Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Clonazepam to Diazapam

[du...]

Okay so after the realisation that my taper was too fast and my body wasn't happy with major confusion pains .... Etc my Dr switched me from Clonaz to Diazapam.... Equivalent dose. Apparently it is easier to reduce smaller amounts to reduce side effects.

Problem I'm having is I was starting to actually get some mental clarity with the Clonazepam drops and was feeling really positive even with the crap withdrawal stuff.

Now I've started the diazapam I feel really sedated.... Like I've been taking sleeping pills, I know it has a longer half life ... But given it's the equivalent dose it seems odd. Has anyone else had this issue?

[Br...]

We often see members report the two biggest issues when switching to diazepam are sedation and depression.  Fortunately members report that once they adjust to the diazepam those two issues tend to lift.  

When did you switch?  What was your dose of clonazepam and what is your dose of diazepam?

• Like 1

[du...]
10 hours ago, [[B...] said:

We often see members report the two biggest issues when switching to diazepam are sedation and depression.  Fortunately members report that once they adjust to the diazepam those two issues tend to lift.  

When did you switch?  What was your dose of clonazepam and what is your dose of diazep

Started on  3 mg Clonazepam and 2 mg lorazepam 3 years ago, but only been on my withdrawal journey for the last 6-9 months. I got down to 1.5 mg Clonazepam had some seizures/major confusion.... Because the Dr had dropped me from 2mg to 1.5mg too quickly. Put me back to 2mg Clonaz to stop withdrawal issues.... Everything got better do put me on 20mg of diazapam. They said it's easier to reduce diazapam No issues with the switch just intense sedation and complete lack of motivation that's hit. Took approx 2 weeks to hit and it feels like I've been taking sleeping pills. 

So now Dr has reduced me to 15mg diazapam.

So to sum up 2mg Clonaz replaced by 20mg diazapam. Now reduced to 15mg.

[Ta...]

Hi @[du...]

Equivelency 2mg clon = 30mg diazepam 

It seems you’ve had no issue with the crossover so the above doesn’t really matter. 

I think I would just be watchful that you don’t drop by another 5mg too quick.

It’s generally suggested to taper between 5-10% every 10-14 days, or as symptoms allow. Just be watchful. 

Im tapering Valium (crossed from clonazepam after ct) and the sedation was terrible for the first 3 or 4 weeks, but it did ease completely for me. I went from passing out in the chair with my chin on my chest among visitors to not noticing effects after dosing at all. I hope things settle down and motivation returns soon. 

Edited by [Ta...]
  • Like 1

[du...]

Thank you and Brighterday.

It helps so much to know I'm not alone with these symptoms. No one else really understands.

I will watch the dose reduction... And have said I want to do this slowly. I really don't want what I went through previously to happen. 

Again thank you both so much.

[Br...]

@[du...].I meant to welcome you to BB!   I'm so glad your only real issue since the switch is sedation.  It may take some time to adjust to - it's different for every individual.  I would give it more time before making any further reductions.  As @[Ta...] notes, we typically suggest making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or as symptoms allow.  We find this is the best way to keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum so you're able to function as well as possible during your taper and withdrawal.  But even better is to slow down and/or make smaller cuts if you start to experience difficult symptoms.  I hope the sedation starts to lift soon.

We're glad you found us - please keep reaching out for support and ask any questions you have.

• Like 1
  • Love 1