Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Diazepam to Clonazepam Help!

Hy. 

i was at my doc today.

we want to go from Diazepam 30 mg to Clonazepam 6 mg.

how can I do it ?

i take 10 mg Diazepam in the morning, 10 in the evening and 10 for night.

thank you!

[Re...]

Hello @[...]

It is very good you have been to your doctor and he/she is willing to work with you.

May I ask why you are switching exacty to 6 mg clonazepam? Are you feeling very symptomatic on your current diazepam dose? Do you have /better/ experience with clonazepam than diazepam?

That is a pretty high dose. The 30 mg diazepam you have been taking, according to this equivalency table , should equal around 1,5 mg clonazepam.

In my opinion, diazepam would be easier for you in the long run, it is easier to taper. 

I hope others with experience about switching from diazepam will way in. I do not have this experience. I have heard about people who preferred clonazepam (... also shorter acting benzodiazepines).

Take care @[...]

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Hallo@[...]

Es ist sehr gut, dass Sie bei Ihrem Arzt waren und er/sie bereit ist, mit Ihnen zusammenzuarbeiten.

Darf ich fragen, warum Sie genau auf 6 mg Clonazepam umsteigen? Fühlen Sie sich bei Ihrer aktuellen Diazepam-Dosis sehr symptomatisch? Haben Sie bessere Erfahrungen mit Clonazepam als mit Diazepam?

Das ist eine ziemlich hohe Dosis. Die 30 mg Diazepam, die Sie eingenommen haben, sollten laut dieser Äquivalenztabelle etwa 1,5 mg Clonazepam entsprechen.

Meiner Meinung nach wäre Diazepam auf lange Sicht einfacher für Sie, es lässt sich leichter ausschleichen. 

Ich hoffe, dass andere, die Erfahrung mit der Umstellung von Diazepam haben, mitmachen. Ich habe diese Erfahrung nicht. Ich habe von Leuten gehört, die Clonazepam (...auch kürzer wirkende Benzodiazepine) bevorzugten.

Aufpassen@[...]

Hey ! :)

i never took clonazepam. He wanted me to get Higher in Diazepam and I Said no. Diazepam makes my Depression worse and does nothing for my fear.

plus clonazepam wont have this kommulation thing.

i am very symptomatic and it wont get better. Also clonazepam works longer (Diazepam only works 2 hours for me) and better for fears.

BIG PLUS when I reduce I will notice when I did it too fast. With Diazepam I notice it too late 

i Just don't know how to do it.

10 mg Diazepam 2 mg clonazepam 10 mg Diazepam for maybe two weeks?

Edited by [...]
Wrong answer

And there are many different opinions

Some say 0.5 is 10 mg Diazepam.

Some say 1 and some say 2

[Re...]

According to the table above (from the Ashton Manual), 10 mg diazepam should equal 0,5 mg clonazepam.

This table summarizes the pharmacokinetics of the 2 medications, so that you make a bit better informed decision. It is nothing lenghty.

@[...] You have been on clonazepam 30 mg only for few feeks, after updosing from 10 mg. Have you considered your doctors advice, or maybe letting a bit more time pass?

I heard often that updosing just needs time.

I, for example, have been symptomatic for many many months, but I eventually started to feel a bit better, and this is what others people experience, too. There seems to be a period when everyone, who did a  rapid taper / reduction / cessation needs to wait out, and eventually most of them recover. Even on the medication. 

If this is what you decided (and it seems like it) it is absolutely okay and we are all here for you, but I really don't have this experience. 

I hope others will reply to your topic very soon. :mybuddy:

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Laut Tabelle (aus dem Ashton-Handbuch) sollten 10 mg Diazepam 0,5 g mg Clonazepam entsprechen. Diese Tabelle fasst die Pharmakokinetik der beiden Medikamente zusammen, damit Sie eine etwas fundiertere Entscheidung treffen können. Es ist nichts Langes.

@[...] Sie haben Clonazepam 30 mg nur für kurze Zeit eingenommen, nachdem Sie die Dosis von 10 mg erhöht haben. Haben Sie den Rat Ihres Arztes berücksichtigt oder vielleicht etwas mehr Zeit verstreichen lassen?

