Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Stuttering with Clonazepam

[Ma...]

Hi, I was prescribed Clonazepam .5mg 3x daily in August 2023 after an adverse reaction to another medication. Within 2 weeks I developed a stutter and worsening symptoms, but was not taken off. After 7 weeks I was told to taper over 3 weeks: 1 week of twice a day, 1 week of once a day and another week of half a pill once daily. After the first week I experienced horrible withdrawl including Akathesia, Insomnia, depersonalization and horrible pain (among others). I increased the taper to 7 weeks but now know that was too rapid. About 2 weeks after my last pill (Dec. 2023) my stuttering became so bad I couldn't speak. Over the last 3 months some symptoms have decreased and I've been able to have some good days but my speech hasn't returned. I now communicate with an app, gestures or occasionally can whisper on good days. My MRI was negative for any neurological issues. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

[ns...]

MargeFargo, hi, I'm sorry. You've really had a difficult time of it and I'm sure this frightens you.

I've not heard of this, but I myself have a sort of numb, paralyzed vocal cord of sorts. When I take the dose, I get a raspy voice and numb throat. It's hard to swallow and speak properly. My mouth is very numb as if I've had a nova Cain shot to numb my gums for dental. Sorry for the spelling error.

So my words don't sound normal.

I think this symptom your having is just that, a symptom, and it should go away with time, as most symptoms do.

Withdrawal usually causes a lot of stress and and nervousness. 

Stuttering Is usually related to nervousness in many cases, maybe thats why your having this.

You've had neurological testing correct? 

So if they're not finding anything I would guess it's a strange withdrawl symptom.

We can never be exactly sure what is causing our symptoms but there are many strange ones I've heard of, including myself. 

Try not to get to bogged down in this. Dwelling on symptoms can cause them to dig in and they seem to stick around longer. I'm sure it's difficult not to notice this one, but it's so important to go on as normal as you can. One day, you'll wake up and it will be back to normal I'm sure.

Take care,hoping you'll be back  to tell us your stuttering is gone and your voice is all back to normal. 

:smitten:

• Like 1

[Bu...]

Hey @[Ma...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We're so glad you found us.  @[ns...] is right, withdrawal  can cause some really strange and frightening things.  Being on the drugs themselves can also cause many issues.  I took Clonazepam for many years, and while I haven't experienced your symptoms, I've had a lot of really strange things happen.  I've been off for about 6 months now and many of them are beginning to improve. And it's good to have these things checked out medically to rule out other causes, as you did.  

I know it's really hard and frustrating, but sometimes it takes more time than it seems like it should for these issues to resolve.  Hang in there and know that you are in good company here.

• Like 1

[Ho...]
9 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hi, I was prescribed Clonazepam .5mg 3x daily in August 2023 after an adverse reaction to another medication. Within 2 weeks I developed a stutter and worsening symptoms, but was not taken off. After 7 weeks I was told to taper over 3 weeks: 1 week of twice a day, 1 week of once a day and another week of half a pill once daily. After the first week I experienced horrible withdrawl including Akathesia, Insomnia, depersonalization and horrible pain (among others). I increased the taper to 7 weeks but now know that was too rapid. About 2 weeks after my last pill (Dec. 2023) my stuttering became so bad I couldn't speak. Over the last 3 months some symptoms have decreased and I've been able to have some good days but my speech hasn't returned. I now communicate with an app, gestures or occasionally can whisper on good days. My MRI was negative for any neurological issues. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Hi there,

Yes, I had a similar situation! I was an English major and if there's one thing that always came easily to me, it was words. During the worst of things, I could barely string a sentence together. I couldn't find the words. My poor husband would look at me as if I were a crazy person; he'd wait and wait and I just couldn't get the words out to tell him what I wanted to communicate.

It took me about nine months to start getting more fluidity in my thoughts back. Even then, and now, I sometimes have difficulty pulling words up. My sister, my doctor and others have mentioned that I'm so different than I was before (meaning I'm so much better at communicating.) 

