Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Gabapentin use detrimental?

[Cy...]

I am tapering off of Clonazepam, which I have was prescribed for me in 2020.  I know now (I didn't then) that I started suffering tolerance withdrawals in the fall of 2021. The anxiety became intolerable. In early 2022, my psychiatrist added gabapentin to use as a mood stabilizer. I was pushed hard to try it, and give it time to make a difference. I couldn't handle the combination  of the lowest dose of gabapentin capsules (100 mg) on top of the clonazepam. He switched me to the liquid solution and I landed on approximately 25 mg AM and PM.  (Less than a child's dose) It did help take the edge off.  However, I hated the med, I became zombie-like and brain fog and lack of functionality have been horrible. He insisted I stay on it, as he had no other options to offer me. I knew fairly soon after starting the gabapentin that I had become physically dependent.

Fast forward to 2 months ago. I started a clonazepam taper with a different psychiatrist. It was never discussed if I should consider tapering the gabapentin first. Just "start making cuts to your clonazepam".  I started the taper suffering with tolerance withdrawals, so anxiety is still significant.

I question if I should consider stopping the clonazepam taper to taper the gabapentin first? The dose is tiny (average dose starts at 300 mg per day and goes up into the thousands of mgs) however, it has a very bad effect on me. I am reactive to the fillers in the solution, and the slightest reduction in dose seems to creates severe WD. Maybe that's due to using both meds? I also wonder, because of it's affects on the gaba receptors, if it will prolong my ability to heal. 

I am currently on approximately .25 mg Clonazepam and 25 mg gabapentin (via liquid drops) at bedtime and .125 mg clonazepam and almost 30 mg gabapentin in the AM.  I am additionally on 50 mg zoloft.

Appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you!

[ns...]
11 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I am tapering off of Clonazepam, which I have was prescribed for me in 2020.  I know now (I didn't then) that I started suffering tolerance withdrawals in the fall of 2021. The anxiety became intolerable. In early 2022, my psychiatrist added gabapentin to use as a mood stabilizer. I was pushed hard to try it, and give it time to make a difference. I couldn't handle the combination  of the lowest dose of gabapentin capsules (100 mg) on top of the clonazepam. He switched me to the liquid solution and I landed on approximately 25 mg AM and PM.  (Less than a child's dose) It did help take the edge off.  However, I hated the med, I became zombie-like and brain fog and lack of functionality have been horrible. He insisted I stay on it, as he had no other options to offer me. I knew fairly soon after starting the gabapentin that I had become physically dependent.

Fast forward to 2 months ago. I started a clonazepam taper with a different psychiatrist. It was never discussed if I should consider tapering the gabapentin first. Just "start making cuts to your clonazepam".  I started the taper suffering with tolerance withdrawals, so anxiety is still significant.

I question if I should consider stopping the clonazepam taper to taper the gabapentin first? The dose is tiny (average dose starts at 300 mg per day and goes up into the thousands of mgs) however, it has a very bad effect on me. I am reactive to the fillers in the solution, and the slightest reduction in dose seems to creates severe WD. Maybe that's due to using both meds? I also wonder, because of it's affects on the gaba receptors, if it will prolong my ability to heal. 

I am currently on approximately .25 mg Clonazepam and 25 mg gabapentin (via liquid drops) at bedtime and .125 mg clonazepam and almost 30 mg gabapentin in the AM.  I am additionally on 50 mg zoloft.

Ho Cyndi, sorry your going thru this.

How long have you been on the Gabapentin? I'm confused about the mg of Gabapentin you're taking. You mention liquid but then 300mg capsules. 

If you're on a low dose of Gabapentin It should be fairly easy to taper off.

I was on 300mg x3x per day,  but only off and on for yrs and slowly tapered off.

Later During my first withdrawal I eent back on them and took 300 mg 3x per day for a short period of time but slowly tapered again by cutting down each dose. 300, 200 100mg to 50, to 25mg then done. I had already tapered off of benzos by then though. 