Ich habe oft gehört, dass eine Hochsteckfrisur einfach Zeit braucht. Ich zum Beispiel habe seit vielen, vielen Monaten Symptome, aber irgendwann ging es mir etwas besser, und das erleben auch andere Menschen. Es scheint eine Zeit zu geben, in der jeder, der eine schnelle Entwöhnung/Reduktion/Absetzung vorgenommen hat, abwarten muss, und schließlich erholen sich die meisten von ihnen. Auch wegen der Medikamente. 

Wenn Sie sich so entschieden haben (und es scheint so), ist das absolut in Ordnung und wir sind alle für Sie da, aber ich habe diese Erfahrung wirklich nicht. 

Ich hoffe, dass andere sehr bald auf Ihr Thema antworten. :mein Kumpel:

Thank you ! I will Look at that.

Maybe I should try 1 mg and Not 2. I am confused.

I took 30 mg Diazepam for a few weeks and I don't think more time will do it.

Some things even get worse and I am nearly suicidal..

Why is clonazepam harder to taper?

Thank you for your help :*

[Re...]

Just to calm you, @[...], The Maudsley Depescribing Guidelines mentions a 0,5 mg clonazepam to 10 mg diazepam switch, but there is no hard rule and it may be individual. Just checked it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Li...]

Please do you due diligence before switching from diazepam to clonazepam @[...].  My understanding (which may or may no be correct - it’s based on statements by Ashton, Lauder, benzo coaches, and more recently an internationally known psychiatrist with extensive expertise in medication harms) is that the newer, more potent benzodiazepines like clonazepam and lorazepam are more difficult to taper than the older ones like diazepam.   Obtaining small enough doses to taper is also a concern because of clonazepam’s high potency.  If memory serves, you are in Germany.  Have you investigated what dosage forms of clonazepam are available? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Bitte führen Sie eine sorgfältige Prüfung durch, bevor Sie von Diazepam auf Clonazepam umsteigen@[...]. Mein Verständnis (das möglicherweise richtig ist oder auch nicht – es basiert auf Aussagen von Ashton, Lauder, Benzo-Trainern und in jüngerer Zeit einem international bekannten Psychiater mit umfassender Erfahrung in der Schädigung durch Medikamente) ist, dass die neueren, wirksameren Benzodiazepine wie Clonazepam und Lorazepam dies tun schwieriger zu reduzieren als die älteren wie Diazepam. Aufgrund der hohen Wirksamkeit von Clonazepam ist es ebenfalls problematisch, ausreichend kleine Dosen zum Ausschleichen zu erhalten. Wenn Sie sich erinnern, befinden Sie sich in Deutschland. Haben Sie untersucht, welche Dosierungsformen von Clonazepam verfügbar sind? 

Hey ! Thank you.

Yes, we got drops with 0.125 mg per drop.

So at some point I will have to find a pharmacist that can help me or put my dose in milk.

Diazepam really isnt working for me anymore. I got withdrawal 2 hours after I took it. My Depression gets worse and its doing nothing for my anxiety. And I really notice too late when I make a cut thats too big.

What would you do? 6 mg? 3mg? 1.5mg?

And which dose would you chose first? The evening?

[An...]
2 hours ago, [[R...] said:

Hello @[...]

It is very good you have been to your doctor and he/she is willing to work with you.

May I ask why you are switching exacty to 6 mg clonazepam? Are you feeling very symptomatic on your current diazepam dose? Do you have /better/ experience with clonazepam than diazepam?

That is a pretty high dose. The 30 mg diazepam you have been taking, according to this equivalency table , should equal around 1,5 mg clonazepam.

In my opinion, diazepam would be easier for you in the long run, it is easier to taper. 

I hope others with experience about switching from diazepam will way in. I do not have this experience. I have heard about people who preferred clonazepam (... also shorter acting benzodiazepines).

Take care @[...]

Ditto, I agree with what @[Re...] wrote to you. The  6 mgs of K would be a lot more from a benzo equivalency standpoint. You said the valium is not working anymore. Are you wanting to get off benzodiazepines via tapering or do you want to stay on them to manage your anxiety disorder? Benzos will do nothing to alleviate your depression. These meds are not anti-depressants. They depress the CNS.

