Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Question about using natural supplements

[Jo...]

Ok so during my taper I was using alot of herbal supplements. Three months out I have cut out some of them but i still drink chamomille tea and take Natures sunshine herbal sleep which has Valerian root in it. I also take L theanine, apigenin, CBN. I also take hydroxyzine 75mg and Dayvigo 5 mg. My question is at three months out is this hindering my healing. Im averaging about 4 hours of sleep a night right now.

[Ta...]

Is there one that maybe you could do without? Perhaps if you cut out one, or part of one, you might feel a difference.

[Ta...]

I wouldn’t think any of them are hindering your healing @[Jo...]

All I would ask  is - am I having any clear reactions to one or more of these supplements?

If you don’t think you are, then I would just continue with whatever protocol you have.

Having said that… many members believe that supplements have neither helped nor hindered their recovery, so just do what you feel is right for you. 

I think unless you are having clear reactions to the supplements, any anxious concern over whether or not to take the supplements will most likely have more of an adverse effect than the supplements themselves. 

• Like 2

[Jo...]
34 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Is there one that maybe you could do without? Perhaps if you cut out one, or part of one, you might feel a difference.

I haven’t had any reactions to any of the supplements. I feel like I’m getting better I still don’t want to be on anything herbs/meds. My thought right now is to taper all the herbs and meds at the same time. My naturepathic Dr told me the herbs will NOT slow my healing. I have had a couple of naturopaths that deal with benzo withdrawal tell me that just because a herb is a gaba agonist it will not do any damage. Some actually increase Neuroplasicity like Apigenin even tho it binds to gaba receptors but it actually provides neuroprotective affect and increases Neuroplasicity. So I can’t imagine it would hinder healing. I don’t know I just know I’m doing the best I can and @[Ta...] I think you’re right worrying about this is prolly doing more harm than actually taking them lol 😂 

• Like 2

[Ta...]

You’re still in early stage recovery @[Jo...], so it’s only natural that you will be symptomatic and prone to connecting dots that may not exist or have any bearing on your symptoms or recovery. Just try and avoid stress and anxiety from focussing too much thought on questioning everything. I think you would actually know… have clear signs if you were now suddenly reacting to those supplements. I would probably just put it all down to your normal recovery symptom profile. 👍

• Like 2

[Ta...]

All these different things must be having SOME effect on you, or you wouldn't be taking them. I became extremely sensitive to chamomile tea at one point, and it made me tremble from head to toe. But now I have a cup every day, and it helps me. If they are helping you then that's good. But you are taking seven different substances that ALL act on your brain. It just seems like it might be a lot for one brain to handle when it is already damaged. And, of course, doctors will say anything and sometimes have no idea what they are doing, and sometimes lie, as we have all found out the hard way.

• Like 1

[Jo...]
14 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

You’re still in early stage recovery @[Jo...], so it’s only natural that you will be symptomatic and prone to connecting dots that may not exist or have any bearing on your symptoms or recovery. Just try and avoid stress and anxiety from focussing too much thought on questioning everything. I think you would actually know… have clear signs if you were now suddenly reacting to those supplements. I would probably just put it all down to your normal recovery symptom profile. 👍

I

1 minute ago, [[T...] said:

All these different things must be having SOME effect on you, or you wouldn't be taking them. I became extremely sensitive to chamomile tea at one point, and it made me tremble from head to toe. But now I have a cup every day, and it helps me. If they are helping you then that's good. But you are taking seven different substances that ALL act on your brain. It just seems like it might be a lot for one brain to handle when it is already damaged. And, of course, doctors will say anything and sometimes have no idea what they are doing, and sometimes lie, as we have all found out the hard way.

I’m sure they do to some point but I haven’t noticed any negative response to them. What’s crazy I was taking twice as much during my taper back in November and December. Magnesium l threonate really helps with the hypnic jerk adrenaline surges right when I’m about to pass out. They still happen but not as much as they use to. I’ll get like two or three a night now. I am going to be cutting back on the supplants because I cut them in half about a month ago. I’m going to half it again. I still think I need to take my b complex, vitamin D and DHEA. I did a hormone panel test and I was low on DHEA and I was very low in Vitamin D. I know ever since I have been taking those I fell like things have gotten better. I have changed my diet this week to incorporate more polythenals to decrease inflammation and improve gut health as well. I am going to cut back on the herbal sleep supplements tho and try to keep tapering my meds 

• Like 1

[Jo...]

I was hoping to be pretty mush healed by now since I was considered short term usage but I’m hoping to be in a lot better place by May.

[Ta...]

Give yourself time, @[Jo...], I’m sure you’ll make steady progress. Many short term users recover within 6 months. 

[Ta...]
2 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I

I’m sure they do to some point but I haven’t noticed any negative response to them. What’s crazy I was taking twice as much during my taper back in November and December. Magnesium l threonate really helps with the hypnic jerk adrenaline surges right when I’m about to pass out. They still happen but not as much as they use to. I’ll get like two or three a night now. I am going to be cutting back on the supplants because I cut them in half about a month ago. I’m going to half it again. I still think I need to take my b complex, vitamin D and DHEA. I did a hormone panel test and I was low on DHEA and I was very low in Vitamin D. I know ever since I have been taking those I fell like things have gotten better. I have changed my diet this week to incorporate more polythenals to decrease inflammation and improve gut health as well. I am going to cut back on the herbal sleep supplements tho and try to keep tapering my meds 

You are doing really well! I am especially glad to hear about the polyphenols and improvements in your diet. Just keep on going as you have been and healing is bound to happen!

I wish you all the best!

[Jo...]
10 hours ago, [[T...] said:

Give yourself time, @[Jo...], I’m sure you’ll make steady progress. Many short term users recover within 6 months. 

I’m assuming two months usage in total is short term usage at least

[Ta...]

It is short term @[Jo...], although some experience dependancy even in a couple of weeks usage. But ‘yes’ you are short term. 👍