Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Linear vs Exponential Taper

[Le...]

So I'm now reading about linear taper vs exponential taper schedule. Is the latter better as in resulting in less withdrawal symptoms? Secondly, when do you stop pushing yourself to go to work and stay home and rest and recover?

Thank you for any advice.

[je...]

A linear taper means with each consecutive cut you make the exact same reduction. For example you will cut by 0.1mg every two weeks. 

Exponential taper means after every cut you use the new dose to calculate your percentage for the next cut. This means the amount you reduce by will theoretically decrease as you go lower. 

Why is this distinction important? If you decrease by a fixed amount (linear taper) your percentages will keep increasing as you go lower. This can become problematic because you might not be able to sustain the increased percentages. 

So yes, theoretically exponential is better for symptom management unless you keep a close eye on your linear cuts. 

• Love 1

[An...]
26 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

So I'm now reading about linear taper vs exponential taper schedule. Is the latter better as in resulting in less withdrawal symptoms? Secondly, when do you stop pushing yourself to go to work and stay home and rest and recover?

Thank you for any advice.

Hi. Can you afford to stay home, rest, and recover during your taper / recovery? If you can, I would do it. Any reduction in life stressors makes this process easier. What benzo are you on, how much, and how long? The Ashton protocol is an example of a variable linear type taper as you slowly crossover to valium. Some ppl do linear to a certain point. Then, they switch to exponential to really slow things down at the end. All these tapers should be based on how you are feeling as you taper. Some ppl are super sensitive to minute cuts. 

[Le...]

Hi thank you. I think I understand the exponential. I m not sure that I can afford to stay home for long whilst withdrawing. 

I'm on .43mg of rivotril now in March. I reduced from .55mg in September, 2023.

I started off at 2mg in 2021.

I suspect that I am sensitive to cuts and to stressors.

Thank you again!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Er...]

Hi,

I also can in no way stay home while withdrawing. I've gone from 0.75 to 0.5 and then gradually to 0.20 mg and am functioning more or less ok/fine so far. I am very sensitive to stressors as well. I suspect it may get more uncomfortable soon but I tell myself that it won't be forever and it won't kill me. I'm doing slow exponential reductions to make it as gradual as possible. I'm reducing every 2-4 weeks, depending on how I feel and what is going on for me. I would stay a bit flexible....for me this reduces the stress of the whole thing. 

[An...]
On 11/03/2024 at 21:03, [[L...] said:

Hi thank you. I think I understand the exponential. I m not sure that I can afford to stay home for long whilst withdrawing. 

I'm on .43mg of rivotril now in March. I reduced from .55mg in September, 2023.

I started off at 2mg in 2021.

I suspect that I am sensitive to cuts and to stressors.

Thank you again!

Kudos! From 2 mgs of K to .43 is considerable progress IMO. I take it you are currently still working also. How are you feeling overall ATM?

• Like 1

[Le...]

I feel very exhausted. When I get vacation from my teaching job I'll get a bit more energy. I have noticed that I easily get allergy symptoms and gerd.

Thank you again for the encouragement. This just seems like a never-ending episode sometimes.