Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

terrifying surges

[ji...]

can any one explain whats going on. at night when im falling asleep i am now getting horrible surges of something though my face, head, hands, and legs . it feels like something running though me. it is adrenalene?   yesterday it felt like my  system was returning to normal. i spent a good part of the day out in my yard.  then as the evening came i had the feeling of bee stings all over my skin and weird sensations all over different parts of the body.  i knew something was coming on.  and as soon as i closed my eyes to try and rest, the surging thoughout my body started . it continued all night.  when its happening , i feel like my face , head and hands  are going to explode or somthing..   i feel ,like im dying because my nervouse system is so messed up.   i wish docters understood what happening.  i would even go back on the poison if i thought it would help but its not helping any of these pysical symptoms.    does anyone know about this? could the surging be my adrenalene not working right? i really cant beleive whats happening.  and i dont know how im holding on~~jill

[ji...]

i havent even jumped yet.  i was at my last 0.1 mg and have doing fine all the way down.  except for 2 times when i took an antibiotic.  but this just came on out of nowhere about a month ago.   these nightly surges are terrifying me .   i would live with all the other symtoms if this one would stop or at least not be so intense

[Ma...]

I believe it’s not just adrenal surges, but cortisol dumps, hormone dysregulation and your body adjusting to night, a pre-sleep. Does your body also heat up?

It also sounds, to me, like some neuropathy is occurring. I read someone dissolves cayenne pepper in warm water at night to calm those nerve endings that are going out of whack.

I experienced something similar last fall and used ice packs, switching throughout the night until everything gave out through exhaustion and I slept. Obviously not a great sleep, but we do what we can. 

Can you take Tylenol? That also helped me.

• Like 1

[ji...]

yes.. my body does heat up too.  is this something that i will die from?  im so afraid

[Ma...]

No, no you’re not going to die. Everyone’s body heats up at night but we just experience it much, much more intensely. Your body is preparing to sleep, it’s going into ‘nocturnal mode’.

Do you have a TV in your bedroom? If so, go to YouTube and either put on ocean sounds, rain sounds and put the screen on black. The background soothing sounds will help calm your system and mind.

Hi @[Ra...]

• Love 1

[ji...]

is this symtom common?  i havent read much of anything about these crazy surges.  i read a lot about the jerks waking people but not much about this crazy symptom.  i litterally feel like im exploding.  i wish i could discribe it better

[Ma...]

Yesterday you felt normal, right? I believe this is just another transient symptom.

It happens to me and I also have difficulty breathing then as well.

It used to completely freak me out but now I just say, Okay, body, I know you’re struggling to get it together, so I’m just going to be patient with you as you work.

Jen Swan has a video explaining how she visualizes little workmen in yellow hats working to repair her nervous system. In this fashion she, me, you can kind of separate the emotion from the body. Try to disconnect and observe.

Have you watched any of her videos on YouTube? Search jenswanphd. I find them extremely helpful.

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 3

[Ta...]

@[ji...]

Are you talking about the kind of surge/surges you would imagine experiencing if you suddenly realised you were about to be hit by a car? 

[ji...]

no.. its like something rushing through my body/veins.  like im being filled with something and it has a rythem to it.  

[Ta...]

Yes…… it’s like a different more physical experience of anxiety running through your veins

• Like 1

[Ta...]

@[ji...] I used to try and explain it to others, and my only way of describing it was as poison coursing through my veins… legs, arms, hands, face, etc… 

I know it well… it won’t hurt you! 

• Like 1

[Ta...]

@[ji...]

It may come and go at various times, but just know it won’t hurt you.

I have it right now, and I have had it come and go for years. 

The main thing is to relieve your panic over it, because panic (as with every other symptom) will only intensify it. 

• Like 1

[ji...]

som sorry you have this too.   didnt you become terrified when it first happened?

[Ta...]

I’ve been very emotionally charged and stressed lately, so it is very present right now

[Ta...]

It freaked me out. I spent months trying to figure out what it was… telling people I felt like I had poison running through all my veins. I’m quite conditioned it now, although, I hate the anxiety itself.

[ji...]

ive always felt so healthy and this has me feeling like im the sickest person alive.   i read stories of terrible lives people were living while going though this.  and i have thank God every night that i was doing well.  and now i feel like im going to be the worset case senerio

[ne...]

@[ji...] Hi! I have followed along your journey for a while and here's my best advice which I'm sure you've heard before. You HAVE to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. You seem tempted lately to up your dose and as though you're losing some strength which I get. If you want to get through this, you have to accept the symptoms and the craziness of it all. It's not easy one bit; I still have a lot of symptoms at 14 months off but the only way I have dug to this point is by having faith in time and accepting the crap. I am so rooting you on and hang in there. It's so unpleasant, I know, but the only way out, as those who have gone before us say, is to push through. <3 

• Like 3

[Ta...]

You won’t be @[ji...]

You will eventually condition yourself to whatever you experience. 

‘Try and remember… it’s just a sensation happening in your body, nothing more…

• Like 1

[ji...]

@[ne...].. i know you are right.   ive just become some terrified and discouraged by this. congratulations on being free of this.  you are amazing... wishing you continued health & healing