Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Heavy head

Hey everyone,

How common is having a heavy head symptom? It is one of my most bothersome symptom because it makes so hard to move around and do stuff. My head also can push me in different directions while standing up or walking, like i could be walking and my head pushes me backwards. 

I find it strange that I have this symptom after a good night's sleep, i would expect things to get better. Is there any scientific explaining to the heavy head? Like what is going on? It is not 24/7 but is pretty constant. Thx everyone

Edit: some days i have a lot of anxiety and dp/dr with no heavy head and on days when my anxiety is lower i have a heavy head. So strange

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

[Pa...]

I have this as well. I have pre existing neck issues, CCI. If you didn’t have this issue pre benzo, it’s likely a withdrawal, esp with migrating symptoms that you describe.

• Like 1

Could this be a neck issue as well? I do have neck issues but i don't know if they are related to this

[Kh...]

I have heavy head and head pressure and ear pressure and ringing. I guess the symptoms can be all over the place 

• Like 1

"...I find it strange that I have this symptom after a good night's sleep, i would expect things to get better. 

...some days i have a lot of anxiety and dp/dr with no heavy head and on days when my anxiety is lower i have a heavy head. So strange"

@[...], hi!)  I think it's one of the most common symptoms and should be just waited out  like anything else.  I'm with you here and, yes, it really bothers no end 🥺 but mine is, at least, not that painful anymore and not every day either. It comes in waves even on my bad days now. How long have you had it?

What you said above could have been written by me to the letter. Exactly my case. I've no good scientific explanation, just think it mostly to do with head and neck muscles. Sometimes the heaviness gives way to sharp shoots of pain here and there now and it brings me relaxation for a while. That's why i think muscles are responsible. Benzos are a great muscle relaxer, so it's quite expectable to have muscles working their way back to functioning on their own so painfully. As for me, any issue about the head is worse than anywhere else. Think bc it's too clouse to the brain where the recovery is taking place.

Good luck to you! Hope this symptom will soon subside!)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@[...]

On another note i have been watching some youtuve videos about the neck and apparently a bad neck can cause all of these symptoms as well. So i wonder is the medication doing all.of this or could it be a bad neck affecting the nervous system. Apprently the first two vertebrea of our necks (c1 and c2) are highly connected to the nervous system and when they are not in place, they can put the brain in a chronic fight or flight state and poor blood flow to the brain and poor detoxification..so i wonder.. i started neck exercises yesterday to try to.fix my "military neck " maybe this can bring some relief.. i always jump from one thing to the other thinking "oh maybe thats the solution!"

Edited by [...]

I was short term benzo user but used antidepressants on multiple occasions, i think the damage was from antidepressants but im not sure. I also tried lots of supplements that sometimes helped and sometimes backfired. Its a long story. Ive been off now antidepressants for almost 3 months and i used a small dose of benzo for about 3 weeks after that (but not daily) and used a small dosage intermittently when on antidepressants. 

I took antidepressants for panic disorder and anxiety, and it worked well. After my taper i started having severe brain and neurological symptoms that i didnt have before and many other stuff. Like i dont get it, i took.these meds.for mental health because i was going through a hard.time.in my life, all got better again so finished treatment and stopped.my antidepressants and have been suffering ever since. 90% of my symptoms are brain, and neurological related and when i.discuss it.with my.doctor he tells me.i had a relapse.in anxiety......

[PE...]

I had migraine as a kid and this heavy head thingy feels just the same. Lot's of coffee in the morning kills it for me. I don't get any nasty reactions for it either.

54 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I had migraine as a kid and this heavy head thingy feels just the same. Lot's of coffee in the morning kills it for me. I don't get any nasty reactions for it either.

Peppe, for me, it's different. Migraines are worse. I'm not functional if i have one. Used to have this pain while in benzo tolerance. Can't bear even thinking of it:crazy: And yes doctors told me to drink coffee to feel better. I was really happy about it. I like coffee and drink it too)

• Like 1

[PE...]

Yeah I'm a mess before my morning coffee. Slight of nassau and heavy hurting head. It just vanish after two cups of strong coffee. 

Clever doc you got there :balloon:

• Like 1