Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

People who tapered with Pregabalin/Gabapentin

[Bl...]

Hi 

I’m stabilised (I think 🤔) to get all my ducks in a row to start my taper . I’m managing on 10 mg daily … but feeling some WD on this . But ok . 
I had a year on Pregabalin for herniated lumbar discs and found I just forgot about my Benzo’s … they just sat in my drawer . I did still take them from time to time but there wasn’t the need, I’m not sure if I was in dependency then, or it was the high dose of Pregabalin for the acute sciatica . 
I never felt great on Pregabalin, it monged me out , and I felt flat and had dark thoughts . As soon as my back started to improve I titrated down quickly myself with NO problems at all. 

So, my Benzo use then really increased in the two years after but looking back they virtually null and voided my need or want for Benzo’s .

For people who used Pregabalin for WD while tapering , can I ask your experiences? 
What did you find out about this method ? 
why did you choose it ? 
The pluses and minuses of it ? 
Did it ease you off the Benzo’s with ease ? 
Were WD still there ? 
Did you still need to taper ? 
Was the taper quicker? Easier? 
I think I had such a bad headache when I started the Lyrica because I quit the Benzo’s CT 🤔 I think it was Benzo WD looking back . 
Thanks for any information 

[Re...]

@[Bl...] Am I understanding this correct, you are on 10 mg Diazepam right now? May I ask for how long? What doses have you been taking earlier? Have you cold turkeyed once before? 

Would you consider filling out your History under your Profile? 

You are asking if pregabalin /gabapentin would help you with your diazepam taper, right? 

[Bl...]

Yes . I’ve been using Benzo’s for 13 years . Im on 10mg now daily to start tapering . 
Doses . I’ve taken anything from 100mg a day to 5mg over that time period . 
Sorry , didn’t know about profile filling in …. I’ll put my first post on there and that tells the lot .

Yes , I’m asking for people who have had experience of using Gabapentin and pregabalin during a taper . 
Have you had experience with this ReubenRalph ? 
Thanks for your help navigating the site 👍

[Re...]

@[Bl...]

I have experience with gabapentin, but I don't have experience with it during withdrawal. My experience was not positive, it made me uncomfortably drowsy and I don't like that feelng, I could not take it. I had some serious mood swings from it (that I don't normally have) and I had to updose fast to reach the same effect. I began with 400 mg, than few days later I had to increase this to 4-5 fold. This was not sustainable and I quit it. As I read it, many people have a difficult times from gabapentin itself, some say it is difficult to taper. It itself causes dependency, the same is true to pregabalin. 

I have not heard about any medication personally, that would help everyone during benzodiazepine withdrawal.

However you decide, the "Taper Strategies" is the right place where you can get help with your diazepam taper. There are members who are way more knowleadgeable than I am when it comes to tapering. 

I am sure someone who used gabapentin/pregabalin during withdrawal will way in. You might want to try the "Search" bar on the upper right part of the screen, too, to read other Buddies' experiences. 

• Like 1

[Bl...]
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

@[Bl...] I am sure some people taking gabapentin/pregabalin during w/d will way in. 

I have experience with gabapentin, but I don't have experience with it during withdrawal. My experience was not positive, it made me uncomfortably drowsy and I don't like that feelng, I could not take it. I had some serious mood swings from it (that I don't normally have) and I had to updose fast to reach the same effect. I began with 400 mg, than few days later I had to increase this to 4-5 fold. This was not sustainable and I quit it. As I read it, many people have a difficult times from gabapentin itself, some say it is difficult to taper. It itself causes dependency, the same is true to pregabalin. 

I have not heard about any medication personally, that would help everyone during benzodiazepine withdrawal.

However you decide, the "Taper Strategies" is the right place where you can get help with your diazepam taper. There are members who are way more knowleadgeable than I am when it comes to tapering. 

I am sure someone who used gabapentin/pregabalin during withdrawal will way in. You might want to try the "Search" bar on the upper right part of the screen, too, to read other Buddies' experiences. 

Thanks Reuben 

I appreciate your reply . 
Yes !!! I was on pregabalin for herniated discs and severe sciatica, at high doses and my benzo use just fell off . Hated them !!! The Pregabalin ect. Like you , very similar experience, but I found them easy to leave , but in hindsight they did do the job with the Benzo’s … when I LOVED Benzo’s 🤔

Just got me thinking because the Benzo doesn’t love me anymore 😂

He’s left me for another lover (victim) . So I need to find the best way to get that monkey off my back , and like I saw a quick fix in him, like we all did, I’m looking for it again . 
Taper I think it will be 🤔

Edited by [Bl...]

[Pi...]

I was given lyrica to help with my withdrawal but it was horrible.  I was only on it for a couple of days but it froze my brain and took weeks to come off of.  Everybody’s brain is different so lyrica works for some and not others.

• Like 1

[Dr...]

