.  My Dr has asked me to up my dose from 10-15mg escitalopram to see if that is going to help with my panic attacks , and then I will hopefully taper off the Lorazapam. ( ive only been taking this for approx 6 weeks).

Im really keen to get of the benzo asap, what would be your suggestions to taper,  switch to a longer acting benzo, or start reducing the Lorazapam 

Hi,

In my experience escitalopram is the worst SSRI you can use for anxiety and panic atacks. Many doctors call it eXcitalopram cause it excites you so much, is a very activating SSRI unlike Citalopram that is more sedative drug cause it breaks in 2 paths and one of them includes antihistamine that may make you sleepy but is a huge help with anxiety. I tried Escitalopram and it caused me extreme restlesness, huge anxiety and gigantic and continuous panic atacks. I took Citalopram for 20 years and i didnt have any more panic atacks and my axiety was under control. You can ggogle this info and check about the system escitalopram and citalopram use.

I also have to tell you that antidepressants are only a temporary patch and will not solve your problem, i learnt it the hard way, and after 20 years on antidepressants, when i came off them i had my anxiety and panic atacks back even worse than the first day. I had to come off SSRIs cause they started to be toxic to my body and got me very sick, i then had to handle severe anxiety and panic atacks with lorazepam and an intensive psychological therapy and after 2-3 months i managed to defeat anxiety.

I decided then to taper my lorazepam as i knew is dangerous to cold turkey them but it was too late, after over 3 months of an average of 1.5mg a day i got severe withdrawl symptoms as i already became dependant.

I got rid of my axiety and panic atacks but know i am suffering horrible withdrawl from lorazepam.

My advice:

1. Look for a good therapist

2. dont get into antidepressants, they are useless

3. only take a benzo when you are really scared to death and use it as a rescue pill, dont take them daily or regularly cause you will regret it. with only 6 weeks you are still on time to run from this poison. Anyways i wouldnt cold turkey it cause it might not be safe, but try to reduce it as much as you can and dont take it every day

You can defeat your anxiety if you accept the symptoms (know is just anxiety and it wont hurt you), stop the fear as it is the fuel that makes it grow and let go of it, dont try to fight it, surrender to it and it will fade faster than you could ever think.

I hope this helps you and i hope i knew this before i got hooked to benzos.

Anything else i can do to help you count on me.

Edited by Guest