Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam

[Je...]

Hello i have been on .5 mg on  clonazepam for 3 weeks.Do i need to taper off and how long should it take. Thanks🙂

Edited by [Je...]

[Co...]

Hello @[Je...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I think just about any doctor would tell you, after such limited use, and from a small dose, that you should just stop taking it in a single step. If you are anxious about doing this, maybe take a half dose for a few days at the most. It is possible to develop dependency after a few weeks of use. So, if you are trying to avoid this - which is probably sensible - you should quit sooner rather than later.

This assumes that you do not suffer from a seizure disorder. In such cases, I would advise first discussing this with a neurologist.

[Li...]

Hello and welcome @[Je...].  Just checking … will this be the first time you’ve taken and stopped a benzodiazepine or other psychotropic medication (e.g. antidepressant, antipsychotic)?

• Like 1

[Je...]
1 hour ago, [[C...] said:

Hello @[Je...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I think just about any doctor would tell you, after such limited use, and from a small dose, that you should just stop taking it in a single step. If you are anxious about doing this, maybe take a half dose for a few days at the most. It is possible to develop dependency after a few weeks of use. So, if you are trying to avoid this - which is probably sensible - you should quit sooner rather than later.

This assumes that you do not suffer from a seizure disorder. In such cases, I would advise first discussing this with a neurologist.

Thank you Colin. My anxiety all comes from me developing insomnia. I just want to get off clonazepam as it doesn't really help with my anxiety and dont want to deal with it longterm. Im on ambien for sleep, want to get off that too. Thank you colin. 😘

[Co...]
7 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Thank you Colin. My anxiety all comes from me developing insomnia. I just want to get off clonazepam as it doesn't really help with my anxiety and dont want to deal with it longterm. Im on ambien for sleep, want to get off that too. Thank you colin. 😘

Hi @[Je...]

Ah, that takes us to what @[Li...] was asking:

54 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Hello and welcome @[Je...].  Just checking … will this be the first time you’ve taken and stopped a benzodiazepine or other psychotropic medication (e.g. antidepressant, antipsychotic)?

Whilst Ambien is not a benzodiazepine (rather, it is 'z-drug), its mode of action is s similar to benzodiazepines, we make very little distinction between the two drug categories around here. For how long have you been taking Ambien?

[Je...]
56 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Yes. This is first time on a benzo. Thank you ❤

[Je...]
5 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Hi @[Je...]

Ah, that takes us to what @[Li...] was asking:

Whilst Ambien is not a benzodiazepine (rather, it is 'z-drug), its mode of action is s similar to benzodiazepines, we make very little distinction between the two drug categories around here. For how long have you been taking Ambien?

I month now

[Co...]

Have you discussed quitting with your doctor? What is your dose of Ambien?

In your shoes, I think I would quit Clonazepam first, and assuming that goes OK, then quit Ambien maybe a week later (or when you feel ready). Due its very short half-live, Ambien, taken by itself, has a low risk of inducing dependency if taken no more regularly than once a day (usually at night). (Though, I would not say there is no risk of developing dependency.)

Clonazepam is the riskier of the two in terms of developing dependency, and more so given that you are taking it in combination with Ambien.

Again, you should discuss your plans with your doctor.

Check out my history and posts.  Your story is exactly how my story began.  I developed insomnia and I was started on ambien.  Ambien stopped working due to tolerance.  Chronic use of ambien likely led to me developing depression and more anxiety and worsening insomnia.  I stopped CT, which was a bad idea.  Then I was started on clonazepam a few weeks later.  Clonazepam worked well for a month or two.  Then same thing...developed tolerance, worsening insomnia, anxiety, depression.  Truth is, I never really had major depression before started on z-drugs/benzos.  I had anxiety and maybe real mild intermittent depression but all was managed with exercise.  I wasn't on any medications before I started these. It wasn't until I met with a psychologist last year who pointed out the benzos may be what is causing all my symptoms.  

These drugs do not promote true sleep.  They reduce anxiety and help you "fall" asleep. They inhibit or reduce the brain from going into stage 3/4 sleep and reduce/inhibit REM sleep.  These are the most important stages of the sleep cycle.  Why is this important? I would recommend watching Matthew Walker's (a neuroscientists who's PhD is in sleep) master class on sleep, it is on youtube.  So years of these drugs inhibiting me from getting actual restful sleep the results are developing depression, mood, anxiety, severe poor health.  

Everyone's medical condition is different and unique to them.  Not everyone develops issues with these medications.  But they messed me up.  I want people to know what I went through so they can make informed decisions on what is best for their own health.

Wanna know what I do for insomnia now?  I run, do yoga, get sunshine, reduce stress.  No cell phone or tv or screen 2-3 hours before bedtime.  I don't consume caffeine (maybe a tea every now and then).  I journal in bed under candle light.  I meditate yoga nidra if I need to.  My bedroom is a sanctuary of peace- brown noise machine, dark/cold room, no electronics, no light at night.  If I get a bad night's sleep, oh well, I don't stress about it like I used to.  In the worst of my withdrawal I took trazodone nightly.  I still do (I am still withdrawing) but at a lower dose.  I don't think I'll need it much longer.  Guess what...I sleep like a baby.  I sleep SO much better than I did while I was on benzos/z-drugs.  I feel rested when I wake up.  I seriously haven't slept this well in 8 years (I was on benzo/z-drugs for over 6 years).

• Like 1