I'm a little shocked, to be honest, that people would use Pregabalin to taper off benzo's. Had no idea! I actually got into a mental health crisis when I stopped taking Pregabalin after having taken it for only 3 weeks. I went through hell and at the time Lorazepam saved my life. After 2 months on Lorazepam, I am now tapering with tapering strips over a period of 7 months. 

Everyone is different, so using Pregabalin might work for you, but as it nearly ended me, I felt the need to at least share my experience with you. 

Good luck with the tapering! I hope it goes as smoothly as possible for you. 

• Like 2

[Bl...]
1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

I'm a little shocked, to be honest, that people would use Pregabalin to taper off benzo's. Had no idea! I actually got into a mental health crisis when I stopped taking Pregabalin after having taken it for only 3 weeks. I went through hell and at the time Lorazepam saved my life. After 2 months on Lorazepam, I am now tapering with tapering strips over a period of 7 months. 

Everyone is different, so using Pregabalin might work for you, but as it nearly ended me, I felt the need to at least share my experience with you. 

Hi Dragon 

Sorry you had that experience with pregabalin . I was on it for a year and early days the detachment issues were beyond 😳 but I was in such dire severe pain that I’d have taken ANYTHING to get out of it and it worked for that for sure . 
As soon as I could get off it as my back issue resolved I did , I was desperate to get off it , no major side effects on it except flat effect even more that normal . And the complete lack of needs for Benzo’s 💃

I titrated down quickly and easily from it myself with no problem except a wavering headache . 
You just go to show a I do how differently we all respond and react to psych meds . 
Glad you are out of the woods 

[wi...]

Pregabalin/lyrica was horrible for me. I’m lucky I survived it.

gabapentin also hell to taper and super addictive.

Edited by [wi...]

[Bl...]
1 hour ago, [[w...] said:

Pregabalin/lyrica was horrible for me. I’m lucky I survived it.

gabapentin also hell to taper and super addictive.

Did you find it much harder to taper than Benzo’s ? 
what was you symptoms when tapering Lyrica  ? 
Did you find that is stopped you wanting the Benzo’s ? 

[Dr...]
16 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi Dragon 

Sorry you had that experience with pregabalin . I was on it for a year and early days the detachment issues were beyond 😳 but I was in such dire severe pain that I’d have taken ANYTHING to get out of it and it worked for that for sure . 
As soon as I could get off it as my back issue resolved I did , I was desperate to get off it , no major side effects on it except flat effect even more that normal . And the complete lack of needs for Benzo’s 💃

I titrated down quickly and easily from it myself with no problem except a wavering headache . 
You just go to show a I do how differently we all respond and react to psych meds . 
Glad you are out of the woods 

I totally understand the despair and wanting relieve from physical pain. That's why I was prescribed Lyrica (Pregabalin). It didn't reduce my pain, so that's why I stopped taking it. 

I'm happy you were able to taper it easily and without too much trouble. Our bodies are all different indeed and we respond different to medication, depending on what our previous experiences have been (epigenitics, trauma, illnesses, diet, etc). 

• Like 1

[Ra...]
On 18/03/2024 at 01:44, [[D...] said:

@[Dr...] what was you symptoms from lyrica withdrawals?? 

[Dr...]
On 19/03/2024 at 17:57, [[R...] said:

@[Dr...] what was you symptoms from lyrica withdrawals?? 

It was tremors, anxiety, restlessness, brain zaps, loss of appetite, insomnia, suicidal ideation, cramps, extremely high heart rate, depersonalization, derealisation and I'm probably forgetting many others... 

[Ra...]
1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

It was tremors, anxiety, restlessness, brain zaps, loss of appetite, insomnia, suicidal ideation, cramps, extremely high heart rate, depersonalization, derealisation and I'm probably forgetting many others... 

@[Dr...] 😱  OMG

i am on lyrica 100mg from 7 months 

After how long your symptoms were fully resolved. 

[Dr...]
4 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

@[Dr...] 😱  OMG

i am on lyrica 100mg from 7 months 

After how long your symptoms were fully resolved. 

I was only on Lyrica for 3 weeks. Then 1 week on a half dosis, which turned out to be ridiculous as half the day I was already going through withdrawal (but it was what the doctor had advised). I never actually recovered from the withdrawal. I got so bad that I was admitted to the mental health crisis services and put on Lorazepam which I am now tapering off over a period of 7 months. 

But I also understand now that the self made THC oil I had been using for 4 years to help me sleep, was part of the reason why I experienced such withdrawal symptoms. 

We are all different and have had different experiences so don't let mine freak you out! 

• Like 1

[Li...]
On 15/03/2024 at 11:33, [[B...] said:

Hi 

I’m stabilised (I think 🤔) to get all my ducks in a row to start my taper . I’m managing on 10 mg daily … but feeling some WD on this . But ok . 
I had a year on Pregabalin for herniated lumbar discs and found I just forgot about my Benzo’s … they just sat in my drawer . I did still take them from time to time but there wasn’t the need, I’m not sure if I was in dependency then, or it was the high dose of Pregabalin for the acute sciatica . 
I never felt great on Pregabalin, it monged me out , and I felt flat and had dark thoughts . As soon as my back started to improve I titrated down quickly myself with NO problems at all. 

