Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Would like to get off .5 mg clonazepam after 30 years...

[jc...]

Hi all,

I've been on C for almost 30 years--it was the only thing that helped my fragmented and unrefreshing sleep (due to anxiety disorder). I've gone off it a couple of times (but not sure i ever got all the way off it) but always go back on, due to worse sleep/anxiety.

I'm not sure the med helps me anymore. I worry about accidentally not having it and suffering the consequences, on a particular night; i worry about getting old and not having it or needing to get off it and not doing it correctly; I feel like i should try to get off it, now, and maybe I'd feel better. But should i? Is it too hard? 

Should i work with a doc or should i try the taper method by myself? Maybe a dumb question? 

Thanks for advice!! 

[Re...]

Hello @[jc...], welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I approved your first post. 

This is a wonderful and helpful community to help you with your questions about benzodiazepines. Please take your time and read some sources patiently and decide how/if you want to get off them. 

Many senior members tapered off from benzodiazepines successfully. 

Our good source of information is the Ashton Manual, please get informed about taper strategies (links added), these are from the website of the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition. 

We usually suggest to taper 5-10 % from a previous dose every 2-3 weeks with your preferred taper method and generally adjusting taper speed to your symptoms. 

Please share any further questions you have.

Edited by [Re...]
Correction of word order mistake

[mi...]

'Adjust taper speed to symptoms.'   That's sound advice.   Been doing 100 .5 C a month for too long.  5 years?  I tried to go to .25 once a night and my phrenic and vagus nerves went nuts - I went to ER thinking I had pneumonia.   

Last month I cold turkey quit opiates.  That was hard but easier than benzos.  Then I got a flu.  My lungs have been clogged with the thickest phlegm.   They did an x-ray, normal lungs.  I was afraid of pleurisy or pneumonia.  My oxygen blood count was normal- thought I wasn't breathing enough.  Air hunger.  So it was a relief to know it was normal.

Read a few things here and realize it's all benzo withdrawal symptoms.   So I am going from 100 to 50 a month for a while, then I'll try going down to 30 a month etc.  My heart was racing so much had to lie in bed with my feet elevated.

[je...]

Hi @[mi...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Please feel free to start your own thread if you’d like tapering feedback and support. 

[mi...]

Thank you.  Reading good info on this site.  Benzo is by far the hardest drug to quit.

• Like 1