Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Grief during withdrawal.

[Fl...]

I’m dealing with grief right now and if I cry or get upset my chest hurts and gets tight. I feel pain in my throat and stomach as well. I did not have this problem prior to the benzo use, but it scares me and I worry there is something really wrong with me. I hope it’s just withdrawals. 

[wi...]

@[Fl...]

Please try not to worry. That chest pain and constriction is something that many of us have felt and breathing issues too.

when experiencing grief our sensitive nervous system gets very overwhelmed, especially in the respiratory area. 
You will probably find it will come and go, as a matter of fact mine is a little active right now.

Was sure I had a heart problem and got it checked and there was nothing wrong. My bp and pulse elevate when it happens, but it eventually passes. 

sending you lots of love and good vibes ❤️

• Love 1

[Br...]

@[Fl...] I'm so sorry your experiencing grief while in withdrawal.  I dealt with grief while I was in withdrawal.  The turbulent emotions and sadness together with withdrawal symptoms are really rough.  Like you I had a tight chest, to the point it was hard to get a good deep breath.  Benzos are very effective muscle relaxers and when we're in benzo withdrawal our muscles often react strongly by tightening up painfully. 

As you heal from both your loss and benzos your symptoms will ease up.  I hope you'll try to take the best gentle care of yourself you can as you deal with these two challenges.  

• Like 1

[Ta...]

I am going thru grief right now, too, and still tapering. I have been just stuffing it down and have not been asking for help. I'm so glad that you are publicly acknowledging this deepest of sorrows. This helps me want to reach out, as well. In two days it will be the 20 year anniversary of my husband's death. A few weeks ago, a long time friend died of colon cancer. I went to visit him a few times, but he was miserable, angry, and abusive, so I didn't see him again after that. Shortly thereafter, I read his obituary. I sometimes wonder if I could have done more, and I feel guilty.

Please, dear Flower, take care of yourself. Cry if you can. Listen to soft music. Eat soft things like creamed soups,mashed potatoes and maybe pudding. Be soft, soothing and gentle to yourself.

• Like 1

[Fl...]

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. I hope we can all heal and process our grief. 

• Like 2