Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Simplify your method and be patient

[Ma...]

I just wanted to share a little mini success story and what has helped me.  I was someone who was convinced I would be off these drugs after just a couple weeks, even after lurking here for a long time and seeing how hard many have it.  I started cutting in July last year and realized after just a couple weeks that wasn’t going to work.  Nevertheless, while I slowed down, I was stubborn about continuing to cut.  I went from 1.0 mg Clonazepam to .375 in about 3 1/2 months - it did not go well.  I had to reinstate to 0.5 and held there for over two months before finally feeling stable enough to make a cut again.  And I actually felt way better after this long hold, better than I had when I started tapering (so to those who don’t think a long hold can help, for me anyways it did).  
    So since early February, instead of trying to make cut after cut again, I basically make a rule that I would do a 5% cut of my current dose every 7-10 days ONLY if my symptoms are still pretty mild.  If they aren’t, I just stay on whatever my last dose was for an additional 7-10 days.  Simple as that.  I’ve gone from .5 to .42 in the last 5-6 weeks which I would have said was way too slow last July.  Now I look at that and think:  Progress! I think the biggest lesson I’ve had to learn is not to think ahead about how long it’s going to take.  Just find a plan/rate that you can handle and don’t be afraid to change/slow down/hold.  
    Most of all, don’t spend a ton of time thinking about it, including getting on benzo sites.  There are great people on here helping others, but unless you’re dealing with a very specific issue, it can be very stressful/anxiety producing to spend too much time on here.  Get out and live your life as best you can and remember tomorrow is always gonna be a new day. 

Edited by [Ma...]
Typo
  • Like 4

[Ta...]

Wow! This is such practical, good advice! I started tapering off of trazedone, Effexor and Ativan in April of 2020. I got down to .125 of Ativan last year, then dropped to .1125, and it didn't go well, to say the least. I updosed to .375, and I've been sitting here for a few months. I think that I tapered too fast all along, and I've been holding to "catch up." This would have seemed like a great tragedy to me before, but now, I see it as progress.

Being stressed is really the most detrimental thing in this whole process. And constantly reading about other people's Benzo misery only makes ME miserable. I like to help if I can, but if someone's story triggers me I just move on. I got extremely stressed yesterday, and went into a Benzo "thunderstorm" last night. I was trembling and felt jolts of electricity all over my body. I hadn't been that intensely in acute w/d in over two years! It was so scary! But, I keep a little 3x5 card with me that lists all the things that help me, and I got out of the storm. It took a few hours, but I made it out.