So, my Benzo use then really increased in the two years after but looking back they virtually null and voided my need or want for Benzo’s .

For people who used Pregabalin for WD while tapering , can I ask your experiences? 
What did you find out about this method ? 
why did you choose it ? 
The pluses and minuses of it ? 
Did it ease you off the Benzo’s with ease ? 
Were WD still there ? 
Did you still need to taper ? 
Was the taper quicker? Easier? 
I think I had such a bad headache when I started the Lyrica because I quit the Benzo’s CT 🤔 I think it was Benzo WD looking back . 
Thanks for any information 

@[Bl...]  I finished a 4.5 year taper in Jan of this year.  A couple of years ago my dr gave me a low dose of gabapentin to see if I felt that it helped my withdrawal.  For me I did feel a little bit better on it and it helped me sleep.  I only took a low dose of 300 mgs at night before bedtime.  However, since I have been off the benzos for almost 3 months I decided a few days ago that I wanted to start tapering my gabapentin.  So I went from 300mgs at night to 200 mgs.  I feel terrible.  I have had the worst headache for 5 days now.  I had heard and read that it can cause problems getting off.  Was it worth the little bit of help during my taper?  Its hard to say but hindsight is 20/20.  I don't think it allowed me to taper any faster it just mainly let me sleep better.  

• Like 1

[Bl...]
51 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

@[Bl...]  I finished a 4.5 year taper in Jan of this year.  A couple of years ago my dr gave me a low dose of gabapentin to see if I felt that it helped my withdrawal.  For me I did feel a little bit better on it and it helped me sleep.  I only took a low dose of 300 mgs at night before bedtime.  However, since I have been off the benzos for almost 3 months I decided a few days ago that I wanted to start tapering my gabapentin.  So I went from 300mgs at night to 200 mgs.  I feel terrible.  I have had the worst headache for 5 days now.  I had heard and read that it can cause problems getting off.  Was it worth the little bit of help during my taper?  Its hard to say but hindsight is 20/20.  I don't think it allowed me to taper any faster it just mainly let me sleep better.  

Yes 👍 the gabapentin heads 🤢 you get it going on them and coming off , but they do go . I found that the only real symptom of tapering Gabapentin. 
I’m tapering without , see how I go , I may consider it at the end if it gets very tough , only because I didn’t like it and couldn’t wait to get off it . 
good luck 🤞 the headaches will go and I’d advise a quick taper from my own experience on it for a year . 

[Li...]
23 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Yes 👍 the gabapentin heads 🤢 you get it going on them and coming off , but they do go . I found that the only real symptom of tapering Gabapentin. 
I’m tapering without , see how I go , I may consider it at the end if it gets very tough , only because I didn’t like it and couldn’t wait to get off it . 
good luck 🤞 the headaches will go and I’d advise a quick taper from my own experience on it for a year . 

@[Bl...] Thanks.  I don't plan on drawing out this taper.  This headache it brutal.  Good luck to you as well  :)

• Like 1

[ns...]
On 21/03/2024 at 07:13, [[L...] said:

@[Bl...] Thanks.  I don't plan on drawing out this taper.  This headache it brutal.  Good luck to you as well  :)

Hi lisaloo5565,

I took Gabapentin for yrs, mostly off and on for trigeminal neuralgia. I wasn't told it can cause hyponatremia, and I now have hyponatremia. 

I slowly tapered down and it wasn't actually top difficult but I did suffer withdrawal nut nothing like benzo withdrawal. 

Please get your sodium checked ok, this could be whats causing your headaches. Gabapentin depletes sodium so it's important to eat extra salt, or even drink a hydration drink. I'm sure your fine but I wouldn't want you to suffer low sodium episodes. 

Try a step down process, from 300, 200, 100, 50 to 25 and done. Each step for about a week. 

Good luck with your taper lisaloo

Ns

[Li...]
On 23/03/2024 at 20:25, [[n...] said:

Hi lisaloo5565,

I took Gabapentin for yrs, mostly off and on for trigeminal neuralgia. I wasn't told it can cause hyponatremia, and I now have hyponatremia. 

I slowly tapered down and it wasn't actually top difficult but I did suffer withdrawal nut nothing like benzo withdrawal. 

Please get your sodium checked ok, this could be whats causing your headaches. Gabapentin depletes sodium so it's important to eat extra salt, or even drink a hydration drink. I'm sure your fine but I wouldn't want you to suffer low sodium episodes. 

Try a step down process, from 300, 200, 100, 50 to 25 and done. Each step for about a week. 

Good luck with your taper lisaloo

Ns

@[ns...] I'm definitely doing a slow taper.  I take celtic salt everyday for my bones, hydration/electrolytes, and other things.  I'm sure my sodium is good.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm so tired of being on any medications.  ugh.  :)

• Like 1