Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Need some advise after a Valium switch from Ativan

[Ma...]

Hi everyone,

I need some help or insight.

I did a switch from Lorazepam to Valium on February 7th, I switch from 0,11mg lorazepam to 1mg Valium. 
At first it was a bit rough, but after 5-6 days, I started to feel a lot better. I was functional. 
One week after the switch, because it was going so well, I had an excess of confidence and I drop to 0,8mg of Valium. Realizing few days later it was too much too soon, I went up to 0,9mg of Valium and I am trying to stabilize there since then. 
So tomorrow, it will be 2 weeks since I updosed to 0,9mg. 
Is it normal that I am still feeling very bad? My usual pattern of 2 good days for one crappy day doesn’t seem to come back. It is only crappy or very crappy days…

Do I have to be worry about this, is this normal? 
I wonder if it is the new «  normal me » on Valium. I hope it is not. I’ve had so much hope in this switch.

I have to add the fact that I have a lot of stress at work and in my personal life right now. 
So thank you for giving me your two cent.

Have a nice evening everyone…

[kn...]

I did a cross over to diazepam (Valium) when I first started my taper.  I was taking 4mg of clonazepam (Klonopin) and 1mg of lorazepam (daily)  when I started this whole thing.  The doses I had been taking led to a starting dose of 60mg of diazepam and I've been working my way down from there.  That's been two and a half years ago and I'm still at it.  By last August I was at 2.5 mg and decided to knock it down to 2.  I hung there, waiting to stabilize for 5 months.  By early Feb. of this year, I realized it wasn't going to happen.  I weighed the issue in here with folks and decided to up dose.  I tried going back to 2.5, then 3 and finally wound up at 4.  I've been there since Feb. 4 of this year, and I'm finally starting to feel a little bit better.  I think the thing that did me in was that .5 mg cut last August.  Too much at one time.  My success rate, even though I've never got as low as you, has been about the same.  Some folks have jumped from where you're at, but I would never attempt it.  I wish you the best, but if time goes by and you don't feel any better, especially with what's going on at work, you may have to up dose again or wait a bit longer.  From what I've heard here on the site, eight weeks is about the maximum time to wait in order to see if you'll stabilize.  I am very sensitive to psych meds and it sounds like you may be too. I've also been told that "stabilizing" doesn't necessarily mean being well, but a person's got to be able to function. 

[kn...]
Just now, [[k...] said:

I did a cross over to diazepam (Valium) when I first started my taper.  I was taking 4mg of clonazepam (Klonopin) and 1mg of lorazepam (daily)  when I started this whole thing.  The doses I had been taking led to a starting dose of 60mg of diazepam and I've been working my way down from there.  That's been two and a half years ago and I'm still at it.  By last August I was at 2.5 mg and decided to knock it down to 2.  I hung there, waiting to stabilize for 5 months.  By early Feb. of this year, I realized it wasn't going to happen.  I weighed the issue in here with folks and decided to up dose.  I tried going back to 2.5, then 3 and finally wound up at 4.  I've been there since Feb. 4 of this year, and I'm finally starting to feel a little bit better.  I think the thing that did me in was that .5 mg cut last August.  Too much at one time.  My success rate, even though I've never got as low as you, has been about the same.  Some folks have jumped from where you're at, but I would never attempt it.  I wish you the best, but if time goes by and you don't feel any better, especially with what's going on at work, you may have to up dose again or wait a bit longer.  From what I've heard here on the site, eight weeks is about the maximum time to wait in order to see if you'll stabilize.  I am very sensitive to psych meds and it sounds like you may be too. I've also been told that "stabilizing" doesn't necessarily mean being well, but a person's got to be able to function. 

[Ta...]

It could be that you and diazepam just don't mix. I tried really hard to transition from lorazepam to diazepam, and it was a complete nightmare. I almost didn't survive. So I went back onto lorazepam, and I'm at .375 and holding. I've read many reports about how difficult it is to taper lorazepam at extremely low doses. If I ever get as low as you were I will go very slowly and carefully, indeed!

• Like 1

[Ma...]

Thank you for your reply. 
The last two days has been better. I will continue with Valium for now, I really don’t want to go back on Ativan, I even flushed the pills I had left. It was impossible for me to cut and weight the pills with lorazepam, they were too tiny at this low dose. 
I hope it will be easier to taper with diazepam. At least, it is way easier to cut and weight the pills. 
Because the other option at this point for me is to stop everything. I don’t go through another change.