Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cloneazapam withdrawal

[De...]

I'm hoping to find help here! I'm at a loss! I was prescribed cloneazapam not having a clue what the repercussions of this terrible drug would be! 

I was only on it for 3 months or so and stopped cold turkey not realizing what would happen when I did. Into the second week of dizziness and diarrhea and cold sweats, panic attacks and anxiety and having no clue as to why, I googled cloneazapam withdrawal and it all made perfect sense! I went to the hospital ( I'm in Canada without a family doctor, it's a crisis for so many) the ER doctor was very understanding. He put me back on them but at a lower dose because I had already been off of them for two weeks and gave me a weaning off period of one month. I new that wasn't long enough so I weaned myself off over two months by a quarter pill each time. This also required me to return to the hospital for a second script. A different doctor of course but equally understanding. He also prescribed me Trazodone to begin taking when the cloneazapam was done to alleviate withdrawal symptoms. I thought, oh great another drug! So I didn't take them. Fast forward to two weeks later (today) and I'm right back where I was including heart palpitations! 

My question is, should I take the Trazodone to help with the withdrawal symptoms (I realize I will also have to wean off these)? I did take one tonight but will immediately stop if it's not recommended. Is it to late for the Trazodone to help because it's been two weeks? Or should I return to the hospital for another and wean off the cloneazapam more slowly? 

I took Abilify, a few years back for quite sometime and weaned myself off of them over 6 months with no side effects. 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

[Co...]

Hello @[De...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

If you were to start taking Trazodone now, it would take at least 1-2 weeks for therapeutic effects to begin to kick in. And probably some more weeks before it takes full effect. (I believe it is similar timeframes for Abilify). This might weigh in your decision to start now. You might talk with a doctor or pharmacist about starting Trazadone now.

I've never taken an antidepressant, but many of our have taken or do take them. I expect others will be able to provide you with better feedback.

I have been taking trazodone for sleep since I started weaning off of clonazepam.  I have a history of insomnia (which is why I started clonazepam in the first place) thus my sleep has been pretty terrible in the withdrawal phase.  The trazodone helps me sleep.  I take 25-100 mg at night as needed, which is the off-label dose for insomnia.  This is the only medication I take.  I follow my physicians instructions on how to take the medication.  My understanding is the anti-depressant effect dose is higher and like most antidepressants they take time to work.  Caution with any antidepressant, they can make anxiety/depression/mood/SI worse in the initial few weeks.  I highly recommend finding a doctor (family med or psychiatrist) who can help you through this process.

Do I want to be on it?  No.  But I imagine without it my benzo withdrawal symptoms would be too difficult to manage without inpatient admission.  My hope is, once my benzo withdrawal passes, I can then wean off the trazodone.  Trazodone is reportedly not habit forming like benzos.  My hope is to be able to manage my mood/stress/insomnia/anxiety without medications, once the withdrawal ends.

[or...]

Just want to welcome both @[De...] and @[...] to BB,

I've found help here, in fact I could not have come as far as I have without my peers on this website.  You'll be hearing from others as well that know about your circumstances. I don't have any experience with either of the anti-depressants either but like Colin said, I too know others here are familiar with them :)

I just want to say how glad I am you've found BB, oregonlady sending hope & encouragement, :hug:

[Nu...]

Hi @[De...]. Welcome to the forums. Although I don't have an incredible amount of experience to draw from, my inferences from the literature is that using AD/APs are generally not helpful, although there is mixed success so that's not always the case. Some have success. Your mileage may vary.

I was put on seemingly every AD/AP in the book and had zero success with anything... with the exception of a very brief positive effect from amitriptyline (although the source of that positive effect is in question). It's hard to say not to take anything because you may have a positive outcome from it. Start low and go slow, as others have said. The best thing that one can do is manage the benzo withdrawal appropriately from the start.

You hear many stories, including my own, of physicians who cause a severe benzo withdrawal then polypharmacy the withdrawal symptoms and make things worse. That's the main thing to avoid, in my mind. Wishing you the best on your journey and continue to use these boards for the experience of the folks here.