Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Overnight switch from ativan to diazepam?

I'm finding it difficult with the psychiatrists. I'm currently on 3mg nightly. Met one doctor yday who prescribed diazepam 10mg in the AM and 20mg for PM. He said I can make the switch right away overnight. Would this be right?

Two months ago, I had a severe blackout one evening when my ativan wasn't available and that one evening, I took lorezepam. I do have access to medication,  that's not a problem. Ran out just that one evening. 

Also, I had a genome test done and Diazepam came up in the Caution list. The test report did not have other long lasting benzos mentioned on it.

Pls advise. I'm not going to make the switch until I understand this better.

Edited by [...]

I messaged him and he said I can get a liver function test done a week after I switch to diazepam.

I'm confused. I don't know what I should be doing. 

5 years ago I was in a Detox Center and they put me on one day from Lorazepam to Diazepam, No problem.

But thats only my experience!

• Like 1

[Ka...]

@[...] so sorry. You have other threads so I recall the situation you are in.

Personally, I have been direct swopped from lorazepam to diazepam.  30mg is the equivalent in terms of dose since 1mg ativan /lorazepam is 10mg diazepam.

However, you sensibly had a genome test & since that shows diazepam in caution list then I personally would definitely not try it. LFT to check liver function is a monitoring type test & it seems from that idea the doctor is just not listening. 
The ativan/lorazepam is no longer working for you or allowing sleep. The doctor needs to find a solution that suits you & that you can feel comfortable with. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Correction 10mg spelling
  • Like 1

[kn...]

I took Ativan for 30 years.  My prescriber switched me to Diazepam and I've been using it to taper for the last 2.5 years.  Liver function tests for me have been normal, but I can't generalize that to anyone else.  I use a medication interaction calculator I found on the internet to check for trouble ahead when I've messed with any meds in the past and it's been reliable.  You'll have to go with your own eval. on this.  Best of luck.  Make the right choice for you.

Posted (edited)

*deleting* posting in taper plans instead

Edited by [...]