Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cortisone Shot

While tapering ativan (total of 10 weeks use including tapering) I have developed a huge cyst next to my nose. I have been off for 5 days. It is not getting smaller only bigger. I am already in huge great deal of distress and this is one more thing adding to that. The dermatologist can take me on March 14th and I am wondering if I were to get a cortisone shot to get it to go down if it would be horrible? I really don’t wanna have to do this but I already have really low self esteem at the moment I look horrible for 5 months now after other previous med reactions before the benzo w/d & health issues and everything seems like a big deal- so this cyst really does. Thank you 

Edited by [Br...]

Cortisone is one of those that is pretty well documented to affect those in withdrawal. Search in the group to check out lots of posts about this.💜

49 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Cortisone is one of those that is pretty well documented to affect those in withdrawal. Search in the group to check out lots of posts about this.💜

Yes I had a shot in my upper back and had a reaction to it. It didn't last though. I hope the cyst goes away sweetie 😘 

[Li...]

Don’t do it. I had a corticosteroid shot about 10 weeks into my taper and I went into full blown akathesia. I believe it was a major setback for me and prolonged my suffering. 

[Re...]

I have spoken with many people who take steroids and it worsens or prolongs their symptoms or gives them new ones. It is a huge risk and I personally would not do it. The derm can extract without that. I used to have cystic acne and I was never given steroids for it. Try the manual extraction first or try warm compresses.

[bw...]

Be warned. Could cause you to go into full blown acute. Akathesia included.

Steroid Ear drops did me in at 6years off.

[Ta...]

It seems like the cyst might be your body trying to get rid of poisons probably as a reaction to the Benzo. So, your wonderful body is trying to help you heal! I agree that a warm compress might help, and maybe some warm baths or sauna would help you sweat out more impurities. In the meantime, while waiting to see the dermatologist, maybe you could wear a breathing mask. I believe this is still socially acceptable nowadays. The cyst will soon be only a memory. Be kind and loving to yourself, Sweetie. 💕