Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Shrink prescibed me medication to taper Klonopin fast. Confused.

[No...]

Hi all! 👋

I was tapering Klonopin according to Ashton Manual -- 10% off every two weeks (I'm taking 2.5mgs currently). But I have a bad gut issue from the drug, so I went to this new shrink (cuz the doc who prescribed me Klonopin knew nothing of tapering or gut issues -- he gave me a SSRI and said to take it and taper 1mg per day, which I didn't do), and she gave me below drugs, and said to taper: Starting with 2mgs, 2mgs in the 1st 5 days, 1mg in the next 5 days (1mgs off), and 0.5mgs in the next 5 days (0.5mgs off), then jump I suppose.

• For the withdrawals, she gave me the below medications:

Nexito: An antidepressant, and said to increase Serotonin levels.

Zycopan: Is said to restore chemical imbalances in the brain.

• For gut issues:

Sago: An Antioxidant. Contains Gluten-free starch and carbs, Prebiotic Fiber, etc.

And a Bunch of Vitamins.

So, as to this Shrink, I'm supposed to taper off Klonopin in 15 days, and the withdrawals are supposed to be minimised by Nexito and Zycopan. 

Do you guys think this approach is Ok? Or will I end up in a worse situation? I know there's no exact answer to this. But I just wanted you guys' opinion about this.

Thank you for any input 🙏

[Re...]

Hello @[No...]Welcome to BenzoBuddies! 

I approved your first post.

I am very sorry for what you are going through. It is wonderful that you know the Ashton manual already, that is a huge advantage. 

May I ask how long have you been taking the 2,5 mg Klonopin, and for how long you have been on benzodiazepines? What were your previous dosages and may I ask why you have been taking Klonopin? 

The amount you have been taking is a relatively high dose. The reduction rate you mention in your post is very fast, too fast for most people here. The 15 day taper is a rapid taper, and many people have difficulties after these. Please read about rapid cessation here. 

The general reduction rate is 5-10% of your previous dose every two - three weeks. People choose a slow taper and they often have a taper method they are comfortable with.

People have different experiences with escitalopram and hyoscine during withdrawal (these are the Zycopan and Nexito), but these can be very important too, should you have other conditions that need treatment. I am not certain if these can alleviate withdrawal from clonazepam/Klonopin. 

Many of our members have successfully tapered benzodiazepines, this is doable. But for most of them, a slow taper - as in the Ashton manual - is required, with a preferred method. 

Let us know how we can help you further. We are happy you found us! 

RR

• Love 1

[No...]
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, [[R...] said:

It is wonderful that you know the Ashton manual already,

Thank you so much for approving my post! :)

I had much time to research about it, and I got to know about Ashton manual and started my taper according to it (Well, as close as I can).

how long have you been taking the 2,5 mg Klonopin

I was tapering it off for around 3 years now. I'm good (with the slow taper I was on) if not this debilitating gut issue that started after into the 1st year of the taper.

how long you have been on benzodiazepines? What were your previous dosages and may I ask why you have been taking Klonopin? 

I was not on it on a regular basis. Over around 5 years, some days I would take an insane dose of like 12mgs, and then go without it for days (I was being so so so stupid). Initially, the doc (previous one) prescribed me about 1/2 mgs, and updosed it when I reached the dependency levels. I took it cuz I couldn't do my job as an IT educator, cuz I was constantly having an anxiety closer to a panic attack when I'm with people (Specially when I have to stand in front of them and teach). After I reached a dependency level that can no longer be updosed (the drug stopped working at around 7mgs as I recall, maybe lower), my brain short-circuited. On top of that, then I got into a toxic relationship, which caused me to throw away my senses and gulp down this awful drug carelessly as I've mentioned above (For Ex. When I had a fight with the girlfriend, I used to get so mad and throw down a bunch of 2mg pills down the throat with some beer).

The reduction rate you mention in your post is very fast, too fast for most people here. The 15 day taper is a rapid taper, and many people have difficulties after these.

