Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Sciatica

[Ka...]

I have sciatica for 4 months. It got a bit better once, except my knees, and swelling subsided, but has continued to get worse afterward. The pain went down to calves, and whole legs got swollen again. I do stretching legs but these are so tight like squeezed with rubber bands that it is tough to stand for a few minutes. Even sitting on soft cessions for a short time makes my left buttocks painful. My doc did not prescribed anything for it as I said I am sensitive to many kinds of medications. I feel this pain is eternal. Anyone has recovered from these symptoms? I need positive responses as I am worried about this so much. Thank you. 

Edited by [Ka...]

[Bu...]

Hey @[Ka...],

I'm sorry about the sciatica, that sounds awful.  I had a minor brush with this several years back and it hurt!  I didn't take any meds for it, but I did a lot of stretching and I think that helped.  It eventually just kind of "fizzled out", for lack of a better term.

Do you think that it is benzo related?  Or something that is happening that is unrelated but making withdrawal worse?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ka...]
Posted (edited)

Thank you,BurnTheShips, I do not know if it is related to withdrawals, it happened suddenly after waking up. but I have read many posts about it here in this forum, and some chiropractor’s blogs said it has something to do with adrenal fatigue. But my doc said it can’t be checked by blood test because of its circadian rhythms, and saliva test is not covered by my insurance, so not sure what caused it. But I feel the pain gets a lot worse after stressful events, which I am intolerant to since withdrawals.
How long did the back pain last? I know the healing timeframe differs people by people, but I need hope. 

Edited by [Ka...]

[Bu...]

@[Ka...],

It was about 11 years back, well before my taper, but I had been on clonazepam for about 10 years at that point.  I don't know if it had anything to do with it or not, either.  I remember that it lasted several months off and on.  I used some compression on my legs for the swelling and pain and it really seemed to help.  Sometimes heat helped and other times ice did, I just kind of had to experiment each day. 

But it did go away. :)   

• Love 1

[Ka...]

Thank you. I will try wearing stockings and see how it feels, as I am scared to take even water pills. What bothers me is it is not on and off, but consistent:( hope mine also normalizes with time. thank you for the quick response. 

• Like 1

[Pa...]

I feel your pain @[Ka...], I'm currently dealing with a mild case but I've been in your shoes twice with very rough bouts of it.  I believe time is the best remedy for sciatica, gee, where have we heard that before? >:(

I went the whole route the first time I had it, massages, physical therapy, heat, icing, stretching and while those seemed to help a little, time was the true healer.

My sciatica was long after I recovered from benzodiazepines but it must be awful to deal with this on top of symptoms, my heart goes out to you. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ka...]
Posted (edited)

Thank you,Pamster, I thought it was only me having this at the late of withdrawals, so had blamed this on me and my family for many months, not knowing if this was relevant to benzo... so thank you thank you so much for relating to me. I almost gave up stretching lately but you gave me a motivation to restart it ❤️

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 2