Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Has anyone switched from lorazapam to diazapam and know the equivalent? Need help switching!

[ns...]

I'm trying to switch from lorazapam to diazapam/valium.

My current dose if lorazapam is 0.022mg 4x per day, will be 0.021 tomorrow 4x per day. 

The lorazapam has been making sick. Had a reaction to it and had to taper. 

It's been making me sick from the beginning of my taper. I cringe before every dose now, it revs up my symptoms so bad that I'm not functioning well now.

I'm down very low in my taper and need to understand the equivalent of valium.

If you have experience with switching over to diazapam or valium from lorazapam please chime in as I need help with this.

Or if you know the equivalent of valium to lorazepam please, I need some help before I contact my doctor tomorrow. 

Thanks so much 

Ns

[Li...]

@[ns...] For the purpose of substitution, Ashton used 1mg of lorazepam equals 10mg of diazepam.  See link below.

To determine the equivalent for the dose you are currently taking per Ashton, multiply your current total daily dose of lorazepam by 10.

In the US, the lowest strength diazepam tablet is 2mg.  Assuming that the numbers you’ve provided above are milligrams of active ingredient and not pill weight, your total daily dose will be less than 1/2 of a 2mg tablet.  You might consider asking your doctor if they would be willing to prescribe the 5mg/5mL (1mg/1mL) oral diazepam solution (see link below).

Benzodiazepine Equivalence Table
https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

DailyMed - DIAZEPAM solution
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=9e85abed-1a8b-4762-a31f-f2c7f196b8af

• Like 1

[ns...]
20 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

@[ns...] For the purpose of substitution, Ashton used 1mg of lorazepam equals 10mg of diazepam.  See link below.

To determine the equivalent for the dose you are currently taking per Ashton, multiply your current total daily dose of lorazepam by 10.

In the US, the lowest strength diazepam tablet is 2mg.  Assuming that the numbers you’ve provided above are milligrams of active ingredient and not pill weight, your total daily dose will be less than 1/2 of a 2mg tablet.  You might consider asking your doctor if they would be willing to prescribe the 5mg/5mL (1mg/1mL) oral diazepam solution (see link below).

Benzodiazepine Equivalence Table
https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

DailyMed - DIAZEPAM solution
https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=9e85abed-1a8b-4762-a31f-f2c7f196b8af

Thank u Libertas, yes I found this online.

I appreciate the link you've provided. 

Winters sun assisted me with pill weight and active ingredient so I'm ok there. 

Did u mean My Total daily dose would be less than one half of 2mg diazapam? My current dose of lorazepam is 0.022 4x per day. Is this still correct?  your taking into account active ingredients correct? So under 1mg diazapam per day correct? I would split this into 2 or 3 doses per day then.

If I'm understanding you please let me know.

I don't think I'll be able to get a liquid from my doctor, we have a compounding pharmacy here so if he gives them to me I'll ck into it.

Thank u for responding, I'm in a very bad way right now and need to decide what will be the best way forward. 

I'm so far down in my taper, I need to decide if Im ready to switch in mid stream and start again with diazapam. I'll speak with my doctor about this of course. 

So thank u again for responding, I'm grateful!

Hope your taper is going well!

Ns

[ns...]
29 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Thank u Libertas, yes I found this online.

I appreciate the link you've provided. 

Winters sun assisted me with pill weight and active ingredient so I'm ok there. 

Did u mean My Total daily dose would be less than one half of 2mg diazapam? My current dose of lorazepam is 0.022 4x per day. Is this still correct?  your taking into account active ingredients correct? So under 1mg diazapam per day correct? I would split this into 2 or 3 doses per day then.

If I'm understanding you please let me know.

I don't think I'll be able to get a liquid from my doctor, we have a compounding pharmacy here so if he gives them to me I'll ck into it.

Thank u for responding, I'm in a very bad way right now and need to decide what will be the best way forward. 

I'm so far down in my taper, I need to decide if Im ready to switch in mid stream and start again with diazapam. I'll speak with my doctor about this of course. 

So thank u again for responding, I'm grateful!

Hope your taper is going well!

Ns

Hi Libertas, looks like the oral diazepam is a no. Wintergreen spice! I can't tolerate any mint, but it was a good thought. 

As for the tabs, just need to be clear;

Under 1 mg diazapam per day, is closely equal to my current 0.022 4x per day. On the scale each dose weighs 0.022.

10 1mg Lorazepam tabs weigh 1.210

Each tab weighs 0.123, 0.121, 0.122, so average 0.122

These are 5mg diazapam...

10 5mg Diazapam tabs weigh 1.699

Each tab weighs 0.167, 0.172, 0.166

So average 0.168

So now I need help with this because these are 5mg diazapam. 

If u can tell me what my dose would be per day, I would appreciate it very much.

If not, I can wait for someone who's dealt with lorazapam 1mg tabs switch to 5mg diazapam. I am no good with math as I'm sure you've guessed by now.

Thanks again 

Ns

[Li...]

@[ns...]

Given that you cannot tolerate wintergreen (the other manufacturer uses peppermint so I’m guessing that’s off the table as well) …

In your shoes, I would find and vet a compounding pharmacist who has the expertise and equipment to prepare a low-concentration diazepam liquid that does not contain any problematic ingredients.

I do not have experience with pill-shaving so will defer to other members who do.

I hope other members will also comment on the likelihood of obtaining sufficiently small, accurate, consistent doses by shaving and weighing a 5mg tablet.

• Like 1

[ns...]
Just now, [[L...] said:

@[ns...]

Given that you cannot tolerate wintergreen (the other manufacturer uses peppermint so I’m guessing that’s off the table as well) …

In your shoes, I would find and vet a compounding pharmacists who has the expertise and equipment to prepare a low-concentration diazepam liquid that does not contain any problematic ingredients.

I do not have experience with pill-shaving so will defer to other members who do.

I hope other members will also comment on the likelihood of obtaining sufficiently small, accurate, consistent doses by shaving and weighing a 5mg tablet.

Thanks Libertas 😊