Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam Paradoxical

[Ya...]

HI
I am on Clonazepam  and from one month it gave me Paradoxical effect 
my nerves is burning and burning and it increase every day
and even I stay for a month it increase in burning 
what should I do 
I am on 0.25 mg 
but before it I was on it on it for month without any problems
Can any one say to me what happens? 

[ba...]

No one knows why this happens, but it is more common than you think. I have had it through my taper. Everytime it hits, I reduce my dose, sometimes 3 weeks, the last one was 8 days. This last reduction was intense, so I went part way back up, and was still paradoxing. Went back down again today. The first day is usually much better, but day 2 I will likely start paradoxing again. I just have to ride it out.

It's a horrible place to be, but  any time I have tried to updose beyond my last cut, the paradox was significantly worse. Holding while doses were paradoxical never helped either.

I brought this up a long time ago, and got a lot of really scary responses. Please don't feed in to negativity about it, if any thread or forum says your doomed, your not. It's just freaking hard, but it does wane once a reduction settles.

You said it started in a month. Mine started early too, if only I had known then, I made a mess, dosing erratically thinking the xanax would help, it didn't. I used to add a bump to a paradoxical worse, and it made it worse. Once I figured it it was the drug causing it, I quit trying to fix it with updosing, bumping, or holding.

Hope this helps!

[Li...]

Hello @[Ya...].

A paradoxical reaction to a drug is an effect that is opposite to what would usually be expected.

Benzodiazepines have hypnotic, sedative, anxiolytic, anticonvulsant, and muscle relaxing effects.  So paradoxical effects would be opposite to these.

For example, per the US FDA drug label, the following paradoxical reactions have been observed for clonazepam: irritability, aggression, agitation, nervousness, hostility, anxiety, sleep disturbances, nightmares, abnormal dreams, and hallucinations.

Could the burning sensation you’re experiencing be an adverse reaction to the clonazepam?  Or could it be a sign of interdose withdrawal from the clonazepam?  (If it’s an adverse reaction, the burning sensation would peak within an hour or so after you take your dose.  If it’s a sign of interdose withdrawal, the burning sensation would worsen as the time of your next dose approaches.) 

According to your past posts, you switched from Ativan (lorazepam) to clonazepam at some point and also took and discontinued two atypical antipsychotics (Zyprexa and Abilify). I wonder if the burning sensation could be related to these medication changes? (The nervous system can become sensitized if too many changes are made in drugs that affect it.)

It’s difficult to know what might be causing the burning sensation without a complete medication history.  If you would like further input from members on this topic, might I suggest that you provide a topline summary of the medications you’ve taken, when you took them, as well as the doses you took?

• Like 1

[ns...]
17 hours ago, [[Y...] said:

HI
I am on Clonazepam  and from one month it gave me Paradoxical effect 
my nerves is burning and burning and it increase every day
and even I stay for a month it increase in burning 
what should I do 
I am on 0.25 mg 
but before it I was on it on it for month without any problems
Can any one say to me what happens? 

Yaman, 

Sorry your having such a tough time.

I'm tapering lorazepam. I've had a paradoxical reaction to it since the beginning of my taper which is why I had to taper to begin with. 

The lorazapam had the opposite effect on me.it gave me anxiety, nausea, muscle spasms and everything im going through in withdrawal with every dose. Even as I cut it lower and lower, nothing helped. The only solution was to taper and this is no picnic! 

I think Your only recourse is to taper at this point.

Hopefully your symptoms will decrease as you go down in your taper. Your not on a very high dose, so it Hopefully it won't take too long.

You'll need to get someone here to help u plan a taper schedule if you haven't done so already. 

I wish you well

Ns