Maybe the combination of Gabapentin and the benzo is making it more difficult. I would definitely talk to my doctor for a taper schedule because it is a liquid even though it's a small dose if u believe it's whats causing your symptoms. 

Personally I wouldn't taper both at the same time. Both affect gaba and I'm sure you will feel it.

Perhaps someone here can assist with your questions regarding the benzo hold until you are stable from tapering Gabapentin.

I hope it goes well for you

Please talk to your doctor about the liquid Gabapentin and a taper schedule ok

Take care 

Ns

[Cy...]

Hi @[ns...]

I am on a miniscule amount of gabapentin compared to the "average" dose which you were on.  It is a liquid solution because it was the only way to get the lowered dosage since the lowest dose in capsule form is 100 mg.  I take 25 mg at night and 30 mg in the morning.  It affects me badly, and probably does have something to do with the combo of the two meds together; I am very sensitive.  I am also allergic to the inactive ingredients in the solution.  Even such a small dose totally messes with my cognition and functionality.

Anyway, since you used gabapentin during your benzo taper, did you feel it had any effect on your ability for the gaba receptors to heal from the benzos?

Thank you!

[Cy...]
On 07/03/2024 at 15:25, [[n...] said:

I was on 300mg x3x per day,  but only off and on for yrs and slowly tapered off.

Later During my first withdrawal I eent back on them and took 300 mg 3x per day for a short period of time but slowly tapered again by cutting down each dose. 300, 200 100mg to 50, to 25mg then done. I had already tapered off of benzos by then though. 

@[ns...]

How long did it take you to taper off the gabapentin and what kind of WD symptoms did you have?

Thank you!

[Ta...]
On 07/03/2024 at 00:48, [[C...] said:

I question if I should consider stopping the clonazepam taper to taper the gabapentin first? The dose is tiny (average dose starts at 300 mg per day and goes up into the thousands of mgs) however, it has a very bad effect on me. I am reactive to the fillers in the  and the slightest reduction in dose seems to creates severe WD. Maybe that's due to using both meds? I also wonder, because of it's affects on the gaba receptors, if it will prolong my ability to heal. 

I too am extremely sensitive to the fillers and capsule of gabapentin. I have used the 100 mg during times of crisis, and it really has helped me, but it is too tempting to take it, an the results are definitely a mixed bag. It takes away the buzzing/stinging bumble bees under the skin, but the fillers and capsule give me an all over malaise and nausea. And for me, it's extremely addictive. The withdrawal is brutal!

[Pa...]

@[Cy...]

I am not on gabapentin, but I am on Lyrica, as well as Klonopin. Lyrica is similar to gabapentin, but stronger. I am tapering the Klonopin first.

I don’t know how much you’ve tapered off your Clomzapam, or how far into your taper you are. Are you keeping your taper within the Ashton guidelines tapering no more than 5 to 10% every 2 to 4 weeks?

If you’ve just started tapering clonzap and haven’t reduced that much, you could consider holding your dose and tapering off Gabapentin. The risk of holding the clonzapam dose is potential tolerance. You are on such a low dose of GABA I don’t know how much you feel it’s helping with your taper? 

You ask a really good question about healing if you’re off one of these medications, but not off of the other. I’m sorry I don’t know the answer to this.  I’m still tapering K . I am only about 40% tapered on the klonopin going very slowly.

I think being poly drugged can make it more difficult to taper. Not for everybody but I feel it has for me. That’s because as you’re tapering one drug you’re pulling away from the other. They potentiate one another. That doesn’t mean you should taper both at the same time - it’s just understanding why the symptoms may feel more severe.

I was very sensitive to the the generic form of Lyrica, which is pregabalin. It was terrible, and it destabilized my K withdrawal. I had to go back to brand-name L which is extremely expensive. But where I’m well into my Klonopin taper I’m hesitant to pause. 

I don’t know if you’re on Facebook but there’s a good pregabalin/gabapentin group called “Lyrica Survivors Pregabalin and Gabapentin support” that may be able to help assist you with tapering from gabapentin. 