It comes back. It just takes time and there's really nothing you can do to rush it. It's important that you go easy on yourself and be as gentle as you can. Your brain needs calmness, rest and peace!

You'll be fine. You really will!

Warmly,

HCHC

• Like 2

[An...]

Hi and welcome to BB @[Ma...]

What was the other medication you had an adverse reaction to? Did you have any issues with stuttering prior to taking the klonopin? The good news is you were not on the medication long-term. You should be able to return to baseline quickly IMO.

[Ma...]
17 hours ago, [[n...] said:

MargeFargo, hi, I'm sorry. You've really had a difficult time of it and I'm sure this frightens you.

I've not heard of this, but I myself have a sort of numb, paralyzed vocal cord of sorts. When I take the dose, I get a raspy voice and numb throat. It's hard to swallow and speak properly. My mouth is very numb as if I've had a nova Cain shot to numb my gums for dental. Sorry for the spelling error.

So my words don't sound normal.

I think this symptom your having is just that, a symptom, and it should go away with time, as most symptoms do.

Withdrawal usually causes a lot of stress and and nervousness. 

Stuttering Is usually related to nervousness in many cases, maybe thats why your having this.

You've had neurological testing correct? 

So if they're not finding anything I would guess it's a strange withdrawl symptom.

We can never be exactly sure what is causing our symptoms but there are many strange ones I've heard of, including myself. 

Try not to get to bogged down in this. Dwelling on symptoms can cause them to dig in and they seem to stick around longer. I'm sure it's difficult not to notice this one, but it's so important to go on as normal as you can. One day, you'll wake up and it will be back to normal I'm sure.

Take care,hoping you'll be back  to tell us your stuttering is gone and your voice is all back to normal. 

:smitten:

Thank you for that reassurance. Its crazy all the different things that can happen. Yes it's difficult to ignore but I'm trying to keep myself busy. Thank you for sharing your story!

[Ma...]
13 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hey @[Ma...],

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We're so glad you found us.  @[ns...] is right, withdrawal  can cause some really strange and frightening things.  Being on the drugs themselves can also cause many issues.  I took Clonazepam for many years, and while I haven't experienced your symptoms, I've had a lot of really strange things happen.  I've been off for about 6 months now and many of them are beginning to improve. And it's good to have these things checked out medically to rule out other causes, as you did.  

I know it's really hard and frustrating, but sometimes it takes more time than it seems like it should for these issues to resolve.  Hang in there and know that you are in good company here.

Thank you! Finding all you and your similar stories makes me feel alot better! 

[Ma...]
11 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Hi there,

Yes, I had a similar situation! I was an English major and if there's one thing that always came easily to me, it was words. During the worst of things, I could barely string a sentence together. I couldn't find the words. My poor husband would look at me as if I were a crazy person; he'd wait and wait and I just couldn't get the words out to tell him what I wanted to communicate.

It took me about nine months to start getting more fluidity in my thoughts back. Even then, and now, I sometimes have difficulty pulling words up. My sister, my doctor and others have mentioned that I'm so different than I was before (meaning I'm so much better at communicating.) 

It comes back. It just takes time and there's really nothing you can do to rush it. It's important that you go easy on yourself and be as gentle as you can. Your brain needs calmness, rest and peace!

You'll be fine. You really will!

Warmly,

HCHC

Thank you! That really helps! I think it's so difficult for me especially because I've always been a talkative person, but now I'm learning different ways to communicate. This gives me hope that it will get better. Slow and steady is my new motto!

• Like 2

[Ma...]
9 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Hi and welcome to BB @[Ma...]

What was the other medication you had an adverse reaction to? Did you have any issues with stuttering prior to taking the klonopin? The good news is you were not on the medication long-term. You should be able to return to baseline quickly IMO.

No issues before with stuttering, but it helps to hear others have had similar symptoms. I'm also hopeful that I will get better quickly because I wasn't on it for too long. Thanks!