1 minute ago, [[A...] said:

Ditto, I agree with what @[Re...] wrote to you. The  6 mgs of K would be a lot more from a benzo equivalency standpoint. You said the valium is not working anymore. Are you wanting to get off benzodiazepines via tapering or do you want to stay on them to manage your anxiety disorder? Benzos will do nothing to alleviate your depression. These meds are not anti-depressants. They depress the CNS.

I want to stabilize before I taper again.

And Diazepam def is making my Depression worse. It did over the years.

And I got interdose WD

[An...]

So @[...], you want to get off benzos and you were tapering the valium. Is this correct? How long have you been on Valium? Was it working b/f you became tolerant? What dose were you on before you began to taper it and how much are you currently on right now?

2 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Ich schaue nur nach … Ist Ihnen bewusst, dass der Entzug zwischen den Dosen bei Clonazepam aufgrund seiner deutlich kürzeren Halbwertszeit ein größeres Problem darstellt als bei Diazepam?

No, clonazepam works longer than Diazepam. I am not talking about the half life.

2 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Also@[...], du willst von den Benzos loskommen und hast das Valium ausgeschlichen. Ist das richtig? Wie lange nimmst du schon Valium? Hat es funktioniert, weil Sie tolerant geworden sind? Welche Dosis hatten Sie, bevor Sie mit dem Ausschleichen begonnen haben, und wie viel nehmen Sie derzeit ein?

Please take a look at my History 

Just now, [[L...] said:

Haben Sie eine Referenz/ein Zitat, das Sie zur Untermauerung dieser Behauptung weitergeben können? Es würde mich interessieren, es zu lesen.

Für andere Leser dieses Threads beträgt die Halbwertszeit von Diazepam und seinen aktiven Metaboliten etwa 100+ Stunden (einige Quellen geben 200 Stunden an). Die Halbwertszeit von Clonazepam beträgt etwa 30 bis 40 Stunden. (Die Halbwertszeit ist die Zeit, die es dauert, bis die Blutkonzentration eines Medikaments nach einer Einzeldosis auf die Hälfte seines Spitzenwerts abfällt. Diese Zeit kann von Person zu Person erheblich variieren.)

I found that here and on many Websites.

Don't get me wrong I know that Diazepam is longer, much longer in the Body.

But the effect is max 6 hours. 2 in my Situation. I seem to metabolize very fast.

Clonazepam can last to 12 hours.

I can try to find a Website for you when I got the time 

25 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Haben Sie eine Referenz/ein Zitat, das Sie zur Untermauerung dieser Behauptung weitergeben können? Es würde mich interessieren, es zu lesen.

Für andere Leser dieses Threads beträgt die Halbwertszeit von Diazepam und seinen aktiven Metaboliten etwa 100+ Stunden (einige Quellen geben 200 Stunden an). Die Halbwertszeit von Clonazepam beträgt etwa 30 bis 40 Stunden. (Die Halbwertszeit ist die Zeit, die es dauert, bis die Blutkonzentration eines Medikaments nach einer Einzeldosis auf die Hälfte seines Spitzenwerts abfällt. Diese Zeit kann von Person zu Person erheblich variieren.)

I looked on some german Sites. A lot of people feel a very short Like 2 to 6 hours from Diazepam because of tolerance.

Of course it stays in the blood much longer. You just don't feel it.

[ma...]

You must do something now to get relieve and stabilize later . Maybe another Benzo .I have terrible symptoms too now .Can it help to call ER .Be careful with yourself . I was like you a couple of years ago . I came in tolerance . Felt so desperat . My doctor updosed a while before tapering .:smitten:

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

You must do something now to get relieve and stabilize later . Maybe another Benzo .I have terrible symptoms too now .Can it help to call ER .Be careful with yourself . I was like you a couple of years ago . I came in tolerance . Felt so desperat . My doctor updosed a while before tapering .:smitten:

Thank you so, so much !

So you think it could work?

What do you take?

I am sorry you feel terrible too :'(