Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Diazepam taper help please.

[Za...]

Hi everyone, hope you are well. Need advice

Been using diazepam since 2018 on and off until Dec 2022, sometimes staying off for at least 4 months.

However since Dec 2022 to Jan 2024 I used 10mg everyday. I then decided to taper, did the whole of Feb and jump when I got to 2mg at on the 2nd march. Previously i never had many withdrawal symptoms, however this time round I got my ass kicked. After 4 days stopping I got really bad withdrawal sweating, stiff muscles, depolarisation. Weak legs. Everything hurts

I'm seeing the Dr tomorrow, do I ask to up my dose and start over again or just plough on and see how I get on. I don't want to go on if I going to cause more damage. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

[Ka...]

Hello @[Za...] sorry you have these problems post jump.
My inclination would be to consider reinstating diazepam at the dose you jumped 2mg. The objective would be to achieve stabilisation of the withdrawal symptoms &, once settled, then to follow a slow taper plan that allows your system to adapt to incremental reduction. 
I hope this helps & others may offer advice. Wishing you better. 

• Like 1

[An...]

If this were me, I would probably also reinstate at 2 mgs, perhaps slightly higher if you can't stabilize at 2 mgs and then start a slow taper as you down dose.

• Like 1

[Za...]
7 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I did but it wasn't the best did my best to stay on a:dose but did go up a few times but then settled at 2mg for about 2 weeks I think..then jumped.

[or...]

@[Za...] conventional wisdom holds that when you're in trouble, as you are, that you return to the last dose at which you were comfortable, hold until you feel more or less okay, then begin a taper. I've seen plenty situations like this in my years on here . . . doing as I describe usually works. Sometimes you need to go a bit higher, but if I were you, I'd go back/up to 2mgs and see how things work out. Be patient, and good luck.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

[je...]

If you tapered your entire dose in 4 weeks that is a very rapid taper. It’s not a surprise that you are struggling. If it were me I would go back up to 5mg. I don’t think 2mg will be enough to counter the big cuts and make you comfortable. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Za...]

Thanks for all the advice it is much appreciated and I will take it on board!! :classic_smile:

[kn...]

My taper started at a 60mg of diazepam and I worked my way down to 2mg just as you did.  However when I hit 2, I held for 5 months trying to stabilize before going any lower.  It never happened. I was advised here on site to up dose and then taper back down at 5% at a time.  Up dosing to 4 has straightened me out to the point where I can function somewhat.  I've ordered a scale (as per @[El...]'s advice) and it should arrive soon.  Again, I received valid advice and help on how to do all of it.  Everyone here will tell you that 'when you go low, go slow'.  Jumping from 2mg may wind up landing you in the ER.  My opinion is just that, follow the advice of @[An...] and try it again.  I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up having to reinstate to even 2.5 or higher before you feel better. I took benzo's for 30 years before I starting my taper, so my situation cannot mirror your's exactly.  Best wishes with all of this. 

Edited by [kn...]
  • Like 1

[An...]
11 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

If you tapered your entire dose in 4 weeks that is a very rapid taper. It’s not a surprise that you are struggling. If it were me I would go back up to 5mg. I don’t think 2mg will be enough to counter the big cuts and make you comfortable. 

I was also thinking along the same lines as @[je...].

• Like 1

[Ka...]

@[Za...]  Just another bit of advice I would take your dose twice say 1mg morning & 1mg evening. Good luck!

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1

[je...]

@[Za...] I’m a bit confused about your taper history. In this post from November last year you said you were down to 1.5mg. Did you updose again after that?

On 27/11/2023 at 23:13, [[Z...] said:

HI Pamster

Thank you for the reply, I have been on 10mg V for the last 6/7 months, I then tapered down to 5mg with no issues and kept it there for a month and then down to 2.5mg for 4 weeks no issues and then 1.5mg, which I was planning to do for 4 weeks and then drop again. Yes I know very silly to take so much again, my anxiety is ok but know if that is just due to the long acting ability of V but dont really want to start the taper over again, if I can I just want to start back at 1.5mg but I dont want to do some neurological damage jumping up and down the dose. I do take escitalopram as well 10mg, which might help. any other suggestion what could help.

Thank you very much.

• Like 1

[Za...]

Yep, I was doing good as well. A got close a few times but then blew it and then went up again. 

I hopeful this be last because I've not felt this bad before....

[je...]
3 minutes ago, [[Z...] said:

Yep, I was doing good as well. A got close a few times but then blew it and then went up again. 

I hopeful this be last because I've not felt this bad before....

We need to know your full taper history in order to give you proper advice. The fact that three months ago you were down to 1.5mg, then went up (we don’t know how you went up) then went down again is really important. 

Please can you give us a detailed breakdown of your taper history for 2023-2024 with dates and doses you took. 

[Za...]

Hi I can't remember to be fair, I'll check if I noted it but I'm a bit all over at the moment to think straight sorry!

[je...]
2 minutes ago, [[Z...] said:

Hi I can't remember to be fair, I'll check if I noted it but I'm a bit all over at the moment to think straight sorry!

It is quite important to keep a daily taper journal where you list all meds, doses, time of meds, supplements etc. You also need to track your symptoms daily. This is the best way to determine what might be causing symptoms and where you’re going wrong in your taper. 

• Like 2

[Za...]

Will do, last but not least, I feel a bit worried that I've done irreversible damage to something and will never feel like myself again. Anyone who had a success coming from a really bad place to be good again. I have a family that I don't want to let down...

• Like 1

[Za...]

Hi guys just seen my Doc and we have a plan, I'm going onto 10mg to get me stable. She said most likely for 2 weeks( longer if needed). Then we going to do slow taper, hopefully over 6 month period. Fingers crossed. Any more advice will be appreciated. Thanks for all your help

[Ka...]

Hello @[Za...] that’s good. I would suggest taking recommended 10mg - 5mg x twice per day. 

Hopefully reinstating will get you stable. Notice how you feel & jot it down. Watch how you are, & once ready, taper slow & steady at a safe pace that suits you. Glad you have a plan now. 

• Like 1

[An...]
6 hours ago, [[Z...] said:

Hi guys just seen my Doc and we have a plan, I'm going onto 10mg to get me stable. She said most likely for 2 weeks( longer if needed). Then we going to do slow taper, hopefully over 6 month period. Fingers crossed. Any more advice will be appreciated. Thanks for all your help

Sounds like a plan @[Za...]. Have you gotten the Rx for the 10 mgs yet? If yes, have you taken any yet?

[Za...]

Yes, I took 10mg, i felt better but it didnt last much circa 6 hours and then i started gwtting the sweats again, I think I was to far from my last dose. I did say to her I might have to take more on the first night if required ie. 15mg, she was OK with that to get back on track and then. Then will do 5 in morning and 5 at night.  I have another appointment with her on Friday this week, well then know how I feel and if we proceed with 10 for a couple more weeks and then go down slow.

Was thinking 

9mg  2 weeks
8mg 2 weeks
7mg 2 weeks
6mg 2 weeks
5mg 2 weeks
4mg 2 weeks
4.5 2 weeks
4 2 weeks
3.5 2 weeks
3 2 weeks
2.5 2 weeks
2 2 weeks
1.5 2 weeks
1 2 weeks
.5 2 weeks

sounds OK? That is 30 weeks all together?