Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How can a psyciatrist actually be of any help? Zolpiclone

My story is in the tapering section. This is more of a general question.

I have been treated and prescribed Zolpiclone by my GP until now (2 months), but now got a a consultation with a psyciatrist in about a week. 

My country is very strict with the prescription of psychoactive meds. My doctor didn't want to take responsibility for psyciatric treatment. 

At the moment I don't have much faith in that a psyciatrist can help with anything: Give me strongers benzos which I don't want.  I am already on SSRI. Possibly he will prescribe anticonvulsants/muscle relaxers, which is what I actually need, not sleep meds. Tell me that I need to try harder not to have muscle spasms by practising good sleep hygiene (tone: sarcastic). Or wants me off the Z, which doesn't treat the issue of muscle spasms/nerve twinges, which is why I take them,  but insomnia as such, but without any other suggestions.

Edited by [...]

[Ma...]

What “if” the psychiatrist helps? What ‘if’ you like this person and it ends up being beneficial? If you go into the appointment already deciding it will fail you won’t be open to any positive outcome. 

I’d suggest reading the Benzo Information Coalition guidelines for meds/supplements that are contraindicated in withdrawal. Some a/D’s and anticonvulsant are NOT, such as Trileptal. Per Ashton, a small dose of Doxepin.

A lot of psychiatrists also offer therapy which can be extremely helpful.

Do your research, arm yourself with the right information, be open to receive more information and guard yourself from anticipatory anxiety.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained, as the saying says…

• Like 1

Thank you. That is a wise answer. So many people are frustrated with, angry at, or just plain give up on their psychiatrist, and I think I was affected by that. 

I'll give him a chance.