Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anxiety..

Hello when I have been out and get home anxiety is out of control..has this happened to anyone.  Why does it happen 

.thank you.  X 

[Ma...]

I believe your system is reacting to outside stimulus. I think of myself as the ‘girl in the bubble’-home is PERCEIVED safe, it’s what my system is accustomed to.

You’re maybe absorbing the outside stimuli and bringing it home with you.

This is where Exposure Therapy comes into play. You have to repetitively expose yourself to environments you’re not presently accustomed to and just bring that anxiety with you-over and over-until it learns everything is safe. Bring it back with you and then calm your revved up system. Between stimulus and response there is space. Use that space to float above and not respond, or learn to respond differently.

Keep going out, just keep doing it. Unlock your jaw, lower your shoulders, remember to breathe; ground yourself by stomping 1 foot then the next onto the pavement, take your shoes off and walk in the grass, name the colors and sounds around you and remind yourself: I Am Okay.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

[ns...]

Hi Dut, yes I get this all the time. We go to the store and before we even hit the garage I'm getting anxious. When I'm having serious symptoms my husband takes me for a ride and it usually helps, but when we get home I get really anxious and symptoms flare before we even get home.

I think it's because when we're home alot, it's more difficult to distract. If we have something to do, we're distracted. I think that makes sense. 

I always have to keep myself busy even when I'm sitting, which I do all day long. Sit!

I read bb, other social media etc but can't watch TV, listen to music or talk on the phone. 

It's a challenge but its doable. 

Try to keep hands and mind busy ok

Sorry your going thru this, I know it's tough!

Watch trey Jones anxiety on YouTube, used to watch him alot, but can't focus now.

I think he'll help if u can sit still to watch 

Take care 

Ns

::)

[Hu...]
2 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Research the Wim Hof Method. It can be incredibly useful.

Only the cold baths or the breathing as well? I've seen those breathing techniques on TV and almost get short of breath seeing them.

28 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Hi Dut, yes I get this all the time. We go to the store and before we even hit the garage I'm getting anxious. When I'm having serious symptoms my husband takes me for a ride and it usually helps, but when we get home I get really anxious and symptoms flare before we even get home.

I think it's because when we're home alot, it's more difficult to distract. If we have something to do, we're distracted. I think that makes sense. 

I always have to keep myself busy even when I'm sitting, which I do all day long. Sit!

I read bb, other social media etc but can't watch TV, listen to music or talk on the phone. 

It's a challenge but its doable. 

Try to keep hands and mind busy ok

Sorry your going thru this, I know it's tough!

Watch trey Jones anxiety on YouTube, used to watch him alot, but can't focus now.

I think he'll help if u can sit still to watch 

Take care 

Ns

::)

Thank you . That's exactly me..how.long have you been like this. Z

[Ma...]

@[Hu...] Just start slow. There are many breathing techniques you can try. For me, breathe in 4, hold for 6 out slowly through my mouth 8. In 6 repetitions.

I believe Wim Hof may be more significant with the cold plunges. When feeling panic put your face in a bowl of ice water. Or do this, but particularly the cold shower, 1st thing in the morning as it ‘sets’ your system.

• Like 1

[Bl...]
3 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Research the Wim Hof Method. It can be incredibly useful.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2024/mar/13/wim-hof-breathing-cold-exposure-method-benefits-study

I looked into this man briefly just now . Isn’t getting Adrenalin down our major concern ? 
Is he good for breathing techniques ? I’d certainly not want to be increasing stress hormones , Adrenalin and nuropinophrine increase are definitely something I’d avoid . 

[Bl...]
2 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Clearly, for some it Does Not Work.

Which part ? The Adrenalin inducing ice bath stuff ? 
Can you tell me what you found worked for you that he has on offer? 
Always good to hear personal feedback on regimes . 👍

[Ma...]

I can’t do the ice baths, as I don’t have the patience. They take time, training shall we say, but apparently are extremely helpful for many.

If you’re having a panic attack and put your face in a large bowl of ice water it does help-me. It’s worth a try…

• Like 1

[ns...]
1 hour ago, [[n...] said:

I've had anxiety for quite awhile. Once in withdrawal I've had a different time with this.  I didn't realize it helped to go somewhere until last yr when my husband insisted we go for a ride, then I knew. So we go grocery shopping for exposure therapy about once a week.  It helps so much to get out. Now that the weather is getting nicer we can go more so I'm looking forward to that!

Hope u can get relief Dut  changing out minds and turning our focus to other things is great distraction. 

Right now, I'm trying to get ready to go to the store. Having a really tough time today. But I'm pushing myself to get dressed!

Just hsve to push Dut else we'll rot sitting doing nothing!

When I get to the store I'll have to talk to myself, I'm safe, I'm uncomfortable but I'm ok, breath, focus on the mission or look around to distract. My ears are going to hurt but I'll tune out the noise!

I'm going to make it today, no matter what it takes. You will too, just push on!

Ns

:highfive:

Made it! Barely  but I made it! Good job!

This was by far the hardest exposure I've done yet!

Had constant panic attacks I the store??? Idk why it's gotten so much harder. I know the lorazapam doses I'm taking are making my mouth, throat and tongue numb. Feelsike my vocal cords are numb after I take it. I get so much anxiety just after I take it. I know I've got to get these things gone  they are making me sick!

I cringe every time it's time to take it and it hurts me everytime. 

This had to stop!

I'm at .08 now, going to get to .05 and be done, if I can make it thar far. They give me anxiety! But it's the worst anxiety I've ever had.panic attacks constantly until bedtime. 

It's he'll living like this!

Ns