Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Magnesium in recovery

[Ma...]

Is there a reason, consensus, trend why some can handle it while others can’t?

Does it a certain receptor or have some CNS correlation…? Or…

And I believe I read Vit D is contraindicated during w/d on BIC. Anyone know why?

Those anti-supp, got it!

Thanks guys,

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

Hi Mary1,  IDK if this helps you since I don’t have heightened sensitivity to magnesium but use it to help with sleep, muscle cramps and constipation. I started using it when the sweats were out of control - apparently we sweat it out.  Dark leafy green veggies are a good source if your stomach is okay with them.  Btw I’m tapering K after 20yrs on.  

• Like 2

[Th...]

I was nervous to try magnesium at first, actually I am nervous of anything that might set me back. I'm almost at the 3 month mark since my last dose. I only take about 50mg and at bedtime only. (Too much magnesium can make you dizzy). I've noticed a huge improvement in my sleeping, gets me to REM depth, a place  haven't been in years. I don't notice any negative effects so I am continuing with it. 

[Br...]
15 hours ago, [[M...] said:

And I believe I read Vit D is contraindicated during w/d on BIC. Anyone know why?

This is what it says about Vit D on BIC.  I read it as meaning some people have an intolerance to Vit D during withdrawal and some people report deficiencies, not that Vit D should be avoided by everyone during withdrawal:

"Vitamin D deficiencies and supplement intolerance are both frequently reported in benzodiazepine patient support groups."

I don't know the answer to your question about magnesium.  Personally I couldn't tolerate taking it because of its effect on my digestive system. There's debate about whether magnesium can be absorbed through the skin, but I found very warm baths with Epsom salts extremely helpful.

• Like 3

[Id...]
19 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Does it a certain receptor or have some CNS correlation…? Or…

Hi, benzoinfo advice against it because it binds to gaba receptors. They have a link about it 

[Br...]
3 hours ago, [[I...] said:

Hi, benzoinfo advice against it because it binds to gaba receptors. They have a link about it 

Hi @[Id...] - could you please provide a link to where BIC says they advise against the use of magnesium?  Thanks

[Id...]

Hi @[Br...], yes of course, sorry I didn’t see it sooner:

https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/#magnesium

“Medications And Supplements Of Concern On Benzodiazepines, During Cessation And After Withdrawal…

Potentially Dangerous Substances List

The following is a list of supplements, medications, etc. which one may wish to avoid during a taper, benzodiazepine cessation, during protracted withdrawal and even after healing, due to the potential for interference with recovery. The list is not all-inclusive. The lists are solely provided for information purposes and not medical advice…

Magnesium

This mineral binds to GABA receptors.”

This is the link the site provides:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18799816/

If I missed something, like it’s probable, please correct me.

That being said I caved in to try it for myself because I don’t have a way to have it from diet and the supposed symptoms of deficiency list had a lot in common with my symptoms. Unfortunately I am in a physical state that I can’t judge if it made a difference and I stopped when I saw this info.

Have a good day :)

• Like 2

[Ta...]

I take Epsom salt baths (not every day) and feel good and relaxed afterward, but oral magnesium supplements rev me up something fierce!

Vitamin D taken orally also makes me miserable! But lying in the sun increases vitamin D in the body, as well as dopamine. If I'm having a miserable day, sunbathing always makes me feel better.

Also, placing culinary mushrooms out in the sun increases their vitamin D content, so if you like mushrooms, this is a way to get extra D.

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Thanks, guys! I took Vit D last week & my entire system blew up 🤦‍♀️.

I plan on getting a wicked tan this summer!!

[Bl...]

I’m testing bottom of the range Vitamin D . Prescription dose Vitamin D and living in 300 days of sunshine a year , and always being outdoors has not improved my level . 
Doctor scratches head . 
Benzo’s strip you of vitamin D3 . 
I’m  hoping tapering and being out in the sun brings it back up from below the bottom of the range . 
Did any of you folks take magnesium ON Benzo’s ? Were you fine then on Mag ? 

• 2 weeks later...
[OD...]

Both Vitamin D and Magnesium now give me horrific mood swings, irritability, anger etc.

I've tried going as low as 100iu with a liquid Vitamin D for children, and as low as 20mg of Magnesium (1/4 of a Calm gummy) and same results. Before beginning my taper I used to supplement 5000iu of D and 400mg of Mag daily no problem.

The Magnesium itself I find more confusing, as I don't believe it should have a stimulating effect in any way. But it does.

[wi...]
3 hours ago, [[O...] said:

Both Vitamin D and Magnesium now give me horrific mood swings, irritability, anger etc.

I've tried going as low as 100iu with a liquid Vitamin D for children, and as low as 20mg of Magnesium (1/4 of a Calm gummy) and same results. Before beginning my taper I used to supplement 5000iu of D and 400mg of Mag daily no problem.

The Magnesium itself I find more confusing, as I don't believe it should have a stimulating effect in any way. But it does.

Same exact thing happens for me. Even when I have taken small amounts in the morning, I am so anxious and stimulated that I get zero sleep at night, and I only get 2-3 hours as it is.

Edited by [wi...]

[dj...]

Magnesium makes me feel awful.  I’ve tried it multiple times and same reaction every time.  

As for Vitamin D, it’s a neurosteroid and can simply be too activating in some people at the OTC doses.  I found a 400 iu capsule at Vitamin Shoppe and that is a lot more tolerable than the 1,000 or 2,500 iu capsules you typically find. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]

I tried D3 last week and every cell went supersonic for 48 hours. I think I’m still recovering…

Neurosteroid? Who knew 🤦‍♀️

[Bu...]

I've taken vit. d at 5,000-10,000 iu a day for over 10 years, because my level was at 9.  Now it is around 50.  This was while I was on benzos.  I didn't change it during my taper or since.  I have no idea if it's causing any issues, but I figure at this point I might as well leave it alone.

I need to get it checked though, to see if anything has changed since being off.  I would imagine that the benzo may have been causing the original deficiency.