Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need help tapering off valium and hydroxyzine

[bl...]

Hello everyone. I’ve been taking very low doses of Valium from a 10 mg tablet since November 2023. I would only use it occasionally. Then 2x a week. Since Feb 20 2024 I’ve been taking it almost every day, and since 3/1/24 I’ve been taking 1mg with 2mg hydroxyzine from a 25mg tablet every night. I know that’s not much at all but it affects me greatly. When I try to stop taking them both, I get bad anxiety, tremors, and disassociation. I don’t even want to take them anymore, but my body makes me. It’s affecting my mental health and causing sleeping problems. Idk how to even taper off such a low dose. I can’t tell if it’s the hydroxyzine or Valium causing such bad side effects. I’m terrified of the possibility of a seizure.  Any advice appreciated :(

Edited by [bl...]

[Re...]

Hello @[bl...], welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I approved your first post. 

I am sorry you are symptomatic after a few month's use, sometimes it does not take a long time for these medications to cause some trouble, form dependency.

If you remember, could you tel us how much Valium you have been taking? If you took only a proportion of the Valium tablet, could you teel us what proportion that was? A quarter, a half? Why did you start the Valium?

Do you suffer from a seizure disorder, did you experience any earlier? That seems to happen very rare, mostly after high doses and sudden discontinuation after long use. 

Sorry for these questions, I think it will help others see a bit more clearly. 

I am very happy you found us!

RR

[bl...]
2 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Hello @[bl...], welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I approved your first post. 

I am sorry you are symptomatic after a few month's use, sometimes it does not take a long time for this medications to cause some trouble, form dependeny. 

If you remember, could you tel us how much Valium you have been taking? If you took only a proportion of the Valium tablet, could you teel us what proportion that was? A quarter, a half? Why did you start the Valium?

Do you suffer from a seizure disorder, did you experience any earlier? That seems to happen very rare, mostly after high doses and sudden discontinuation after long use. 

Sorry for these questions, I think it will help others see a bit more clearly. 

I am very happy you found us!

RR

I cut the 10mg tablet in half, then half again to get 5mg, then half again to get 2.5 mg, then half again to get around 1 mg. I took a little less than that 1mg. I don’t have a seizure disorder. I took the Valium for anxiety. Thank you for your comment. I think it’s the hydroxyzine that’s causing the tremors and anxiety. 

[Re...]

Thank you for clearing these up. So you take about 1 mg now (or 1.25 mg)? How long did it take you to get to 1.25 mg?

What you describe might be very well signs of diazepam/Valium discontinuation, this happens quite often. Dependency (some level) can occur after a few months use. I personally doubt it is the hydroxyzine.

Are your symptoms intolerable at this point?   I would personally wait a little until I stabilize, I would not jump yet.

It is important to consider your functionality here, if you can tolerate this. Can you fulfill your daily duties? I would definitely try to invest in a jeweler's scale, if you do dry tapering with cutting from tablets, so your future cuts and current dose will be more stabile. It might be worth considering what tablets/oral liquids are available in your region if you have further issues

I think a lot depends on your symptoms and functionality. 

• Love 1

[Co...]

Hello @[bl...]

Do you take hydroxyzine every night? If so, for how long have you been taking it? I ask because, typically, tolerance to hydroxyzine develops in a matter of weeks. This necessitates an increase in dose for it to again be effective.

I have have taken hydroxyzine for about 17 years - very rarely these days - but more frequently in the past. However, I would usually take it for no more than a few days (with, typically, a few months in between), and (very rarely) would take it for a week or two at the very most.

The fist time I took it for (extreme insomnia), I think it was for about two weeks or so. I believe the dose was 25mg. Nearly always since then, I have taken just 12.5mg. I have tried 6.25mg, but to little to no effect.

Of course, how individuals react varies. I just provide my experience for comparison. But rapid development of tolerance is to be expected in anyone who takes hydroxyzine regularly. It is also worth knowing that it results in cognitive dulling when taken regularly.

There is always a balance to be struck when taking a medicine (risk vs benefit). But if you have been taking hydroxyzine for an extended period, there might be little to no benefit.