I’m sorry you find yourself in this situation as well. 

p

Edited by [Pa...]

[Cy...]
17 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I too am extremely sensitive to the fillers and capsule of gabapentin. I have used the 100 mg during times of crisis, and it really has helped me, but it is too tempting to take it, an the results are definitely a mixed bag. It takes away the buzzing/stinging bumble bees under the skin, but the fillers and capsule give me an all over malaise and nausea. And for me, it's extremely addictive. The withdrawal is brutal!

Hi @[Ta...].  I definitely don't have any desire to take the Gabapentin!  Hate this med. Wish I could just stop taking it, it makes me feel so awful.  I don't start feeling normal until the morning dose wears off, even though it is such a small dose.

How brutal is it....what kind of symptoms did you have?  I feel like it's going to be bad and that's part of the reason I haven't done this yet...

[Cy...]
25 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I am not on gabapentin, but I am on Lyrica, as well as Klonopin. Lyrica is similar to gabapentin, but stronger. I am tapering the Klonopin first.

I don’t know how much you’ve tapered off your Clomzapam, or how far into your taper you are. Are you keeping your taper within the Ashton guidelines tapering no more than 5 to 10% every 2 to 4 weeks?

If you’ve just started tapering clonzap and haven’t reduced that much, you could consider holding your dose and tapering off Gabapentin. The risk of holding the clonzapam dose is potential tolerance. You are on such a low dose of GABA I don’t know how much you feel it’s helping with your taper? 

You ask a really good question about healing if you’re off one of these medications, but not off of the other. I’m sorry I don’t know the answer to this.  I’m still tapering K . I am only about 40% tapered on the klonopin going very slowly.

I think being poly drugged can make it more difficult to taper. Not for everybody but I feel it has for me. That’s because as you’re tapering one drug you’re pulling away from the other. They potentiate one another. That doesn’t mean you should taper both at the same time - it’s just understanding why the symptoms may feel more severe.

I was very sensitive to the the generic form of Lyrica, which is pregabalin. It was terrible, and it destabilized my K withdrawal. I had to go back to brand-name L which is extremely expensive. But where I’m well into my Klonopin taper I’m hesitant to pause. 

I don’t know if you’re on Facebook but there’s a good pregabalin/gabapentin group called “Lyrica Survivors Pregabalin and Gabapentin support” that may be able to help assist you with tapering from gabapentin. 

I’m sorry you find yourself in this situation as well. 

Thanks @[Pa...]

I've been tapering K for about 2 months. Started too fast, as my psych didn't give me any guidelines. Now at 5% every 2 weeks if it goes as planned.  My plan was to taper the K first. However, I am thinking about holding the K taper to get rid of the gaba. I think it hinders me as much as it may help me, although I been considering keeping the nighttime dose to help with sleep.  Oddly though, last night the gaba nighttime dose revved me up.  Like you, I am sensitive to meds and the differences in formulations.  I am allergic to the flavoring and sweeteners in the oral solution, certain brands worse than others.  That has a big impact on how I feel.

I didn't know that about poly drugs. That explains a few things!

I will check out the facebook group.

Thank you!

• Like 1

[Pa...]
46 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

Oddly though, last night the gaba nighttime dose revved me up. 

This happened to me as well on generics. I was starting to think the alcohol in the generic could be causing it. Or just tolerance.  But I really don’t know. 

Keeping one dose of GABA, esp if you are already dependent, could be risky because of its short half life of 5-7hrs. Especially if you are on a low-doses,  you may run into issues with interdose withdrawal. It’s supposed to be dosed, I believe, at least twice a day. I think if you decide to tackle the gabapentin first, it may be best gradually reduce both doses at the same time.

The same guidelines that apply to tapering benzodiazepines also apply to tapering gabapentin (Ashton). Dr. Mark Horowitz has a book called the Deprescribing Guidelines that’s also helpful. 

Wishing you well with your tapers.

p

Edited by [Pa...]