Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Symptoms amp up when I enter my home 🏡

[ap...]

My husband will take me out for a drive at night and I manage okay but as soon as I enter my home and my bedroom my symptoms go haywire. Why?

Do you spend a lot of time at home? You psyche could correlate symptoms with your home. Like how insomniacs learn to correlate the bed with frustration?

Or you area distracted when you are out, but when you get home, your attention is turned back to your symptoms?

Mold is another possibility.

Edited by [...]
  • Like 2

Happens to me too. I just have to enter my main door to have my lightheadedness go up 3x! I guess we are more hypervigilant when we are all by ourselves. 

• Like 1

[Gr...]

When I used to get like that, I would try to open the door and look up at the sky if it was daytime look at the clouds whether it was sunny or not if it was nighttime, I would try to look at a few stars just for a few minutes, even though I was super sensitive to light I would make myself do it seem to help wishing you all the best in recovery 

• Like 1

[ns...]
9 hours ago, [[a...] said:

My husband will take me out for a drive at night and I manage okay but as soon as I enter my home and my bedroom my symptoms go haywire. Why?

Wow I did this! We would take me fir drives to see if it would help me and it did. I was distracted! I'd get home and before I even got out of the car, symptoms hit me and I couldn't breathe, anxiety, panic.

It's because we're back in the environment were always in, doing much of nothing abd that irritated me so much. 

I couldn't distract as well. I still have to practice distraction and changing my focus on my symptoms so that when I go out for exposure therapy it's easier.

Try distraction, changing your focus, keeping your hands and mind busy, UT helps!

Take care 

Ns

• Like 2

[Ho...]

I know what you mean! Now, for me, I'm finally realizing that something about my nervous system is still a bit fragile. I'll go out, alone or with my husband, and shop or do whatever I needed to do and feel not horrible. Then I come home and bam, there it is. Another wave.

The wave calms down, usually in a day or two. I think I get overstimulated, and the wave is a consequence. I notice that if I go into a quiet room with my iPad, lay down and watch an easy show, I feel a bit better.

I don't think it's necessarily your home at all! It very well could be just a little nerve reverberation from the stimulus of being out of the house. At the same time, it's important for us to get out and about, do what we can and pat ourselves on the back. Baby steps. 

Good for you for getting out! I wonder if you had something to do the minute you walked in the door if that would wise your mind away to a better place and get you through that overstimulated place more easily. Just a thought!!

Warmly,

HCHC

Edited by [Ho...]
spelling
  • Like 1

[ap...]
10 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Wow I did this! We would take me fir drives to see if it would help me and it did. I was distracted! I'd get home and before I even got out of the car, symptoms hit me and I couldn't breathe, anxiety, panic.

It's because we're back in the environment were always in, doing much of nothing abd that irritated me so much. 

I couldn't distract as well. I still have to practice distraction and changing my focus on my symptoms so that when I go out for exposure therapy it's easier.

Try distraction, changing your focus, keeping your hands and mind busy, UT helps!

Take care 

Ns

It's just our cns being out of whack. When we heal being at home or out will.make no difference. I used to race out the door now I allow myself to just accept my surroundings. It will settle down 

• Like 1

[ap...]
1 hour ago, [[H...] said:

I know what you mean! Now, for me, I'm finally realizing that something about my nervous system is still a bit fragile. I'll go out, alone or with my husband, and shop or do whatever I needed to do and feel not horrible. Then I come home and bam, there it is. Another wave.

The wave calms down, usually in a day or two. I think I get overstimulated, and the wave is a consequence. I notice that if I go into a quiet room with my iPad, lay down and watch an easy show, I feel a bit better.

I don't think it's necessarily your home at all! It very well could be just a little nerve reverberation from the stimulus of being out of the house. At the same time, it's important for us to get out and about, do what we can and pat ourselves on the back. Baby steps. 

Good for you for getting out! I wonder if you had something to do the minute you walked in the door if that would wise your mind away to a better place and get you through that overstimulated place more easily. Just a thought!!

Warmly,

HCHC

I agree with you, it's just an out of whack cns. I was always comfortable out and about and at home. So now I just make myself accept this very uncomfortable state

• Like 1