Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Accidental alcohol consumption

[Ni...]

Hi everyone, I am 2 years off Valium and I’m currently in hospital. I marked down that I can’t have alcohol and also verbally told them but they still served me a lasagne full of red wine :( . For the last two nights I have had anxiety and I’ve woken up early in the morning, unable to get back to sleep. I’m definitely in a wave. How long can I expect this to last? Will it pass? Can’t believe I came into hospital to get better and I’m leaving more messed up than when I came in

• Like 1

[PE...]
9 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

Hi everyone, I am 2 years off Valium and I’m currently in hospital. I marked down that I can’t have alcohol and also verbally told them but they still served me a lasagne full of red wine :( . For the last two nights I have had anxiety and I’ve woken up early in the morning, unable to get back to sleep. I’m definitely in a wave. How long can I expect this to last? Will it pass? Can’t believe I came into hospital to get better and I’m leaving more messed up than when I came in

When using wine in food you boil it for several minutes so all alcohol vanish into the air.

If not it tastes awful.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

[wi...]

How odd a hospital would use alcohol in the patient meals. That’s just absurd!

• Like 2

[PE...]
4 hours ago, [[w...] said:

I'm an ex chef. Only really expensive luxury restaurants using real whine when making a red whine sauce. All others use a non alcoholic substitute because its to expensive to use a real one. And as I said even if they would use it they boil it with the rest of ingredients. 

So no you don't get drunk by having a red whine sauce to your stake lol

[An...]

Hi @[Ni...]. How much longer will you be there? My very strong feeling is that you are reacting to an additive or to the histamine in the lasagna. Hospital food is known for having additives like msg. Also, tomato sauce is very, very high histamine. I absolutely cannot have tomato sauce right now. Last time I had it, I was up all night with imsomnia and waves of anxiety. It was ridiculous. Just cannot do it.

I would try to avoid the highest histamine foods for now and definitely anything processed that could have msg in it. I know that's hard to do in hospital. 

Hoping this passes soon for you. Reactions to food typically last 24 to 48 hours for me.🧡

[Kh...]
19 hours ago, [[n...] said:

I'm an ex chef. Only really expensive luxury restaurants using real whine when making a red whine sauce. All others use a non alcoholic substitute because its to expensive to use a real one. And as I said even if they would use it they boil it with the rest of ingredients. 

So no you don't get drunk by having a red whine sauce to your stake lol

As Peppe points out, surely alcohol was cooked off.  And why would a hospital be putting alcohol in any dish?  Hope ur symptoms subside. I love red wine (white too ha) and miss it sooo much.  I really hope as things normalize I can drink a bit again.  I have tried a couple times last week or so and it seems to set off the head and ear pressure.  Will be a total shame if I can’t enjoy again at some point. 

Edited by [Kh...]
  • Like 1

[Kh...]
On 04/03/2024 at 16:02, [[w...] said:

Makes very little sense huh? 

[PE...]
6 hours ago, [[K...] said:

As Peppe points out, surely alcohol was cooked off.  And why would a hospital be putting alcohol in any dish?  Hope ur symptoms subside. I love red wine (white too ha) and miss it sooo much.  I really hope as things normalize I can drink a bit again.  I have tried a couple times last week or so and it seems to set off the head and ear pressure.  Will be a total shame if I can’t enjoy again at some point. 

I tried too and I didn't get worse. Only two beers but I could feel the effects from them. But still have a tiny amount of nassua present so I didn't really enjoy the taste. I like whine as well.

[Kh...]
9 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I tried too and I didn't get worse. Only two beers but I could feel the effects from them. But still have a tiny amount of nassua present so I didn't really enjoy the taste. I like whine as well.

Early in my taper a little wine did not seem to bother me…now that I am in acute?  It has ramped my symptoms.  I will hold off for a couple weeks and see how I feeel.  I did have a little window today, I think. 

• Like 1

[PE...]
3 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

Early in my taper a little wine did not seem to bother me…now that I am in acute?  It has ramped my symptoms.  I will hold off for a couple weeks and see how I feeel.  I did have a little window today, I think. 

That's good news :)

then just wait with having a glass of whine until you better. 

• Like 1

[An...]
On 04/03/2024 at 19:02, [[w...] said:

I was thinking the exact same thing @[wi...] after reading the OP's post.

@[Ni...] What kind of hospital was this?

What were you there for?

I have had wine with dinner but I don't think I have ever had it in my dinner (literally).

image.gif.8648dd955b9e53f3d9813e8f0f0b8549.gif

[Co...]
On 05/03/2024 at 00:04, [[n...] said:

When using wine in food you boil it for several minutes so all alcohol vanish into the air.

If not it tastes awful.

This! :)

• Like 2