The general reduction rate is 5-10% of your previous dose every two - three weeks

I'm very well aware of that! That's why I've asked this question. This shrink is trying to convince me that her method, only her method is correct by saying "Do what I say for a month, and if you think it's not working diss me off". She completely dismisses the Ashton manual and says "Not everything on the internet is correct" and "You've taken the doctor's job into your own hands". It's true that I behaved carelessly and got in trouble. But I've corrected myself and managed to taper down the drug at least to 2.5mgs.

should you have other conditions that need treatment

The IBS-like gut problem is my only other condition.

I am not certain if these can alleviate withdrawal from clonazepam/Klonopin. 

Yes, that's what I suspected. And I was worried about this the whole day till I got a response here. Thank you!

Let us know how we can help you further.

Well, what do you suggest kindly? Diss this doctor and proceed with my regular 10% reduction schedule? Could the other medications I've prescribed have at least some kinda help with tapering, or they are also dangerous and addictive?

I appreciate your reply very much, and thank you for the well wishes 🙏

Edited by [No...]

[Re...]

Thank you for clearing this up, @[No...]

I believe you are heading to a very important part in your recovery. Benzodiazepines are efficient drugs, they fill a reasonable amnount of receptors even in small doses. That is the reason a taper is easier on higher doses, and a bit more difficult when we go lower. 

In my opinion, it would be to crucial continue your slow tapering schedule above. You know your own preferred reduction rate already. A hyperbolic taper might benefit you, too, meaning the reduction of a previous dose, not from the original dose. This results in smaller and smaller cuts and it is less heavy on our central nervous system. 

There is a new book, pulblished recently, called The Maudsley Depescribing Guidelines (link), written by Mark Horowitz and David Taylor. The Maudsley book series is well known among doctors - as far as I know. This has a lot of information on the dangers of long time therapy of benzodiazepines, recommended taper schedules, many sources and references, information on benzodiazepine withdrawal (you might be experiencing this already - the gut issues you mention), and risk of protracted withdrawal, etc. This might be useful for you and for your doctor as well. I added some links to the text from the website of the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition - definitely worth reading. But I believe you now this site already.

This book has information about depescribing antidepressants as well, because these may cause dependency, too. People's experiences are different when it comes to these. There is no drug -as I know -  that would clearly help everyone in benzodiazepine withdrawal. 

I tapered from 4,5 mgs of alprazolam and an antidepressant in 3 months and I am still symptomatic, I still can not work. I am 9 months out, I notice the improvement but this is really slow. I often wish I had tapered slower and did more research (like you!!!) on this topic. Same as you, I started this therapy originally, because I had social anxiety and "stage fright".  

I really hope you will be able to find common ground with your prescriber and find a solution that is working for you both.

Take very good care, 

RR 

• Love 1

[No...]
Posted (edited)

@[Re...] Thank you so much for the links and the valuable information. I'll check out that book that you've mentioned. 

A hyperbolic taper might benefit you

Yes, I'll try and gonna do that. I was going very slow, like 0.125mgs off for a week, which didn't give me any unnecessary side effects like insomnia (That's one major symptom I get when I try to go faster in the past). I went to this new doc, not because I was confused about how to taper (I already knew my taper speed by experimenting with it), but to take some advice for my gut issue. But then she started loading on me Her personal stance about How to taper, which confused me to no end. Cuz I've already read articles, posts, people's withdrawal experiences etc. I think She's not gonna accept whatever I tell her about what I've found researching, cuz as to her "All the internet is nonsense and filled with brain-dead people", so I'm not gonna bother and spend the little energy I've left on it.

Anywho, I wish you'd heal soon too. I have a relatively long journey to taper the drug completely off though. This weekend I'm gonna try out a Reiki healing session too, might be helpful.

I am still symptomatic, I still can not work.

Gosh I'm so Sorry.

Kinda same here. But since I don't have to work in social situations now (I think I'm never meant to be a social person, and I think I messed up by trying to fit in with the society), I could work on my computer a couple of hours per day.

I'll be posting more questions when something new happens or occurs to me. Appreciate your kind inputs very much.

See ya around.

Take very good care you too!

P.s (Btw I'm from Asia, so not exactly in a same medical culture as in the US and similar countries).

Edited by [No...]